Why don’t we find some midrange shots | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why don’t we find some midrange shots

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
We don't have outside shooters like Baylor, Nova, or the Zags.
We don’t have outside shooters but we want to take more jump shots that are lower percentage? If you want to argue we should pound the ball inside more id agree but this mid range stuff is absurd.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We don’t have outside shooters but we want to take more jump shots that are lower percentage? If you want to argue we should pound the ball inside more id agree but this mid range stuff is absurd.
Shot chart from today:
678540A5-8B21-4897-B6C1-F005D22E21A0.jpeg

Are you sure arguing for more threes is really the super genius position you think it is?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
As a Yankees fan, this is the same attitude of sticking to the analytics that has plagued that franchise for the past 4 years.

Not saying we have to make the midrange game a staple of our offense, but sports also has a mental aspect to it. This isn’t NBA2K.

But when shooters like Hawk and Polley (if we must play him) can’t hit iron from 3, we need to get them some easier shots that get their confidence up.

Jerome Dyson used to have a pregame routine of taking 100 “jumpshots” from the paint to get his feel and see the ball go through the rim.

Sports is about managing the analytics and the intangibles (like confidence).

CL82

Reaction Score
I’m not arguing for more 3’s. I’m arguing against more mid ranges.
Do you want to take another look at that chart?

Reaction Score

I don't think anyone is saying take low percentage 18 footers here.

Cole and Hawkins have a pretty solid mid range game within ~10ft already. It's definitely a strength to their games. If guys like Akok and Jackson can add a little mid range game our offense would be improved.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Do you want to take another look at that chart?
No successful basketball coach in college or the NBA schemes to take more mid range jumpers. If you want to go against proven basketball analytical data that’s your prerogative.

Reaction Score
No successful basketball coach in college or the NBA schemes to take more mid range jumpers. If you want to go against proven basketball analytical data that’s your prerogative.

Our current roster isn't built like modern NBA or top college teams. It's built like an old school Big East team.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Mid ranges also lend themselves to more follow ups and different rebound situations. We can't go strictly by shooting percentages. With the height we have, that should favor us.
Is there statistics that prove that mid ranges lead to more offensive rebounds? I don’t think that’s true

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Our current roster isn't built like modern NBA or top college teams. It's built like an old school Big East team.
Then we should get more inside 2’s rather than mid range 2’s.

Reaction Score
In the era of three point shots, Our coach has managed to put together a team that can’t shoot them. Jackson plays the 2 or 3 and has some of the worst shot mechanics I’ve ever seen.

Reaction Score
I’m not arguing for more 3’s. I’m arguing against more mid ranges.
Mid ranges also lend themselves to more follow ups and different rebound situations. We can't go strictly by shooting percentages. With the height we have, that should favor us.

Does anyone have Donyell's shot chart available?

Reaction Score
Is there statistics that prove that mid ranges lead to more offensive rebounds? I don’t think that’s true
I don't have that data, but I'd like to see it.

CL82

Reaction Score
Thank you, I appreciate your permission.

Do you understand how analytics works? You apply the percentage of the shot to the value of the shot and it yields a value. But this particular team isn’t shooting well enough from three for the math to work.

The problem with your theory is you’re saying well as an average for all of NCAA basketball the three is a better shot. You’re not wrong as far as that goes, but unfortunately Hurley coaches this team and for this particular team, taking a high volume of shots from behind the arch isn’t a winning proposition.

CL82

Reaction Score
It may favor the 2, but not the mid-range 2
If you look at that chart, I actually suspect it may actually favor the mid range two, but I haven’t done the math. But I think the point is that we need to be judicious about the number of threes we take.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Thank you, I appreciate your permission.

Do you understand how analytics works? You apply the percentage of the shot to the value of the shot and it yields a value. But this particular team isn’t shooting well enough from three for the math to work.

The problem with your theory is you’re saying well as an average for all of NCAA basketball the three is a better shot. You’re not wrong as far as that goes, but unfortunately Hurley coaches this team and for this particular team, taking a high volume of shots from behind the arch isn’t a winning proposition.
Not really a theory if it’s an approach that is proven and utilized by all good NBA and NCAA teams.

Reaction Score
If you look at that chart, I actually suspect it may actually favor the mid range two, but I haven’t done the math. But I think the point is that we need to be judicious about the number of threes we take.
We definitely need to stop taking so many 3's, especially contested ones. Not sure what we shoot on mid-range shots but we'd have to shoot 45% on 2's to get more points per possession than the 30% we shoot on 3's. Doesn't account for any rebounding stats so it's not a real answer, but a good judge

Reaction Score
Then we should get more inside 2’s rather than mid range 2’s.
I’ll go with the data that we saw today in which we scored more points than we have in the last 5 out of 6 games….between RJ and Martin floaters and stop and pull ups- that’s what won us the game and scored more points. Not threes nor Sanogo turning the ball over 3 times he had the ball in the paint.

Ball in hoop = good. Missed threes = bad. Going inside to Sanogo and him taking objectively horrible shots or turning the ball over = bad.

What got us the ball in the hoop the most tonight?

Reaction Score
We definitely need to stop taking so many 3's, especially contested ones. Not sure what we shoot on mid-range shots but we'd have to shoot 45% on 2's to get more points per possession than the 30% we shoot on 3's. Doesn't account for any rebounding stats so it's not a real answer, but a good judge
Tonight we let MU back in the game by missing 3's. Theory, approach, what have you. We missed and MU came back to within 1 freaking point.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
I’ll go with the data that we saw today in which we scored more points than we have in the last 5 out of 6 games….between RJ and Martin floaters and stop and pull ups- that’s what won us the game and scored more points. Not threes nor Sanogo turning the ball over 3 times he had the ball in the paint.

Ball in hoop = good. Missed threes = bad. Going inside to Sanogo and him taking objectively horrible shots or turning the ball over = bad.

What got us the ball in the hoop the most tonight?
Transition baskets which I’m all for and Tyrese and RJ being great. That’s what got the ball in the hoop most.

CL82

Reaction Score
Not really a theory if it’s an approach that is proven and utilized by all good NBA and NCAA teams.
You don’t understand math do you? At 30% the three is not a better shot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom