Why does ESPN disrespect the UCONN WOMEN? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why does ESPN disrespect the UCONN WOMEN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
Both ND and Baylor games ESPN did not introduce the UCONN starters.

I don't know if there is any merit to your argument, but perhaps because ESPN is based on Connecticut, they have to go out of their way to show they do not play favorites to UConn. I'm sure there are many who also say that ESPN favors UConn.

Reaction Score
You just need to go back and read his statements to the press back when the BC to ACC mess was evolving.
I hear ya, but none of us really knows what happened there, and suing everyone in the aftermath certainly did us no favors.

Reaction Score
I was at the game and UCONN was introduced. There was no fanfare and the pa was barely audible, but they did announce the starters. Most people we're watching the setup of the smoke and fire machines for the Baylor intro.

Reaction Score
Oops I just noticed the ESPN part. I can't speak to that as I was not watching on TV

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
We suck*d shooting wise and only lost to a very big team by 11 and I think the final MOV was due to our feeling of desperation in the last 3 minutes.
AND I HATE LANDERS because he hates Geno and UConn (he's jealous of everything UConn).

Statements on this post are so off the charts, I can't tell if people are serious or being sarcastic. In any case it is providing some laughs for me. Yo! Nan! Fire up the sarcasm filter that marks posts appropriately. :D:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Good God this is either a stupid post or a joke. Hoping it’s a joke. Must be a slow news day.

Reaction Score
I was at the game and UCONN was introduced. There was no fanfare and the pa was barely audible, but they did announce the starters. Most people we're watching the setup of the smoke and fire machines for the Baylor intro.
This is what happens almost All the Time... it happens in High School, College and Professional Sports. And in the case of our ESPN broadcast games vs ND and BU, the timing of the broadcast was key to no one watching on TV hearing the UCONN intro. I used to be the PA announcer for a High School Baseball Team. When I introduced the Visitor's Starting line up, I did so in a mono-tone voice with no excitement what so ever. Then when I introduced the Home Team it started with the Boom Box as loud as the speakers (and fans) could tolerate, with exciting "Jock Jams" type music followed by "AND NOW YOUR HOME TEAM... THE WESTERN BRANCH BRUINS.... " and the Players names were called out with excitement and inflexion on syllables and so on. It's the Home Team's perogative!

Let's not let our disappointment in the result of the game turn into a slam against ESPN or someone other than... Ya Know... Baylor came to play and had a great game plan.

Reaction Score
How about that ESPN has played a critical role in keeping UConn out of the ACC! I think that fact speaks for itself. Such was stated by then BC AD and Connecticut native (traitor) DeFillippo.
You know, I never heard that anywhere. Doesn't mean it isn't true, but I was not aware that anyone was even suggesting that ESPN scuttled UConn's attempts to get into the ACC. I'm just not sure that I would believe anything that DiFillippo said on this subject. He was so against UConn at this point that I suspect he would have said anything to bolster his argument.

Reaction Score
Look the ACC chose Louisville over UConn while Susan Herbst and her rockstar were vacationing with the women at a tournament. That’s the story. We messed up. If I was ESPN I wouldn’t want any part of this 3 tier AAC either like a lot of recruits. Football, men’s basketball and women’s are all suffering from this horrible conference. UConn will never be the same. It’s not ESPNs fault it’s UConns lazy leaders.

Reaction Score
UConn getting left out of the ACC during conference realignment had nothing to do with the UConn President and AD being in the Virgin Island, or the lawsuit. It was strictly a business decision by the ACC/ESPN. Nothing more. You need to take emotions out of the equation. The ACC took the teams that they thought would provide them the most TV dollars. They went with the schools who they determined would provide the better football. It's too bad UConn was left out, but life goes on. UConn is making the best of the conference they are in. UConn will be ok.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ESPN's role is that they funded the evisceration of the Big East. Without ESPN money there would have been no ACC expansion.

The ACC took Louisville because FSU decided to stretch it's muscles and block the Tobacco road schools from taking a basketball school to replace Marlyland. It's my understanding that Herbst relied on her Tobacco Road connections when they said it was a UConn lock. Reasonable enough but she was caught flat footed by the FSU/Clemson power move. I doubt we could have done anything about it but I would have rather gone down swinging.

Nan's right though, the CR board talks about this stuff in detail.

Reaction Score
That would be surprising thought both teams introduced just a bigger production for the home team which UConn does or has as of last year

It would be beyond surprising. I've attended over 1000 college basketball games, and have yet to see one where the visiting team was not introduced.

Reaction Score
It would be beyond surprising. I've attended over 1000 college basketball games, and have yet to see one where the visiting team was not introduced.
@PoppaBear WAS AT THE GAME, and posted that UCONN was introduced to the crowd. It was not shown on ESPN because it's a timing thing. UCONN was introduced before coverage started, or before the announcers finished their start of the game mono log and started covering the game....happens all the time, Except during the NCAA Tournament when both teams get announced as part of the broadcast (normally anyway, especially in the later rounds).
Let's "Test the Theory"... UCONN Hosts USF next Sunday, Jan 13, 1:00PM coverage on ESPN. IF you watch the ESPN coverage you will likely not see USF introduced...but likely see UCONN introduced... But you can be sure, those at the game in person will confirm both teams were introduced to those in attendance at Gampel Pavilion. Then, UCONN plays at Louisville on Thursday, Jan 31st, 7:00PM, also broadcast on ESPN, we're likely to see Louisville intro'd ON TV, but not UCONN....but again, both starting lineups intro'd to the fans in attendance.

This is not an ESPN disrespect to UCONN thing. Head bang

Last edited:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
How about that ESPN has played a critical role in keeping UConn out of the ACC! I think that fact speaks for itself. Such was stated by then BC AD and Connecticut native (traitor) DeFillippo.

There are a lot of Syracuse alums working at ESPN, some in management. They deliberately helped to orchestrate the destruction of the old Big East because the ACC was a more valuable football property for them. That's why we are stuck in the AAC. ESPN accepts huge tax breaks from a cash strapped state and pays us back by undermining the flagship state university.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Take it to the conference realignment board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads