Why do we walk so much? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Why do we walk so much?

Reaction Score
It’s always a problem for the players when the refs are told to emphasize a certain infraction. They get called for things they have been doing wrong but got away with in the past. I’m in favor of keeping the game as pure as possible. It’s up to the coaches to have their players be aware of the changes and work on them in practice.

Reaction Score
I remember Ann Strother‘s jumper in the early 2000’s. I always thought she got away with traveling as she set up to shoot.

Reaction Score
You cannot move your pivot foot UNTIL you start to dribble.
But you can take 2 steps (one of which must be the pivot, right?) without a dribble after receiving a pass, if you take it in for a layup. This happens all the time. Never seen a travel called for it. why then shiuld a travel called when a pass is received and 2 steps taken before a dribble. This happened to CW, Liv and Caroline as I recall. Maybe multiple times.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
It's a stupid call. You can't travel while you're dribbling the ball. You're dribbling. So what if you shuffle your feet while you're "starting" to dribble, it's part of dribbling. Stupid to call it incorrectly at all, let alone be a point of emphasis.
I reffed many many moons ago and I have a totally different take. I would get upset at all the traveling that wasn't called. If your pivot foot comes up before the ball leaves your hand, you have changed pivots and are guilty of a travel. I have some questions about the Eurostep also. Players will catch the ball with two hands, take an exaggerated step, Then another step. When the first step after the catch comes off the floor, it's a travel. If the player catches the ball during the long step, it's good. I see players travel with a jab step. They will jab left and ball fake left then start to the right moving the ball from the fake to dibble, the right foot comes up and it's a travel. Another travel occurs in the jostling under the hoop. The player with the ball is jostled and shuffles to get their balance. If the ref thinks the jostle was incidental then it's a travel or you have to call a tic-tac foul.

The problem is you can't start changing the way the game has been called for years in the middle of the season.

Reaction Score
The Pivot Foot is the last foot that moves from a stationary position.
Thanks, but the question I posed is which is the pivot foot on any specific play? Repeating the "rule" does not make any point. What is your point? My point is that, on any specific play (and there are many) it is not obvious, as it is in the rule you state.

Reaction Score
Liv travels at least twice a game. AE at least once. Nika probably once every other game. It's probably not as bad as we think, but yeah, this team has 39 turnovers over the last two games. Not good.

Reaction Score
Yep, pound ball before you take that first step.
This confuses me a little- is starting the dribble when the ball actually strikes the floor, or does a dribble begin when the ball is released from the hand towards the floor but maybe hasn't hit the floor yet?

Reaction Score
If your pivot foot comes up before the ball leaves your hand, you have changed pivots and are guilty of a travel.
But, as pointed out by others already, what if you take a jump shot? As you rise up off the floor, your pivot foot changes, so would a jump shot be a travel too? Or, when a jump shot happens, does this mean the pivot foot no longer exists because you are airborne, so that is why it isn't a travel?

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Thanks, but the question I posed is which is the pivot foot on any specific play? Repeating the "rule" does not make any point. What is your point? My point is that, on any specific play (and there are many) it is not obvious, as it is in the rule you state.
If you are moving, there is no Pivot foot. After you stop, and move 1 foot, the other foot is the pivot foot. Sorry, maybe that does not answer your question.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
But, as pointed out by others already, what if you take a jump shot? As you rise up off the floor, your pivot foot changes, so would a jump shot be a travel too? Or, when a jump shot happens, does this mean the pivot foot no longer exists because you are airborne, so that is why it isn't a travel?
There are a few miss-statements and understandings going on in this thread. I will address your question.

Once a pivot foot is established, that pivot foot can be lifted and before it is returned to the floor the player must either pass or shoot the ball. If the pivot foot is lifted and returned to the floor without doing either action (basically getting rid if the ball), it is a travel.

So with that understanding, that is why a jump shot is not a travel. The pivot foot is lifted when you jump and the ball is shot before the pivot foot is returned to the floor.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This confuses me a little- is starting the dribble when the ball actually strikes the floor, or does a dribble begin when the ball is released from the hand towards the floor but maybe hasn't hit the floor yet?
By definition, when the ball is released.

Reaction Score
I remember when it was ALWAYS a travel if you fell to the floor. The little hop step I see so many take now when taking a jumper off 2 feet sure looks like a travel to me. I'm pretty sure it would be impossible to shoot the ball unless putting the ball in the position to shoot stops the travel call. One reason it drives me crazy when I see players jump off of 2 feet for layups now days. When exactly does one initiate a dribble? When the ball leaves the hand? When the hand begins moving? When the ball hits the floor?

Reaction Score
If you are moving, there is no Pivot foot. After you stop, and move 1 foot, the other foot is the pivot foot. Sorry, maybe that does not answer your question.
Your response is grateful and helps. Thank you.

Reaction Score
Look to the refs for the answer.
The reverse spin layup in most cases is a travel, not called.Ball handlers hand under the basketball make it impossible to guard them for the so-called crossover, again not called. IMO that is why
they say they can’t be guarded and they are right.Young players copy what they see their favorite players do and get away with.

Reaction Score
I have watched men's and women's basketball for decades and frankly I have never seen a team commit so many traveling violations. It mostly happens when we catch a pass and initiate action. Did anyone one keep track of how many times we turned the ball over because of traveling last night versus how many times Marquette did it? Why can't we stop doing that?
There is a simple solution to end all the traveling: have the young women stop watching the NBA, and even with traveling being a point of emphasis with the refs, if they stop the emulation of the league of no fundamentals, they'll be just fine....

Reaction Score
What I didn't get is the 'step through' the Marquette players were doing in the post. They were clearly picking up the pivot foot and it was obvious. Why emphasize one thing to let a more obvious example go.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
What I didn't get is the 'step through' the Marquette players were doing in the post. They were clearly picking up the pivot foot and it was obvious. Why emphasize one thing to let a more obvious example go.
Can you cite an example of a "step through" in the Marquette game that you believe is a travel?

the replay is HERE

Reaction Score
Can you cite an example of a "step through" in the Marquette game that you believe is a travel?

the replay is HERE
The shot taken is around 1:24 left in the first quarter. The player is not taking a two foot jump, thus she is switching pivot feet. Players from all teams do this, but I'm not sure why it's being missed by more and more refs. If she steps and jumps off of both feet simultanously, then it's different. There are a few more times when this occured, but I'm not watching the replay now.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Well if this is the shot to which you refer, let me say why this is not a travel.

You can lift a pivot foot and as long as you pass or shoot (get rid of the ball) before that pivot foot is returned to the ground, it is not a travel.

This video is how I interpret that rule on this shot.

Reaction Score
But according to the rules, it IS a travel and has always been a travel. Specifically, what a player initiates the dribble, the ball must be out of their hands before their pivot foot moves or leaves the ground. Many times, that doesn’t happen.
UConn is just a team in a hurry..........;)
Agree it is in the rules. However, butting into a defender ala football is also in the rules and it still isn’t called.

Reaction Score
It's a stupid call. You can't travel while you're dribbling the ball. You're dribbling. So what if you shuffle your feet while you're "starting" to dribble, it's part of dribbling. Stupid to call it incorrectly at all, let alone be a point of emphasis.
Liitke many rules, it's meant to prevent a player from having an advantage: if an offensive player can take that extra step before putting the ball on the floor, it gives him/her an advantage over the defensive player. Same with "carrying" the ball, although that also gets rarely called nowadays.

sun

Reaction Score
Liitke many rules, it's meant to prevent a player from having an advantage: if an offensive player can take that extra step before putting the ball on the floor, it gives him/her an advantage over the defensive player. Same with "carrying" the ball, although that also gets rarely called nowadays.
Give the players an inch and they'll take a yard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom