Why do we have Whaley and Sanogo both setting screens at the 3 point line? | The Boneyard

Why do we have Whaley and Sanogo both setting screens at the 3 point line?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It leaves us with no one near the basket to dump it off to.

Reaction Score
I was going to say that also except how many passes have we seen to the roller this season? I may be way off but it seems to almost never happen.
I think the roller is prob where I’ve seen our bigs score the most. Could prob count on 2 hands the number of entry passes I’ve seen this year

Reaction Score
I was going to say that also except how many passes have we seen to the roller this season? I may be way off but it seems to almost never happen.
True. But we still should run it from time to time even if it's only occasionally effective. Keeps the defense honest.

Reaction Score
I think the roller is prob where I’ve seen our bigs score the most. Could prob count on 2 hands the number of entry passes I’ve seen this year
Really? Now I'm curious, maybe I need to watch the past few games again because I don't remember many. Sanogo scores most of his points on post ups and his own moves after getting the ball (he's very good with his footwork around the basket). Whaley has had a few pick and roll baskets. Josh? Maybe one or two? What other bigs have scored on pick and rolls? I'll pay more attention to that the next few games.

I've noticed lately they have been trying to get the ball more to Sanogo in the post. But it seems many times they look at him like they're trying to pass the ball into the post, and then don't. Not sure if they think he doesn't have good position and might get the ball stolen or whether they're not confident in their passes. Definitely something to work on.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Really? Now I'm curious, maybe I need to watch the past few games again because I don't remember many. Sanogo scores most of his points on post ups and his own moves after getting the ball (he's very good with his footwork around the basket). Whaley has had a few pick and roll baskets. Josh? Maybe one or two? What other bigs have scored on pick and rolls? I'll pay more attention to that the next few games.

I've noticed lately they have been trying to get the ball more to Sanogo in the post. But it seems many times they look at him like they're trying to pass the ball into the post, and then don't. Not sure if they think he doesn't have good position and might get the ball stolen or whether they're not confident in their passes. Definitely something to work on.
Sanogo is the only one who posts up it seems. Everything else seems to be a roll or an O-reb. I’ll definitely have to pay more attention, that’s just really what I’m remembering.

Reaction Score
You can' count on either Carlton or Sanogo to catch the ball cleanly while rolling. They are both post-up Centers. The offense is not designed to get the most out of either of them.

C

Chief00

You can' count on either Carlton or Sanogo to catch the ball cleanly while rolling. They are both post-up Centers. The offense is not designed to get the most out of either of them.
Agree on Carlton. Adama has great hands and good footwork. True, mostly on display in the post thus far. But, there’s no reason to think he couldn’t be useful on rolls. I do think it starts a couple feet out farther than it should when you watch it most times. We also don’t hit the wings quick enough abd that abd a pass back to the cutter is what often creates spacing or a good entry pass on the roll.

Reaction Score
Agree on Carlton. Adama has great hands and good footwork. True, mostly on display in the post thus far. But, there’s no reason to think he couldn’t be useful on rolls. I do think it starts a couple feet out farther than it should when you watch it most times. We also don’t hit the wings quick enough abd that abd a pass back to the cutter is what often creates spacing or a good entry pass on the roll.

Adama has recently showed to have hands not materially better than Josh’s. Sorry

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Adama has recently showed to have hands not materially better than Josh’s. Sorry
I agree. Josh has butter on both hands, Sonogo just one. I still like Sonogo,

Reaction Score
Pick and roll. Whaley got a dunk off it it v PC. But then he hung on the rim and got a technical.
I think that is perhaps the only successful P&R play from the top of the key that I have seen even attempted this season. I have been yelling at the screen every game for RJ and Gaf to pass the ball to the roller.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
It’s not supposed to set up a pick and roll… since there is no switching it’s really suppose to force motion in the offense. They are screening to roll or screening for the guard to come down hill hard. They are screening so as an opening move for the offense almost like a trigger….

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom