Why do top recruits want to play for Jon Scheyer? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why do top recruits want to play for Jon Scheyer?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
And now they are rich with all the pretty women around. 19 years old making $1mil a year and still going to classes. Can you imagine what kind of parties we would have had in college in the 80’s if we were already making a million a year.
This was going to be my statement responding to Kitaman. Logical and true. But I couldn't help myself.

Reaction Score
This old fart remembers when recruits followed the pretty women. Seriously though, that mattered back then.
Then they wouldn't be going to Duke. You would think being in the South Duke would be stong in that area but they certainly weren't when I was younger. Duke and Notre Dame, yikes.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Then they wouldn't be going to Duke. You would think being in the South Duke would be stong in that area but they certainly weren't when I was younger. Duke and Notre Dame, yikes.
Yeah, ASU, AZ, USC and a couple of the FL schools would probably get my votes on that front.

Reaction Score
The hype and unearned coverage that Duke continues to get in the media. Not that complicated.

Reaction Score
Yeah, ASU, AZ, USC and a couple of the FL schools would probably get my votes on that front.
Don't sell UCLA short.

I went to the 2009 second round games at Wells Fargo in Philly. UConn crushed Texas A&M in the first game and then Nova just ended UCLA in the nightcap. I think Nova was still doubling them up in the second half.

Both teams went to the final four, which was pretty cool.

Anyway, the highlight of the second game was the UCLA cheer squad. I have never seen a more beautiful and perfect group of young women; every one of them could have been a supermodel. It's the only game I ever attended where men were openly rooting for more timeouts.

Probably the next 50 women who missed the cut were just as beautiful. That school could definitely turn a young man's head.

:)

Reaction Score
Don't sell UCLA short.

I went to the 2009 second round games at Wells Fargo in Philly. UConn crushed Texas A&M in the first game and then Nova just ended UCLA in the nightcap. I think Nova was still doubling them up in the second half.

Anyway, the highlight of the second game was UCLA cheer squad. I have never seen a more beautiful and perfect group of young women; every one of them could have been a supermodel. It's the only game I ever attended where men were openly rooting for more timeouts.

Probably the next 50 women who missed the cut were just as beautiful. That school could definitely turn a young man's head.

I had the same exact experience at a Notre Dame UCLA football game a long time ago. The juxtaposition between the Notre Dame cheerleaders who looked like leprechauns and the UCLA cheer squad who were all smoking hot was comical. It was like Walmart girls next to Maxim models. We all pretty much just watched the UCLA cheer squad the entire game.

Reaction Score
Don't sell UCLA short.

Anyway, the highlight of the second game was the UCLA cheer squad. I have never seen a more beautiful and perfect group of young women; every one of them could have been a supermodel. It's the only game I ever attended where men were openly rooting for more timeouts.

Had I not grown up in CT and visited Miami more before my 20s, I would have gone to a FL school. If I was a paid athlete that didn’t care about team wins, I would have picked a CA school.

Reaction Score
dan-hurley (1).jpg

Reaction Score
I can understand why recruits want to go to Duke. As for playing for Scheyer, I think he's still in the honeymoon stage so he's being give the benefit of any doubt.

However, it's not only Scheyer that is perched on a slippery slope, but also the ACC. It's trying to replace no less than 3 retired legends, a task that has historically proven difficult.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I don’t get it. He has had an unbelievably talented group of players and done nothing to develop their skills, and his teams have been an incredible disappointment. How does a team made up of 10 players with pro potential lose to a awful Georgia Tech team? UMass Lowell beat Georgia Tech.
He’s only been there a full season and Duke has been attractive to a lot of top recruits for a long time. For a program like theirs, it takes a few down years for that to wear off on a new coach and now throw in whatever impact NIL has that might keep top recruits coming anyway. If he flops (a Duke tradition) even if he still gets kids pulled in by NIL, that might make a difference in how kids decide if they have other decent financial options at other programs.

After John Wooden retired, UCLA did ok, actually better than most and the new coach, Gene Barstow m, had had a decent resume. But he stopped winning NCs even though winning in the 20 somethings of victories and he was let go and recruiting fell off. So coaches who replace a legend have a couple of years to show what they can do but wind up with maybe a shorter leash than they deserve. Of course no NIL in those days and some people believed Wooden was a recruiting cheat. If Scheyer does less with more even with NIL, Duke may stop being attractive. North Carolina went through that for a bit after Dean Smith. Kevin Ollie, even with his improbable NC, had a pretty short leash , of course with a lot of things at play on top of just coaching. Also, if a coach’s facial expressions count - I don’t think they mean a thing - KO had some interesting looks on his face.

Anyway, it’s probably too soon to wonder about Scheyer, but if they struggle this season and don’t do better next with the group they will be adding, it will be interesting to see how that plays out for recruits in the next few years.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
We are UCONN...why do we care about dook
I don't which is why I wrote this instead:

This old fart remembers when recruits followed the pretty women. Seriously though, that mattered back then.
Syracuse recruits were recruited with a plain old fine woman.

Orc

Reaction Score
Duke is social media university. Top recruits go there because its a popular pick not because of Scheyers coaching

Reaction Score
He’s only been there a full season and Duke has been attractive to a lot of top recruits for a long time. For a program like theirs, it takes a few down years for that to wear off on a new coach and now throw in whatever impact NIL has that might keep top recruits coming anyway. If he flops (a Duke tradition) even if he still gets kids pulled in by NIL, that might make a difference in how kids decide if they have other decent financial options at other programs.

After John Wooden retired, UCLA did ok, actually better than most and the new coach, Gene Barstow m, had had a decent resume. But he stopped winning NCs even though winning in the 20 somethings of victories and he was let go and recruiting fell off. So coaches who replace a legend have a couple of years to show what they can do but wind up with maybe a shorter leash than they deserve. Of course no NIL in those days and some people believed Wooden was a recruiting cheat. If Scheyer does less with more even with NIL, Duke may stop being attractive. North Carolina went through that for a bit after Dean Smith. Kevin Ollie, even with his improbable NC, had a pretty short leash , of course with a lot of things at play on top of just coaching. Also, if a coach’s facial expressions count - I don’t think they mean a thing - KO had some interesting looks on his face.

Anyway, it’s probably too soon to wonder about Scheyer, but if they struggle this season and don’t do better next with the group they will be adding, it will be interesting to see how that plays out for recruits in the next few years.
I don’t think of Wooden as a cheat, but I think he knew how he was getting such great players. A lot of things were (wink, wink) overlooked back then. Same at UNC, Kentucky, and Kansas.

Reaction Score
HOnestly ive seen far more duke games in the last year than i care to admit and imh ever unqualified opinion Scheyer is not a very good coach. Like, at all. One problem with him even a dummy like me can see is he is horrible at making adjustments. Its like he wants his team to play the way he wants them to play and not to optimize his best players and what they can do. Or maybe he wants to do that but just isnt very good at it.

Reaction Score
If we keep winning enough years in a row, then UConn becomes a “dream school” to a younger generation of upcoming recruits.

Reaction Score
HOnestly ive seen far more duke games in the last year than i care to admit and imh ever unqualified opinion Scheyer is not a very good coach. Like, at all. One problem with him even a dummy like me can see is he is horrible at making adjustments. Its like he wants his team to play the way he wants them to play and not to optimize his best players and what they can do. Or maybe he wants to do that but just isnt very good at it.
That sounds exactly like an inexperienced head coach. It was a major risk for Duke to hand him the job without head coaching experience.

Reaction Score
I don’t think of Wooden as a cheat, but I think he knew how he was getting such great players. A lot of things were (wink, wink) overlooked back then. Same at UNC, Kentucky, and Kansas.
wrongo

Reaction Score
I wonder if that’s how Duke really gets the recruits. Maybe Grant Hill is always making laps around campus eating ice cream cones. Maybe when Kemba is fully retired we can up our ice cream game or pay him to eat pizza slices and walk around campus.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
IMO they lose the benefit of the doubt if they have another crap season, both w/recruits and media. Nice campus, sure. So is Pepperdine.
If the Duke campus is as spectacular as Pepperdine, sign me up.;) Never been to Duke but my daughter in law is a Dookie. If I’d gone to Pepperdine I’d never have gone to class. Did see them play hoops vs. UConn in the Uncle Cliffy days. I wonder how often the campus is a factor for recruits. Maybe for some if it’s a toss up.

Reaction Score
If the Duke campus is as spectacular as Pepperdine, sign me up.;) Never been to Duke but my daughter in law is a Dookie. If I’d gone to Pepperdine I’d never have gone to class. Did see them play hoops vs. UConn in the Uncle Cliffy days. I wonder how often the campus is a factor for recruits. Maybe for some if it’s a toss up.
I heard that is the most beautiful campus in the country. Isnt it in Malibu?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom