Why do so many posters thing Hurley is poor at player development? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Why do so many posters thing Hurley is poor at player development?

Reaction Score
Are you saying that UConn has less talent than Rhode Island?

Probably a question worth asking. When they got their ____ pushed in by South Florida the narrative on this board was that Hurley was powerless to beat teams like South Florida until he brought in more talent and got rid of "Ollie's guys" (who just happen to put 90% of the points on the board every game).

Reaction Score
It was a question in response to 90% of this board bashing the players that have been here for more than a year. The logical extension of the position that all freshmen are better than the other players is that Hurley must be doing something wrong to make those older players worse.

I, by the way, do not share that position. I do not think all freshmen are better than older players, because players go to these things called "practice" where they work on their game and some of them get better.
You just don’t seem willing to acknowledge that some players are too limited in talent to coach up any higher. The improvement Hurley and staff got out of Carlton last year was amazing. Some of these upperclassmen have already reached their ceiling most likely so it’s not a stretch to think a stud recruits would be better than them as freshmen.

Reaction Score
Probably a question worth asking. When they got their ____ pushed in by South Florida the narrative on this board was that Hurley was powerless to beat teams like South Florida until he brought in more talent and got rid of "Ollie's guys" (who just happen to put 90% of the points on the board every game).
Some posters were saying that but plenty have been blasting Hurley.

Reaction Score
Hurley took a bunch of 3-stars at Rhode Island and turned them into a top 25 team back to back years. Are you saying that UConn has less talent than Rhode Island?

I would trust Hurley to coach up 3-stars that he selected better than 4-stars that KO selected and coached.

Is 4-star Sid Wilson a more effective player than 3-star Brendan Adams?

Reaction Score
if your premise is true, it's because they don't know much or any better

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I would trust Hurley to coach up 3-stars that he selected better than 4-stars that KO selected and coached.

Is 4-star Sid Wilson a more effective player than 3-star Brendan Adams?

I agree with you. My point in the original post was that Hurley brought in all 3-stars (except for maybe one recruit IIRC) and he turned those players into a top-25 team. He may need to get his guys in here, but he will be bringing in more talented players than he had at Rhody and he needs to coach those guys for more than 6 months before I'm willing to say he can't make this team great again.

Reaction Score
You don't think players have improved under Hurley?
I think:
Polley has improved - still doesn’t really rebound-except for last game before injury.
carlton and Gilbert have regressed badly
Vital is pretty much same
Whalley somewhat better but still pretty much a non factor
Sid getting somewhat better but not much of a sample size this year.
Badams definitely better but still super inconsistent. So all in all , we have 3 players who kinda improved - one who has pretty much stayed the same And our 2 most important players have regressed.
I dunno. Hard to gauge(btw I’m just comparing last year to this year-not 2 years ago- if that was case vital wud be in the improvement category)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You just don’t seem willing to acknowledge that some players are too limited in talent to coach up any higher. The improvement Hurley and staff got out of Carlton last year was amazing. Some of these upperclassmen have already reached their ceiling most likely so it’s not a stretch to think a stud recruits would be better than them as freshmen.

No one is expecting this team to win a National Championship, but they are not terrible, and are competitive with good teams.

My issue is with an entitled fan base that rips kids a dozen new ___holes every time they lose a game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom