Why didn't Geno have a bigger bench available? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why didn't Geno have a bigger bench available?

Reaction Score
At UConn they might be pretty good.
Expected players for this season included Paige, Fudd, Dorka, Edwards, Griffin, Ducharme, Muhl and Lou. That’s 8 so I’d say 7 and 8 are pretty good,
One of my favorite teams was 2000-01. At the start of the season the starters were Shea, Svet, Sue, Swin and Kelly Schumacher. That left Tamika Williams, Asjha Jones and DT as the 6th, 7th and 8th players so the 7th and 8th players weren’t too shabby.
Against more ordinary teams, Uconn frequently has bench players that are as good as the other teams best starter. Look at the 2016 championship team. Number 6 & 7 were Pheesa and Gabby, both future proven WNBA players. 8 & 9 were Sonia Chong and Natalie Butler. Both were drafted by the WNBA, Sonia played a year, and Natalie after she transferred led the nation in rebounding the next year. Courtney Ekmark was #10, and she transferred and became a starter for a Power 5 conference team.

Or how about Kia Stokes who was never a regular starter in her career here because of Stewie and Stephanie, but she just got her championship ring this year with the Aces. As you mention DT was not an immediate starter. In fact Shea Ralph's greatest claim might be for a season she kept Dianna on the bench.

More recently before her injury Mir was having a great season at Virginia, but got little time here. Saylor was a third stringer here starting at Arkansas. Espinoza-Hunter was a big scorer at Seton Hall and a non-factor here. The examples are really too numerous to mention. Most of the top programs, not just us, but also teams like South Carolina and Stanford have bench players that are usually significantly above average, with several that could be stars at most college programs. The top contenders sometimes don't have anybody that is below average or a weak link in their rotation. Their backups are usually highly ranked recruits.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Next season with 14 players, everyone will wonder how will players 9-14 get any minutes...
Seems that may not be the case if Chris Dailey is the Coach during games.

Reaction Score
1673452698058.jpeg

Big benches are hard to find.

sun

Reaction Score
I like the idea of awarding a scholarship or two to a deserving Connecticut student because I believe that they would be less likely to transfer.
In 2023, two Connecticut high school basketball players were ranked as 2023 ESPN Top 100 recruits with both committing to Virginia Tech WBB.
#58 Carys Baker is a 6'1" forward at Loomis Chaffee that's a prolific 3 point shooter and volleyball player.
#65 Mackenzie Nelson is a 5'8" PG at St. Luke's School with a reputation for stealing the ball.
They're both 4 star recruits with a 93 rating & videos of them can be found on the Maxpreps site.
These are just 2 examples of CT BB players who could easily fill a need at UConn and I'm sure there have been many others.
Not sure if Carys Baker is the daughter or not of Vin Baker of the Hartford Hawks & Boston Celtics.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The transfer portal is a game changer. Let's take this year. Lou is probably the difference between us being a Final Four team or not. Also, Cardoso choosing SC over UConn in the portal is the reason SC is the clear favorite to repeat.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I like the idea of awarding a scholarship or two to a deserving Connecticut student because I believe that they would be less likely to transfer.
In 2023, two Connecticut high school basketball players were ranked as 2023 ESPN Top 100 recruits with both committing to Virginia Tech WBB.
#58 Carys Baker is a 6'1" forward at Loomis Chaffee that's a prolific 3 point shooter and volleyball player.
#65 Mackenzie Nelson is a 5'8" PG at St. Luke's School with a reputation for stealing the ball.
They're both 4 star recruits with a 93 rating & videos of them can be found on the Maxpreps site.
These are just 2 examples of CT BB players who could easily fill a need at UConn and I'm sure there have been many others.
Not sure if Carys Baker is the daughter or not of Vin Baker of the Hartford Hawks & Boston Celtics.

Do you really think that players like these are likely to sign up to be benchwarmers at UConn rather than have a starting role at another top-quarter program, including nearby ones such as Seton Hall, Villanova, or St. Johns? Would coming to UConn even be a good decision from their standpoint?

Reaction Score
Pretending this 20, even 5 years ago is unrealistic. Players have the ability to move if they so desire. And they do. You are not going to be able to stockpile top talent on your bench for a year or two at most places. And even if there are players in the portal, are the compatible with the culture of UCONN? Geno is only taking a certain type of kid. These last two years have been anomalies. He's used this roster size and player rotation for 35+ years and he is the G.O.A.T. I defer to his experience and expertise.

Reaction Score

I just looked up Carys Baker, she is definitely the daughter of Vin Baker. She looks just like him.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I think the BE rule is that in order to field a team you must have a minimum of 7 scholarship players.
That's the NCAA rule. 7 to start and one to finish as long as the ref's believe the one can ossibly win the game.

Reaction Score
It amazes me that with all UCONN has accomplished (repeated final fours, 11 national championships etc., etc. not to mention recruiting great players) people still question Geno as to why he does or doesn't do certain things:rolleyes::confused:
Because forum people always have the best answers. When what you think is never applied, you never see it fail so to you it’s always the best answer or solution. It’s that simple.

Reaction Score
THAT will be Geno's dilemma, but he knows how to handle it. He'll always have plenty of "intelligent and informed" imput to fall back on from the Boneyard. :D Less minutes for the starters in games that are decided early.
Agree! I mean, all he has to do is ask and we will tell him what to do.

:)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Why didn't Geno have a bigger bench available?​

I don’t know. What were you thinking of? Something like this?

068B2FCA-6F1C-430C-9E5A-EA65E87A3AA3.jpeg

Reaction Score
USC can't field a team either. But not because of injuries. It's because they have decided that "field" is a bad word.

Reaction Score
Years ago the major men’s sports teams at most of the larger universities had junior varsity and freshmen teams. If a varsity player was lost to an injury they would elevate one of the junior varsity players to the varsity team. Freshmen teams went the way of the rotary dial phone and party lines when freshmen became eligible for varsity play. Junior Varsity teams have been in a steady decline toward obsolescence for years. I don’t recall any jv women’s teams at UConn - but Avery Point had a women’s basketball team for years. Does anyone know the status of that team (does it still exist, or is it on hiatus, the number of available players, or if players on that team are considered UConn players who could be moved to the Storrs team, immediately, in an emergency situation)? Hopefully this now a mute point - but could be useful if we get another 100 year’s storm sooner than later.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
That's the NCAA rule. 7 to start and one to finish as long as the ref's believe the one can ossibly win the game.
Thats why we need Azzi or Paige active, so if that happens and one of them is left holding the bag, we have a chance to win.

Reaction Score
Next season with 14 players, everyone will wonder how will players 9-14 get any minutes...
Creme will use that to make UConn a 3 seed preseason.

Reaction Score
Moot
Years ago the major men’s sports teams at most of the larger universities had junior varsity and freshmen teams. If a varsity player was lost to an injury they would elevate one of the junior varsity players to the varsity team. Freshmen teams went the way of the rotary dial phone and party lines when freshmen became eligible for varsity play. Junior Varsity teams have been in a steady decline toward obsolescence for years. I don’t recall any jv women’s teams at UConn - but Avery Point had a women’s basketball team for years. Does anyone know the status of that team (does it still exist, or is it on hiatus, the number of available players, or if players on that team are considered UConn players who could be moved to the Storrs team, immediately, in an emergency situation)? Hopefully this now a mute point - but could be useful if we get another 100 year’s storm sooner than later.
Moot point. Sorry.

Reaction Score
How “good” are they if they’re 7th or 8th?
I don't remember the timing exactly, although it can be sourced easily. In any case, I would not have expected Geno to give Ines any playing time other than in routs. But she has changed some minds, I think. A pretty decent performance and contribution from a freshman unknown , except to Portugal. We'll see if he picks up where'd CD left off. In other words, will gene give Muhl several breathers during a game?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Anyone beside Geno know that answer. Is the UConn Women's season in jeopardy due to the possibility of not being able to filed teams in the future due to injuries. Why not carry walk-ons? Too much trouble?
I'll bet a few months ago you said how is Geno going to give everyone enough minutes? And now what's with Geno? Why doesn't he carry 15 scholarship players and stash 3 or 4 more on a track or water polo or tiddlywinks scholarship? :D:rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom