Why Come to UCONN | The Boneyard

Why Come to UCONN

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Im only guessing but based on the tuffness of our schedule for the next few years I think Geno has the confidence in his recruiting that UConn will be just fine. Meaning that we have the inside track on some great players. Its not about who's coming in as much its about who those coming in and what they want to become. If that want to become great UConn is the place if they want to be a star then UConn is the place. If they want to become a shooting star UConn is not the place. A shooting star is a player who wants to be it. To many teams have players who do all the shooting and scoring and their team mates pretty much stand around and watch. If that player has a good game the team does well and if not in most cases the team does not. WCBB is a team game and there is no "I" in team.

Todays recruiting has changed. Today players watch to see who goes where before they choose where to go. They look at rosters to see if the team is top heavy in their position and analyze if they will get playtime and when. They look at those kids behind them and coming up and where they want to play and analyze if they will play or sit.

UConn has openings at most positions there is room for alot of the top players to play. UConn gives you exposure on TV because they are a huge draw. You see the Regionals arent in CT for a couple of years. IMO thats because the powers to be think its a huge advantage for CT. Thats fine because as UConn travels they get more exposure , more fans seeing them and more recruits have a chance to see them up close which only helps recruiting. A recruit comes to UConn to win NC's. No other team has that adavantage because no other team has consistently done it like UConn has. There are teams that get some great players and have a great year or two and they drop back in the polls. UConn doesnt. Not only do you get tremendous development as a player and person at UConn, you get exposure and you become a celebrity in the game. You play for UConn and everybody knows who you are. UConn is a place where you get a degree in personal growth with a basketball degree. Look at how many non starters who have played for UConn are playing professional BB and look how many years theyve been playing. Thats why kids come to UConn. Its about what you become from coming here.

Geno has built something that is second to none. He is face the WCBB as is UConn. I wouldnt be concerned about UConn getting great players because they will just because Geno is here and this is UConn. Trying to figure out who's coming to UConn is a little more difficult then it used to be in past years because AAU coaches Parents HS coaches and recruits themselves are hushing it up. Its not as easy to get information on recruits as it was in past years.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
At the risk of sounding like beloved Boneyard pessimist, @Charlieball, Stanford provides a "similar" experience for Jones and it is 3000 miles closer. Notre Dame provides a "Catholic" experience for Boston and is arguably the second best program in the country. I would understand those choices a lot more than Horston's.

Good point about Geno continuing to schedule any and all takers. Maybe, and I am nervously kidding, that the schedule is a gift to his replacement.

Reaction Score
Im only guessing but based on the tuffness of our schedule for the next few years I think Geno has the confidence in his recruiting that UConn will be just fine. Meaning that we have the inside track on some great players. Its not about who's coming in as much its about who those coming in and what they want to become. If that want to become great UConn is the place if they want to be a star then UConn is the place. If they want to become a shooting star UConn is not the place. A shooting star is a player who wants to be it. To many teams have players who do all the shooting and scoring and their team mates pretty much stand around and watch. If that player has a good game the team does well and if not in most cases the team does not. WCBB is a team game and there is no "I" in team.

Todays recruiting has changed. Today players watch to see who goes where before they choose where to go. They look at rosters to see if the team is top heavy in their position and analyze if they will get playtime and when. They look at those kids behind them and coming up and where they want to play and analyze if they will play or sit.

UConn has openings at most positions there is room for alot of the top players to play. UConn gives you exposure on TV because they are a huge draw. You see the Regionals arent in CT for a couple of years. IMO thats because the powers to be think its a huge advantage for CT. Thats fine because as UConn travels they get more exposure , more fans seeing them and more recruits have a chance to see them up close which only helps recruiting. A recruit comes to UConn to win NC's. No other team has that adavantage because no other team has consistently done it like UConn has. There are teams that get some great players and have a great year or two and they drop back in the polls. UConn doesnt. Not only do you get tremendous development as a player and person at UConn, you get exposure and you become a celebrity in the game. You play for UConn and everybody knows who you are. UConn is a place where you get a degree in personal growth with a basketball degree. Look at how many non starters who have played for UConn are playing professional BB and look how many years theyve been playing. Thats why kids come to UConn. Its about what you become from coming here.

Geno has built something that is second to none. He is face the WCBB as is UConn. I wouldnt be concerned about UConn getting great players because they will just because Geno is here and this is UConn. Trying to figure out who's coming to UConn is a little more difficult then it used to be in past years because AAU coaches Parents HS coaches and recruits themselves are hushing it up. Its not as easy to get information on recruits as it was in past years.

I don't think that anything to do with why he scheduled these games. Coach Auriemma has proven that he will play anybody, anytime, anywhere. He is not like Mulkey, who only schedules tough games when she knows she is going to have a good team, Geno doesn't care!

Reaction Score

Tony C--All of your posting make a lot of sense. I go along with "I wouldn't be concerned about Uconn getting great players.
Kids are a lot more Smart about how to use the internet and to stay "up" on each team in which they have interest. To me that shows some intelligence. Why walk into a situation you didn't expect?
Shooting starts have been a factor with Uconn since the 90's DT, Maya, Stewie, KLS, Napheesa. No they are not fly by night stars, they became stars by shooting.

Reaction Score
To prevent the boneyarders from going off the ledge:D

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Because you feel relief when it is not Yukon. ;)

Reaction Score
At the risk of sounding like beloved Boneyard pessimist, @Charlieball, Stanford provides a "similar" experience for Jones and it is 3000 miles closer. Notre Dame provides a "Catholic" experience for Boston and is arguably the second best program in the country. I would understand those choices a lot more than Horston's.

Good point about Geno continuing to schedule any and all takers. Maybe, and I am nervously kidding, that the schedule is a gift to his replacement.
Anyone who does not understand a player choosing Stanford -- one of the five best schools in the country, bar none -- or Notre Dame -- the best of the large Catholic schools with a great program and one of the best coaches -- simply has not looked at the landscape out there. Not to say that UConn is not a great choice. It is, for all the reasons we all know. But either of those other two also would be an understandable choice. I'm a lot less certain about some of the other schools top players choose. Jeff Walz seems like a fine person but him aside, why anyone would choose Louisville is a complete mystery to me.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno is hands down the greatest coach (men's or women's) of the modern era (no bloomers, no 2 bounces and pass). The kids who come to UConn say it so often it has become cliche' but no less true. " I came to UConn to be pushed into being the very best player I can be. It's different here. I can't describe it. You have to feel it." Don't want to be pushed? Want to stay in your comfort zone? If that is who you are, don't put UConn on your list.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom