Why cant we be more like Duke! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why cant we be more like Duke!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I didn't see the comments but my comments (obviously directed at the commenter not you):

• Geno has been trying to use humor to motivate players since... forever. One might think people would get that by now but my guess is they just don't want to. Making a humorous comment to make a point is not disrespect.
  • One can simultaneously respect a program, and factually report that they haven't gone deep into the tournament. Again, one would hope people would know this but if one's goal is not to understand, one can be successful at it.
It's not the comment about Duke that got them so riled up and it was not humorous. It was not about motivation.

Reaction Score
I just read some posts on another college forum regarding this same comments by Geno. While I enjoy the comment and think it humorous. The other forum was predominantly disgusted by them with lots of chatter about how cruel he is to disrespect Z and Duke. I didn't bother to comment.

Are you aware of Joanne's jibes at Geno when Z transferred? It created bad feeling between them (not to mention the yearly whoopings administered by UConn over the years), and I suspect Coach's current comments are a continuation of that "hostility." Anyway, Geno is a joker; we love him here, and the naysayers can just chatter on.

Reaction Score
Are you aware of Joanne's jibes at Geno when Z transferred? It created bad feeling between them (not to mention the yearly whoopings administered by UConn over the years), and I suspect Coach's current comments are a continuation of that "hostility." Anyway, Geno is a joker; we love him here, and the naysayers can just chatter on.
Wonder what duke’s coach said at that time, any links?
Geno just loves to poke fun. I am sure everyone remembers he joked about the difference btwn a Duke and UConn’s degree if one works as waitering the tables at restaurants .

Reaction Score
Duke mens basketball pulled off the trifecta getting the number 1,2 and 3 prospects to commit for 2018! Whats the secret sauce? How is that possible?
Why can't we be like Duke are---perfect in every way--what's the matter with UConn today? (Bye bye Birdy parody (Parroty?)

Reaction Score
I didn't think there was anything wrong with what Geno said. He was entertaining a crowd. You don't think Duke people throw a few jabs at UNC during gatherings like this? As far as comments about players that leave the program, there was nothing specific said other than you do what I say or you leave. Do people really take offense to that? Geno gives players all the opportunities in the world to get it right, and if a player doesn't want to get with the program, then they need to find a better fit for them because Geno's been really good at this longer than any player has been alive and he and CD aren't changing the winning formula for anyone. Of course now that the video here was taken down so fast the speculation about what Geno said will run wild.

There is nothing that motivates others like telling one ---there's the door--use it or get with the program.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
The Huskies have never won a title without at least 2 former HS POYs/#1 recruits on the roster. The last time the Huskies didn’t have a #1 recruit on their team was in 1991.

Yeah, and they only made it to the Final Four that year.

Reaction Score
Duke mens basketball pulled off the trifecta getting the number 1,2 and 3 prospects to commit for 2018! Whats the secret sauce? How is that possible?
Just a guess, but I think Nos. 1, 2 and 3 would have to be the kind of selfless team players that thrive in the UCONN system...something that may not be statistically likely...

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It isn't just about getting No.1s, or other top recruits. Penty of teams in America have starting line-ups and benches stacked with high school AAs.

It's how you do after they arrive.

There's a big difference between someone who was a "high school AA" but ranked in the 20's and a #1 or #2 recruit. To use some ND examples, it's roughly the difference between Jewell Loyd (#4 in 2012) and Michaela Mabrey (#33) or between Brianna Turner (#2 in 2014) and Kat Westbeld (#21). All of those players were McDonald's AAs but there's a huge gulf in talent between Loyd and Mabrey and between Turner and Westbeld.

Nobody gets more of the super-elite (top 5 or 6 ranked) recruits than UConn. KML, Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck, Samuelson, Collier, Dangerfield, Walker, Williams, Nelson-Ododa. All ranked #6 or better including 5 #1s over the last 8 signing classes. No one else is close to having a list like this.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
There have been a few years where there’s no consensus Number one. I think A’ja Wilson and Evina Westbrook were also ranked No. 1 by a recruiting service.

Walker was #1 by ESPN, Prospects Nation, and BlueStar. Westbrook may have been #1 by another service (ASGR?).

In 2014, ESPN had Wilson #1, Prospects Nation had Kelsey Mitchell #1, and BlueStar had Turner #1 (from what I can tell, little bit harder to find the old info on BlueStar).

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Walker was #1 by ESPN, Prospects Nation, and BlueStar. Westbrook may have been #1 by another service (ASGR?).

In 2014, ESPN had Wilson #1, Prospects Nation had Kelsey Mitchell #1, and BlueStar had Turner #1 (from what I can tell, little bit harder to find the old info on BlueStar).
I did a little research and found this. I'm missing a couple years. These are #1 ranked players currently playing in college.

On edit - Mercedes Russell was No. 1 in HoopGurlz class of 2013.

upload_2018-1-22_17-49-46.png

Reaction Score
There's a big difference between someone who was a "high school AA" but ranked in the 20's and a #1 or #2 recruit. To use some ND examples, it's roughly the difference between Jewell Loyd (#4 in 2012) and Michaela Mabrey (#33) or between Brianna Turner (#2 in 2014) and Kat Westbeld (#21). All of those players were McDonald's AAs but there's a huge gulf in talent between Loyd and Mabrey and between Turner and Westbeld.

Nobody gets more of the super-elite (top 5 or 6 ranked) recruits than UConn. KML, Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck, Samuelson, Collier, Dangerfield, Walker, Williams, Nelson-Ododa. All ranked #6 or better including 5 #1s over the last 8 signing classes. No one else is close to having a list like this.
And no one else has come close to what UCONN has done in the last 25 years, multiple season and career ending injuries included.

Sure there's a difference in talent, or as least should be, from a top 5 to a 15-20. I didn't say there wasn't. Of course a line-up of top 5s, including No.1s doesn't always guarantee a graduation cycle of domination either. For example, how'd Baylor make out during the Griner/Simms era when their roster was absolutely loaded???

Reaction Score
And no one else has come close to what UCONN has done in the last 25 years, multiple season and career ending injuries included.

Sure there's a difference in talent, or as least should be, from a top 5 to a 15-20. I didn't say there wasn't. Of course a line-up of top 5s, including No.1s doesn't always guarantee a graduation cycle of domination either. For example, how'd Baylor make out during the Griner/Simms era when their roster was absolutely loaded???
Griner was a No.1 and Sims a No. 2 and who else was a top 5 or 10 player?

Reaction Score
Griner was a No.1 and Sims a No. 2 and who else was a top 5 or 10 player?
With just a quick and incomplete check......

Destiny Williams #8

Brooklyn Pope #9

Alexis Prince #16

Brittney Griner #1

Odyessy Sims #2

I guess that just wasn't enough to grab more than a single title, even with a transcendent 6' 8" post and the nation's best point, both in high school and college.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score

Ding Ding Ding....you win the annual Boneyard posting trophy for getting the words trifecta and secret sauce in the same posting!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Sure. UConn's coaches are the best at recruiting and the best at player development. That's what makes UConn so scary. Compare to Tennessee where elite recruits develop frighteningly little over 4 years.

Reaction Score
With just a quick and incomplete check.

Destiny Williams #8

Brooklyn Pope #9

Alexis Prince #16

Brittney Griner #1

Odyessy Sims #2

I guess that just wasn't enough to grab more than a single title, even with a transcendent 6' 8" post and the nation's best point, both in high school and college.
Those group of players only played one year together.

Reaction Score
Those group of players only played one year together.
Ok, Ok, you've convinced me with your 'compelling' argument.

It doesn't matter what players do after they arrive at their chosen university. What's REALLY important is where they're ranked coming out of high school.

Got it.....................

Reaction Score
Coach K has had the top recruiting class for something like the last 3 or 4 years in a row. Again, it goes to show that getting the best horses doesn't guarantee you win the race.
Conversely, not having the best horses almost always guarantees you won't win the race.
Pony Boy.jpg

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I did a little research and found this. I'm missing a couple years. These are #1 ranked players currently playing in college.

View attachment 27964

Taking @HuskyNan 's information and filling in the missing years/information...

ASGR (2014)
1. A'ja Wilson (South Carolina)
2. Gabby Williams (UConn)
3. Kelsey Mitchell (Ohio State)
4. Brianna Turner (Notre Dame)
5. Gabby Green (California)
6. Sadie Edwards (UConn/USC)

Dan Olson/Collegiate Girls Basketball Report (2014)
1. A'ja Wilson (South Carolina)
2. Brianna Turner (Notre Dame)
3. Ariel Atkins (Texas)
4. Jordin Canada (UCLA)
5. Kelsey Mitchell (Ohio State)
6. Jamie Nared (Tennessee)

Blue Star (2015)
1. Katie Lou Samuelson (UConn)
2 . Asia Durr (Louisville)
3 . Jessica Shepard (Nebraska/Notre Dame)
4 . Lashann Higgs (Texas)
5 . Napheesa Collier (UConn)
6. Arike Ogunbowale (Notre Dame)

Dan Olson/Collegiate Girls Basketball Report (2015)
1. Katie Lou Samuelson (UConn)
2 . Asia Durr (Louisville)
3 . Jessica Shepard (Nebraska/Notre Dame)
4. Cecilia Zandalasini (pro)
5. Angela Salvadores (Duke/pro)
6. Napheesa Collier (UConn)

Dan Olson/Collegiate Girls Basketball Report (2016)
1. Lauren Cox (Baylor)
2. Joyner Holmes (Texas)
3. Crystal Dangerfield (UConn)
4. Sabrina Ionescu (Oregon)
5. Erin Boley (Notre Dame/Oregon)
6. Alecia Sutton (Texas)

Dan Olson/Collegiate Girls Basketball Report (2017)
1. Megan Walker (UConn)
2. Evina Westbrook (Tennessee)
3. Rellah Boothe (Texas)
4. Chasity Patterson (Texas)
5. Sidney Cooks (Michigan State)
6. Chennedy Carter (Texas A&M)

FYI...ESPN/Hoopgurlz is now done by Dan Olson, who does Collegiate Girls Basketball Report. Whereas the rankings that Olson gives for ESPN are updated 2-3 times per year, his Collegiate Girls Basketball Rankings are updated constantly.

Reaction Score
Ok, Ok, you've convinced me with your 'compelling' argument.

It doesn't matter what players do after they arrive at their chosen university. What's REALLY important is where they're ranked coming out of high school.

Got it......
I never said that. I just put your statement in the proper context.

I believe it takes great coaching, the right system, and talented players to be successful. I notice people tend to have different opinions on which one out of those three deserves the most credit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom