Why cant we be more like Duke! | The Boneyard

Why cant we be more like Duke!

Reaction Score
Duke mens basketball pulled off the trifecta getting the number 1,2 and 3 prospects to commit for 2018! Whats the secret sauce? How is that possible?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Duke mens basketball pulled off the trifecta getting the number 1,2 and 3 prospects to commit for 2018! Whats the secret sauce? How is that possible?
Not sure if you’re joking or not, but next year we have the #1, the former #1 before she injured her knee, and if we bring in the Aussie, the top young international player in the world.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Long over are the days of Stewie Mo and Tuck (#1, 2, and 3) I guess...

in all respect, Tuck did slip at the end of her senior year a few slots to #6...the knee injury IIRC

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Coach K has had the top recruiting class for something like the last 3 or 4 years in a row. Again, it goes to show that getting the best horses doesn't guarantee you win the race.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Instead of getting 1/2/3 and having those players play for a year and leave, you guys are consistently nabbing the top recruit in the country and they stay all 4 years. Next year you'll have three number 1 recruits, an upperclassman #3 recruit, a #5 recruit and a senior #6 recruit, not to mention 5th year senior Azura Stevens. I'd take UCONN's roster in a heartbeat over Duke's. UCONN's being relative to the women's game, Duke's to the men's.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Instead of getting 1/2/3 and having those players play for a year and leave, you guys are consistently nabbing the top recruit in the country and they stay all 4 years. Next year you'll have three number 1 recruits, an upperclassman #3 recruit, a #5 recruit and a senior #6 recruit, not to mention 5th year senior Azura Stevens. I'd take UCONN's roster in a heartbeat over Duke's. UCONN's being relative to the women's game, Duke's to the men's.
I don't think UConn gets all the number ones and has them stay for years. Maybe I should check with Mercedes to verify and then I should check with Lauren down in Texas, she may have a point to make. It has been 3 out of the last 4 years for UConn. But that is not always the case. Our two Senior starts for this years team were far down the list from number one at least on Hoopgurlz.

Reaction Score
Forgetting about the men for a moment, Geno's comment recorded by Danny in another thread was priceless. Speaking of the Duke women, Coach, referring to Z, said that if Stevens wanted to just stand under the basket like she did with the Blue Devils she could. Problem was that she'd only to get to play for a short time in the NCAAs because "isn't that when Duke usually drops out?" Bet Joanne loved that. :p

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I don't think UConn gets all the number ones and has them stay for years. Maybe I should check with Mercedes to verify and then I should check with Lauren down in Texas, she may have a point to make. It has been 3 out of the last 4 years for UConn. But that is not always the case. Our two Senior starts for this years team were far down the list from number one at least on Hoopgurlz.

Not every single one, but it’s rare that Connecticut doesn’t have at least 2 players who were number 1 recruits on their team. Or at worst, a number one recruit and several top 10 players as supporting teammates. The two starters you mention, Nurse was significantly underrated by HG and Williams was much higher prior to an ACL. The other three starters are #1, #3, and #6 plus another #1 off the bench and an AA transfer.

The Huskies have never won a title without at least 2 former HS POYs/#1 recruits on the roster. The last time the Huskies didn’t have a #1 recruit on their team was in 1991.

All of Duke’s talent (sans Grayson Allen) is freshmen where UCONN is loaded with highly rated upperclassmen who’ve played with each other and in Geno’s system for at least 2-3 years.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Long over are the days of Stewie Mo and Tuck (#1, 2, and 3) I guess...

in all respect, Tuck did slip at the end of her senior year a few slots to #6...the knee injury IIRC
But they went OUT as #1, #2, and #3. :D

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
Not every single one, but it’s rare that Connecticut doesn’t have at least 2 players who were number 1 recruits on their team. Or at worst, a number one recruit and several top 10 players as supporting teammates. The two starters you mention, Nurse was significantly underrated by HG and Williams was much higher prior to an ACL. The other three starters are #1, #3, and #6 plus another #1 off the bench and an AA transfer.

The Huskies have never won a title without at least 2 former HS POYs/#1 recruits on the roster. The last time the Huskies didn’t have a #1 recruit on their team was in 1991.

All of Duke’s talent (sans Grayson Allen) is freshmen where UCONN is loaded with highly rated upperclassmen who’ve played with each other and in Geno’s system for at least 2-3 years.
So you agree with me. Thanks

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
Forgetting about the men for a moment, Geno's comment recorded by Danny in another thread was priceless. Speaking of the Duke women, Coach, referring to Z, said that if Stevens wanted to just stand under the basket like she did with the Blue Devils she could. Problem was that she'd only to get to play for a short time in the NCAAs because "isn't that when Duke usually drops out?" Bet Joanne loved that. :p

I just read some posts on another college forum regarding this same comments by Geno. While I enjoy the comment and think it humorous. The other forum was predominantly disgusted by them with lots of chatter about how cruel he is to disrespect Z and Duke. I didn't bother to comment.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

I felt like UCONN did that and better when they got Stewart, Tuck, and Jefferson who were all at one time or another ranked as the #1 player of their class.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I just read some posts on another college forum regarding this same comments by Geno. While I enjoy the comment and think it humorous. The other forum was predominantly disgusted by them with lots of chatter about how cruel he is to disrespect Z and Duke. I didn't bother to comment.
Someone also mentioned on that board some comments Geno was alleged to have made about AEH, and if he made those comments he should have kept them to himself, imo. That kind of talk could keep recruits from wanting to come to UCONN.

Reaction Score

This is tremendous info! You Sir have my utmost respect.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Before or after they blow the game against NC?

Reaction Score
Why can't UConn be more like Duke?

Because:

UConn recruits are irrational, that's all there is to that!
There heads are full of cotton, hay, and rags!
They're nothing but exasperating, irritating,
vacillating, calculating, agitating,
Maddening and infuriating hags!

(With due apologies of course)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Easy - a top notch highly rated and wealthy school with all the amenities in a good conference and good coach. Also, a thriving high tech area with lots to do and with a short winter.
Any other questions ??

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

I didn't see the comments but my comments (obviously directed at the commenter not you):

• Geno has been trying to use humor to motivate players since... forever. One might think people would get that by now but my guess is they just don't want to. Making a humorous comment to make a point is not disrespect.
  • One can simultaneously respect a program, and factually report that they haven't gone deep into the tournament. Again, one would hope people would know this but if one's goal is not to understand, one can be successful at it.

Reaction Score
I didn't see the comments but my comments (obviously directed at the commenter not you):

• Geno has been trying to use humor to motivate players since... forever. One might think people would get that by now but my guess is they just don't want to. Making a humorous comment to make a point is not disrespect.
  • One can simultaneously respect a program, and factually report that they haven't gone deep into the tournament. Again, one would hope people would know this but if one's goal is not to understand, one can be successful at it.
I didn't think there was anything wrong with what Geno said. He was entertaining a crowd. You don't think Duke people throw a few jabs at UNC during gatherings like this? As far as comments about players that leave the program, there was nothing specific said other than you do what I say or you leave. Do people really take offense to that? Geno gives players all the opportunities in the world to get it right, and if a player doesn't want to get with the program, then they need to find a better fit for them because Geno's been really good at this longer than any player has been alive and he and CD aren't changing the winning formula for anyone. Of course now that the video here was taken down so fast the speculation about what Geno said will run wild.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There have been a few years where there’s no consensus Number one. I think A’ja Wilson and Evina Westbrook were also ranked No. 1 by a recruiting service.

Reaction Score
It isn't just about getting No.1s, or other top recruits. Penty of teams in America have starting line-ups and benches stacked with high school AAs.

It's how you do after they arrive.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom