Why can't the men be more like the women? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why can't the men be more like the women?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Because they are MEN!!! Plus the men's coaches are not the same caliber as the woman's. The men"s basket ball team won two national titles but has a dismal graduation rate for the entire Calhoun years. The women have been at the top at both basketball (7 NC's) and acadenics (100% graduation rate) under Geno.
Mod edit. Try again with more civility. JS

Reaction Score
While my favorite team in all the world is the UCONN football team followed by the NY Giants, I cant help but respect everything that that the UCONN womens basketball team is about.

Listen to a Q & A with a member of the womens team and ALL of them, since '91 are comfortable answering the Horde's questions.
I heard Boatright yesterday and he was embarassing. How about put away your headphones, wear your baseball cap correctly and stop saying "ya know what I'm saying". The women look in the camera and are polite and appreciative of the opportunity to answer questions and speak coherently.

Maybe its time we demand more from the men's basketball staff to do more than coach basketball.

Mod edit.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
It's interesting, how this thread has pulled in posters that don't usually frequent the women's board - and, how their style of posting and choice of language differs from what is usually seen on this board. Don't know as they're helping their argument all that much.

Reaction Score
It's interesting, how this thread has pulled in posters that don't usually frequent the women's board - and, how their style of posting and choice of language differs from what is usually seen on this board. Don't know as they're helping their argument all that much.

I do apologize to the language in regards to the ignorant posters on this thread.....my bad!! Just a ridiculous thread which ignites anger regarding the comparisons of which there aren't any!

Reaction Score
It's funny and interesting to me that everyone on this board is a fan of the same University, yet some choose to disparage Men's team. It's fine if you aren't a fan of the team or prefer Women's hoops... but to criticize a team that bears the same name on its jersey as the team that you root so hard for seems a bit foolish, no? Not to mention the borderline racist commentary from "Huskyblooz" over there. You need to get out more.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Seems to me the issue isn't men vs women but rather getting it done academically vs not doing the job of a university which is to educate young people and keep them on the path towards a degree whether they will play in the NBA or not. Failure to expect kids, male or female, to not take care of their academic issues is a failure of leadership as a team, as coaches, and as a university.

Reaction Score
It's funny and interesting to me that everyone on this board is a fan of the same University, yet some choose to disparage Men's team. It's fine if you aren't a fan of the team or prefer Women's hoops... but to criticize a team that bears the same name on its jersey as the team that you root so hard for seems a bit foolish, no?

No. To not criticize a team that has brought so much bad press to the University would seem a bit foolish. Some posters may not realize it, but a University should have a higher priority than winning basketball games with players who don't belong in college.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Its not a question of the men leaving early, if it was what you say about Kentucky who has more one and done players then any other school. The questions is why did UConn have so many players who weren't in good academic standings when they left? UConn had too many players who were not in good academic standings and that's why the men are not eligible to compete in the tournament this year. This was a systematic problem during JC last years at coaching.

This is one of the best points ive ever seen anybody make on this board.

Reaction Score
No. To not criticize a team that has brought so much bad press to the University would seem a bit foolish. Some posters may not realize it, but a University should have a higher priority than winning basketball games with players who don't belong in college.

WOW, take a step down off your pedestal pal. What about all the good press they've brought? You cannot tell me that the University would be where it is today without the Men's basketball team. Saying these kids don't belong in college... that's just ignorant.

Reaction Score
I love Geno, I read his book, I like the Women's team. They are a force to be reckoned with and are the biggest thing going in the women's game.

But the premise of this thread is ridiculous and it smacks of jealousy. You shouldn't have to blow out another candle to make yours brighter.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
This is comparing apples to tectonic plates.

JS

Reaction Score
I do apologize to the language in regards to the ignorant posters on this thread.....my bad!! Just a ridiculous thread which ignites anger regarding the comparisons of which there aren't any!
Not exactly a gracious apology, which doesn't matter.

What does matter is that posters from other BY boards are welcome here, and others have shown the ability to comment on what was obviously a provocative OP and resulting thread without indulging in name-calling, personal attacks, or otherwise being uncivil.

If you want to post on this board, you need to observe the local standards of what's acceptable. Otherwise, stay where you usually hang out.

Reaction Score
The people on this board have no clue how the apr works, do you really think it's an accurate indicator of academics? UNC had all of their players taking no show classes and having people write the players papers, if UConn did the same they wouldn't be in any trouble. As far as comparing the women's team to the men's team it's just ridiculous. There is an unbelievable amount of talent in the men's game and parity reigns supreme. The women's game simply doesn't have nearly as many talented players and there still isn't much parity. I support the women's program and think their accomplishments are amazing but comparing them to the men's team is foolish. Geno understands this I just wish the entire UConn fanbase did as well. This foolishness has made it to the press before and Geno was forced to compare the two games, he laughed and said they are basically 2 different sports and asked what the halftime score would be if they played each other he said the score would be whatever the men wanted it to be, the men would win by 50 or 100. Let's just celebrate that the women's program is by far the best in their sport and the men are top 5 in their sport.

Reaction Score
It's funny and interesting to me that everyone on this board is a fan of the same University, yet some choose to disparage Men's team. It's fine if you aren't a fan of the team or prefer Women's hoops... but to criticize a team that bears the same name on its jersey as the team that you root so hard for seems a bit foolish, no? Not to mention the borderline racist commentary from "Huskyblooz" over there. You need to get out more.

Agreed. Not exactly the best time in the university's history for fans to draw lines in the sand between our athletic programs.

Reaction Score
Not exactly a gracious apology, which doesn't matter.

What does matter is that posters from other BY boards are welcome here, and others have shown the ability to comment on what was obviously a provocative OP and resulting thread without indulging in name-calling, personal attacks, or otherwise being uncivil.

If you want to post on this board, you need to observe the local standards of what's acceptable. Otherwise, stay where you usually hang out.

All I can say to that, is you're lucky that HuskyFanDan hasn't seen this thread yet..

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm locking this thread. Just a clue, men's board and football board posters, name -calling and derision aren't convincing ways of making your point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom