Why Can't Anyone Admit... | The Boneyard

Why Can't Anyone Admit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
That from a big game standpoint SCAR played how they always play. Well at least in reference to this years 5 previous games against ranked opponents. This is really frustrating me. Frankly, it's frustrated me all year long. The day before the game I went through and quickly looked at their numbers. I was shocked. Take a look:

SCAR vs #22- Result W 67-63 (.359 Shooting)
SCAR vs #9- Result W 51-50 (.377 Shooting)
SCAR vs #10- Result W 68-60 (.338 Shooting)
SCAR vs #12- Result W 79-61 (.491 Shooting) *Respectable night here. I give props where they are due.
SCAR vs #22- Result W 58-35 (.386 Shooting)

How on earth, could anyone with an average big game shooting percentage under 40%, 39.02 to be exact think that they would walk in to Gampel and win? How? They average 66 points a game vs ranked opponents. Who really thought 66 points was gonna be enough. If you didn't think it would, how then could you think they were gonna manage to score MORE vs UConn. Am I the only person confused by all this? Lets look at the other side here.

UCONN vs #6- Result L 86-88 (.406 Shooting)
UCONN vs #2- Result W 76-58 (.475 Shooting)
UCONN vs #25- Result W 98-64 (.541 Shooting)
UCONN vs #10- Result W 83-52 (.517 Shooting)

With just that information alone UConn averages nearly 50% shooting vs ranked opponents, 48.475 to be exact and score on average 86 points a game vs ranked opponents. This is what people do not understand. UConn's big game stats are nearly parallel to their season stats. That is what sets them apart. Doesn't matter where we play or who we play we perform at a high level consistently. I saw so many mock ups leading up to that game about how similar their stats were on the years. Did no one notice that SCAR has done "just enough" in their games vs ranked opponents to win. Was this not a factor in pre-game analysis. To end my frustrating rant. If you used the same stats I used to predict this game you would have gotten this result:

Prediction UCONN 86-SCAR 66
Actual Result UCONN 87-SCAR 62

Maybe someone should pass this to Carolyn Peck.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
crazypills.jpg

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
But ouch! The Gamecocks shot 39.4% against UConn, so you're pointing out that the Huskies D was slacking off compared to all those other ranked opponents. :rolleyes:

Yeah, USCar's experience against high level ranked opponents was lacking this season, and the results against the other ranked teams was not highly impressive though they got the W's. But you needn't be frustrated, because some times weird and unexpected things happen, and rather than the experts pounding in the boring and obvious, their job is to try to hype up the possibilities of either a competitive game or an upset. Sometimes like in the UConn - ND 2011 FF game, all the stats and percentages get thrown out the window. And then the next day instead of rehashing what all the pregame numbers showed, we are left asking, What happened?

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
But ouch! The Gamecocks shot 39.4% against UConn, so you're pointing out that the Huskies D was slacking off compared to all those other ranked opponents. :rolleyes:

Yeah, USCar's experience against high level ranked opponents was lacking this season, and the results against the other ranked teams was not highly impressive though they got the W's. But you needn't be frustrated, because some times weird and unexpected things happen, and rather than the experts pounding in the boring and obvious, their job is to try to hype up the possibilities of either a competitive game or an upset. Sometimes like in the UConn - ND 2011 FF game, all the stats and percentages get thrown out the window. And then the next day instead of rehashing what all the pregame numbers showed, we are left asking, What happened?
What I pointed out was that I expected them to shoot under 40%. Like they did. If you want to say UConn's defense was slacking 8 minutes out of 40... that's your prerogative ;). Like I said I give credit where it is due. I love analysis; but it just seemed to me that not one single analyst came out and was like if you take a closer look this game shouldn't even be close. It's that darn Carolyn Peck comparison she did on the SEC Network that really bugs me. She didn't even try to sound like she looked at any stats or anything. I should find that video link and put it in here... I just realized I'm ranting again.

Darn you BY this is why I can't work at work.

Reaction Score
It's that darn Carolyn Peck comparison she did on the SEC Network that really bugs me. She didn't even try to sound like she looked at any stats or anything.

The next stat Peck looks at will be the first. She is the mistress of generalities and noise-filler

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
If you used the same stats I used to predict this game you would have gotten this result:

Curious how you came up with your prediction - was it UCONN's average offense against ranked teams vs. SC's average offense against their ranked teams? I honestly was surprised SC scored over 60. I figured given their 51 points vs. Duke and their 58 points against Georgia would have predicted they'd score about 50 vs. UCONN (My official prediction was UCONN 74, SC 50). I didn't think UCONN would get to 87 given how we scored against ND. Anyway, obviously great game. so fun as a fan to watch!

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Curious how you came up with your prediction - was it UCONN's average offense against ranked teams vs. SC's average offense against their ranked teams? I honestly was surprised SC scored over 60. I figured given their 51 points vs. Duke and their 58 points against Georgia would have predicted they'd score about 50 vs. UCONN (My official prediction was UCONN 74, SC 50). I didn't think UCONN would get to 87 given how we scored against ND. Anyway, obviously great game. so fun as a fan to watch!
Yeah my original predictions not based on stats based on my own general knowledge of UConn was 73-50, I believe. I'd have to go find my original post in the predictions thread to be 100% positive, but I thought it'd be a much more defensive minded slower pace game. But after running averages I was pretty shocked like I said before that they managed that many wins shooting so poorly in big games. I also tried to watch a bit of tape of Dawn Staley in all their post game conferences after big games and I recorded a few South Carolina games. I noticed that no one seemed concerned by the stats... at all. I also noticed that when forced to actually run half court offense it was like they were playing in slow motion. So if no one is talking about the poor shooting in big games in press conferences, and in their after practice videos on their site; my guess is they probably won't be working on it before the big game. Just seemed weird to me. Then Carolyn sent me overboard lol.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This is really frustrating me. The day before the game I went through and quickly looked at their numbers.

How on earth, could anyone with an average big game shooting percentage under 40%, 39.02 to be exact think that they would walk in to Gampel and win?

This is what people do not understand.

If you used the same stats I used to predict this game you would have gotten this result:

Nuyoika,
People do not understand because unlike you they never look at the numbers. Wins and losses is about as far of an analysis that most people do. How many people even check the box score after watching a game? I appreciate your analysis, but if you expect many more people (including Carolyn Peck) to appreciate it the same way that I do -you will continue to be frustrated.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I also noticed that when forced to actually run half court offense it was like they were playing in slow motion.
Sounds like most SEC teams.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Nuyoika,
People do not understand because unlike you they never look at the numbers. Wins and losses is about as far of an analysis that most people do. How many people even check the box score after watching a game? I appreciate your analysis, but if you expect many more people (including Carolyn Peck) to appreciate it the same way that I do -you will continue to be frustrated.
I've begun to resign myself to that fact.

Reaction Score
Peck does SEC Network games in addition to ESPN games. This is why she picked SC.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
No problem with So Carolina being ranked #1 as UConn did lose to an average Stanford team. If we're honest after the Stanford loss, UConn could have dropped below 3rd but didn't because of last years National Championship and reputation. Until South Carolina lost with their talented roster they should have been ranked #1. Now that they've lost and been exposed by UConn, I'm not sure if they should be ranked 2nd.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
No problem with So Carolina being ranked #1 as UConn did lose to an average Stanford team. If we're honest after the Stanford loss, UConn could have dropped below 3rd but didn't because of last years National Championship and reputation. Until South Carolina lost with their talented roster they should have been ranked #1. Now that they've lost and been exposed by UConn, I'm not sure if they should be ranked 2nd.
I had always thought ND was a better team, but they've had some problems this year too. I don't see it changing much the rest of the way unless SC loses to TN, and I hope that doesn't happen.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Didn't we drop to 4 after the Stanford loss, but earned the number 2 after the Notre Dame win?

Reaction Score
Didn't we drop to 4 after the Stanford loss, but earned the number 2 after the Notre Dame win?
We dropped to #3 in the Nov 24 poll, then up to #2 in the Dec 8 poll (AP)

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
We dropped to #3 in the Nov 24 poll, then up to #2 in the Dec 8 poll (AP)
You're right, I might have been thinking coaches poll week 2.

Reaction Score
That from a big game standpoint SCAR played how they always play. Well at least in reference to this years 5 previous games against ranked opponents. This is really frustrating me. Frankly, it's frustrated me all year long. The day before the game I went through and quickly looked at their numbers. I was shocked. Take a look:

SCAR vs #22- Result W 67-63 (.359 Shooting)
SCAR vs #9- Result W 51-50 (.377 Shooting)
SCAR vs #10- Result W 68-60 (.338 Shooting)
SCAR vs #12- Result W 79-61 (.491 Shooting) *Respectable night here. I give props where they are due.
SCAR vs #22- Result W 58-35 (.386 Shooting)

How on earth, could anyone with an average big game shooting percentage under 40%, 39.02 to be exact think that they would walk in to Gampel and win? How? They average 66 points a game vs ranked opponents. Who really thought 66 points was gonna be enough. If you didn't think it would, how then could you think they were gonna manage to score MORE vs UConn. Am I the only person confused by all this? Lets look at the other side here.

UCONN vs #6- Result L 86-88 (.406 Shooting)
UCONN vs #2- Result W 76-58 (.475 Shooting)
UCONN vs #25- Result W 98-64 (.541 Shooting)
UCONN vs #10- Result W 83-52 (.517 Shooting)

With just that information alone UConn averages nearly 50% shooting vs ranked opponents, 48.475 to be exact and score on average 86 points a game vs ranked opponents. This is what people do not understand. UConn's big game stats are nearly parallel to their season stats. That is what sets them apart. Doesn't matter where we play or who we play we perform at a high level consistently. I saw so many mock ups leading up to that game about how similar their stats were on the years. Did no one notice that SCAR has done "just enough" in their games vs ranked opponents to win. Was this not a factor in pre-game analysis. To end my frustrating rant. If you used the same stats I used to predict this game you would have gotten this result:

+1,000

Reaction Score
Someone posted over on Volnation that he had discovered the secret of the LV's great defense; hardly anyone in the SEC has a decent offense! Of course, he got clobbered by the faithful.

Yup. They eat their young over there.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score

Stats meant nothing in those semis! Stewie b came Stewie in the Tmt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom