Why are we playing weeknight XL Center games while school is in session? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Why are we playing weeknight XL Center games while school is in session?

Reaction Score
Uh I was there too and there was literally nothing to cheer about for 35 minutes of game time.
Was there as well. 22 points in the first half.

1643850360701.gif

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong always been an advocate for all games at Gampel, just know there are many who hate the drive.
If I lived out there I'd hate driving to Hartford more. Connecticut has not done a good job with its cities, similarly to the state I raised my family - New Jersey. I live in Florida now but my buddies and I intend to renew our tradition of buying tickets for all the BE tourney games and making a long weekend of it. NYC is a city worth visiting. THe XL center is a terrible bball venue. My last UCONN home game was at Gampel when USF came in just before covid shut everything down. I had been at the USF game in Tampa earlier as I live in Clearwater and was happy to see the revenge. We had a multifamily reunion with my nephew who was a graduating senior at the time. Turns out the game and our dinner after ended up being his graduation party because covid shut everything down. I would drive the extra distance to the campus to see a game any day.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I agree. I was there and was embarrassed. Except for a few times during the 2nd half when the crowd was really juiced, it was the usual XL crowd sitting in their seats and barely cheering. A buddy of mine said Bill Raftery even made a dig at the crowd saying oh I finally I hear a home crowd in the 2nd half. People were rushing for the exits when we were down 2 with a minute to go
I hate that , but in fairness down 2 with a minute to go is a virtual lock for a loss. Empty arena or packed house.

UConn needs to be like Phish. Punish fans for not showing up so they show up next time.

Reaction Score
They aren’t bussing students to the xl center. Moronic.
Is this true? When I was a student there were buses. This is pretty bad if true. How are freshmen expected to go to the games?

Reaction Score
alright so lets make an effort to turn around this XL center mindset against Marquette on Tuesday.

will gladly do my part. can't wait. will be a huge game and we need to step it up in the building.

Reactions: CV1

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
This is peak Boneyard. Getting in and out of the XL is a breeze, certainly compared to Gampel. But you would actually have to attend games to know that.
whens last gampel game youve attended?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
whens last gampel game youve attended?
It was the USF game on 2/23/20. My seats were the normal cramped Gampel seats so we moved to the upper bowl of the main student section because no students were sitting there. Why do you ask?

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Attendence at both arenas has been an issue at both arenas in recent history. Part of that has to do with the state of the program. I just wish they could institute some sort of system to track season ticket holders using their seats. Far too often I have been in sections where the season ticket holders either do not show up, leaving empty seats or sell their tickets and they end up in the hands of the opposing teams fans. I understand you have the right to sell your tickets, but the season ticket holders that are attending the games and supporting the team through all the ups and downs should be rewarded and have the opportunity to better their seats in future years. We need bodies in as many seats as possible.

Reaction Score
Attendence at both arenas has been an issue at both arenas in recent history. Part of that has to do with the state of the program. I just wish they could institute some sort of system to track season ticket holders using their seats. Far too often I have been in sections where the season ticket holders either do not show up, leaving empty seats or sell their tickets and they end up in the hands of the opposing teams fans. I understand you have the right to sell your tickets, but the season ticket holders that are attending the games and supporting the team through all the ups and downs should be rewarded and have the opportunity to better their seats in future years. We need bodies in as many seats as possible.
Have argued that forever - esp corporate seats.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Have anyone tried to buy a ticket to the next two home games at the XL on the website? I know that's probably a no on the Yard. FYI, It sends you to the buy season tickets page.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The answers are:

1. Fox Sports, not ESPN
2. New Big East, not Old Big East
3. The donor/corporate money lives closer to XL than Gampel and they aren't buying just the Dec schlock.

You can write the questions on your own.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
I have had very great & very good seats for BE games at Gampel & XL listed on StubHub for substantial discounts - rot on the vine. There are no excuses

I buy donate $$, buy tickets, drive substantial distance to XL & Gampel - I have a great time watching the Huskies & Big East hoop.

I do not care what the 20k whiners say sitting at home. If there was a will they would find a way. They do not.

Reaction Score
Have anyone tried to buy a ticket to the next two home games at the XL on the website? I know that's probably a no on the Yard. FYI, It sends you to the buy season tickets page.
Go straight to uconn’s website

Reaction Score
It was the USF game on 2/23/20. My seats were the normal cramped Gampel seats so we moved to the upper bowl of the main student section because no students were sitting there. Why do you ask?

Probably because they’ve changed traffic patterns quite a lot on campus for events and it’s an absolute breeze getting out of there. Not that Hartford is particularly difficult either

Reaction Score
I was so taken aback by the lack of students at that game that I took this photo five minutes before tip. In fairness, the student section was packed for the Cincy game two weeks before. I love a good Gampel game as much as anyone, but as an adult with a job and a family, I appreciate being able to get to a few games at the XL Center because it’s just 20 minutes away (plus more concessions, more bathrooms, more actual seats you can fit it, etc.). I can see a shift towards a Gampel to XL ratio of 10/8 or even 12/6. Just remember that for a few years, students did not show up even when games were on campus. Performance impact attendance and atmosphere more than the other way around.

Let’s also acknowledge that we’re at the tail end of a bad COVID wave before reading too much into attendance and atmosphere at one game. I’m not nearly as loud yelling through a KN95 mask.

Attachments

• 626C2610-2F05-4CAA-B580-E4105B78FA12.jpeg
    626C2610-2F05-4CAA-B580-E4105B78FA12.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 130
Reaction Score
Let’s check in to see what the coaches wife thinks… If it’s not a sellout, XL is sooo flat. I’m just not a fan, at all. And it seems that most around the program feel that way too, that matters. I always find it funny when UConn fans complain about the drive to Storrs. You never hear that about other big time programs. I’m just imaging a Duke fan complaining about driving to Cameron when they work in Raleigh, doesn’t happen.

Attachments

• DA1B019C-5B44-4CBA-9BD1-7DF08A4DA568.jpeg
    DA1B019C-5B44-4CBA-9BD1-7DF08A4DA568.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 124

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Let’s check in to see what the coaches wife thinks… If it’s not a sellout, XL is sooo flat. I’m just not a fan, at all. And it seems that most around the program feel that way too, that matters. I always find it funny when UConn fans complain about the drive to Storrs. You never hear that about other big time programs. I’m just imaging a Duke fan complaining about driving to Cameron when they work in Raleigh, doesn’t happen.
Did she delete this? She’s spot on. In Danny’s future contract extension negotiation he should demand that all home games be played at Gampel. As posters have stated it’s all year to year with XL, it should be easy to cut them out. There will be some huffing and puffing from what little is left of the downtown F&B industry but it’s time. It’s not working for us.

Reaction Score
Did she delete this? She’s spot on. In Danny’s future contract extension negotiation he should demand that all home games be played at Gampel. As posters have stated it’s all year to year with XL, it should be easy to cut them out. There will be some huffing and puffing from what little is left of the downtown F&B industry but it’s time. It’s not working for us.
Ya she deleted it. She’s definitely right tho, the vibes are just off and Gampel is the better venue. A rowdy Gampel is just better. The state pimps UConn basketball out as a favor to Hartford, as that venue and the city continue to not hold up their end of the bargain. It’s just crazy to me that the two main sports at UConn are each 35-40 min off campus, it’s an awful set up for success. I can’t think of another high major basketball team that plays a majority of their games that far from campus. I think Miami is one of the few that plays that far off for football. At the end of the day, the campus is located in Storrs and it has a 10,000 person arena. It should be prioritized.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom