Why Adama Sanogo's 3-point prowess could mean more playing time for UConn freshman Donovan Clingan (Borges) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Why Adama Sanogo's 3-point prowess could mean more playing time for UConn freshman Donovan Clingan (Borges)

Reaction Score
Putting AJax at 5 would also potentially clear the opponents 5 from the paint, and put one of our best rebounders in position for putbacks or kickouts off misses. Lots to like

Reaction Score
I agree with most of what you said, but I also believe that if/when we have AS and DC both in together, if the opponent was to have their 4-man chase Sanogo out to the 3 point line, then that leaves Donovan one on one with their 5-man.

I think this sounded really good when Clingan was playing a bit more efficiently but it doesn't instill the same confidence in me now. He's shooting 44% from the field over his last 8 games. He's had one game in that stretch where he shot over 50% (he was 2-2). I like Clingan a lot and I think he will be a great Big East center, but he still has a lot of room to refine his game if he wants to consistently outplay Big East centers, especially some of the guys who have been doing it for years. There a LOT of good big men in this league (Kalkbrenner, Nunge, Soriano, Croswell, etc) and it's perfectly normal for a freshman to have some growing pains learning how to play against them.

I think he needs more minutes, but I don't think he's suddenly going to flip the script singlehandedly.

Reaction Score
I never said people can't criticize him. There will always be some level of critiquing of coaches decisions. What I get a kick out of though is people acting as though the coaching staff doesn't know what they are doing, or don't see or coach the obvious things. Do people really think that D1 coaches haven't told Adama he needs to handle double teams better or haven't worked with Andre on his offensive game?
You can question the strategy. Why is Sanogo in the post if he can’t pass out of it efficiently?

You notice that Sanogo isn’t a n isolation No. 1 option any longer? They moved away from the dump it in to the big guy and clear out.

By allow Jackson’s man to just sit in the paint and provide pre-help defense, essentially eliminating any ability of the team to go to the basket?

Hurley believes in Jackson. Believes in the work he has done. The critique is that he believes in him too much and he doesn’t see what we see, clearly, that Jackson just can’t score in those situations at an efficient enough level in games. Also. Jackson is uncomfortable with the ball.

Jackson , should be scoring above 1.0 points per shot on that defense. That’s the metric. 6 points on 11 shots is not great efficiency.

Reaction Score
you lose a few inches but with Jax’s vertical he can get up way higher than AS. I wish DH was that flexible.

It would be nice if we did something out of the box to confound the other coach and dictate play….but we won’t. DH spent the entire off season deciding how we will play and that’s what we will do…damn the results.
The team is good. And, hurkey is doing a good job.
Putting AJax at 5 would also potentially clear the opponents 5 from the paint, and put one of our best rebounders in position for putbacks or kickouts off misses. Lots to like

It is just offensively. Sanogo a high post player. Jackson can do what he does best, just create havoc with his energy and his effort.

I know everyone marvels at Jackson’s athleticism, and yes it is off the charts, but his effort level and motor are also of an extreme pace.

Does anyone play as hard as him at constant max speed?

Reaction Score
You can question the strategy...
You can question the strategy. Why is Sanogo in the post if he can’t pass out of it efficiently? Because he is one of the best low post players in the country. Points per shot are extremely good. He is starting to pass out better lately too.

You notice that Sanogo isn’t a n isolation No. 1 option any longer? They moved away from the dump it in to the big guy and clear out. They haven't completely moved away from it (They better not). I think the two main factors why you have seen less of it recently 1) The emergence of Hawkins as such a lethal weapon, and focusing on him being the first option, and 2) Jackson's man clogging the lane

By allow Jackson’s man to just sit in the paint and provide pre-help defense, essentially eliminating any ability of the team to go to the basket? Not sure what you mean by "allowing", but yes I agree, this is the #1 thing Hurley has to solve for coaching wise in my opinion.

Hurley believes in Jackson. Believes in the work he has done. The critique is that he believes in him too much and he doesn’t see what we see, clearly, that Jackson just can’t score in those situations at an efficient enough level in games. Also. Jackson is uncomfortable with the ball. Completely agree with this, they have to help Jackson with this mentally or scheme wise or sit Jackson more

Jackson , should be scoring above 1.0 points per shot on that defense. That’s the metric. 6 points on 11 shots is not great efficiency. Agreed. All players have shots they should be taking and not taking based on points per shot. And for Jackson right now the only shot that has an acceptable points per shot is a dunk. He shouldn't be shooting much at all.

Sorry about my inability to get the mult-quote working.

Reaction Score
I think this sounded really good when Clingan was playing a bit more efficiently but it doesn't instill the same confidence in me now. He's shooting 44% from the field over his last 8 games. He's had one game in that stretch where he shot over 50% (he was 2-2). I like Clingan a lot and I think he will be a great Big East center, but he still has a lot of room to refine his game if he wants to consistently outplay Big East centers, especially some of the guys who have been doing it for years. There a LOT of good big men in this league (Kalkbrenner, Nunge, Soriano, Croswell, etc) and it's perfectly normal for a freshman to have some growing pains learning how to play against them.

I think he needs more minutes, but I don't think he's suddenly going to flip the script singlehandedly.
I hear what you're saying and agree with your premise... I am not saying he's gonna play 25 minutes... so to me this is not an attempt to get him starter or "co-starter" kind of minutes.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Question...does Adama take threes while standing? Very unique.

pj

Reaction Score
Even if you play Karaban at the 4 only, you still have 80 minutes to distribute among 3 players, or 27 each. You can give 30 each to Sanogo and Karaban and 20 to Clingan. Sanogo gets 20 at center alongside Karaban and 10 at PF alongside Clingan.

Figured it might be helpful to put lineups in a table format:

BIG - CBIG - PFMINUTES/GAMEPERIMETER - PRIMARYPERIMETER - BACKUPS
SanogoKaraban20Newton - Hawkins - Jackson(Alleyne or Calcaterra for Hawkins or Jackson), (Diarra for Newton)
ClinganKaraban10Newton - Hawkins - Jackson(Alleyne or Calcaterra for Hawkins or Jackson), (Diarra for Newton)
ClinganSanogo10Newton - Hawkins - Alleyne(Calcaterra for Hawkins or Alleyne), (Diarra for Newton)

This rotation always has 3 perimeter shooters (Newton & Hawkins backed by Alleyne or Calcaterra with one of Karaban or Alleyne) and has the double big for 10 minutes per game without Jackson on the court.

This is an 8 player rotation if Calcaterra doesn't get minutes, 9 if he does.

Reaction Score
I am with this. Notably as an anti-two centers guy (two centers doesn’t a work) but offensively sanogo play the perimeter.

Seems counter intuitive, but he is better as a face up big with threat to shoot than as a low post back to the basket option.

Hell, I would play Jackson in the 5 on offense and sanogo on the perimeter as a 4.

Defensively? Could be a train wreck if you go Karaban at the 3 against a classic 3-guard lineup. He can’t guard out there like that.

I am disappointed in Hurkey’s creativeness with the team, tbh. There were other combinations out there, especially with a weird skill set guy like Jackson who you can’t have on the court on offense, and have to have on the court if you are going to win.
I think Sanogo is a pretty good defender actually, I've seen him in other games guarding well and moving feet well. I feel he could do fine

Reaction Score
In this scenario, is Sanogo playing the 4 and switching onto Jackson's guy on defense? Because there's no way Jackson can guard most centers in the BE.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think it's situational really.
It's completely situational but I would have zero problem with a three man rotation (and basically identical minutes) of Sanogo, Karaban and Clingan manning PF & C against Providence.

Reaction Score
Future Headline? : "Dan Hurley-(in a move many considered to be pure coaching genius), decides to play two of his teams best players at the same time and powers Uconn to a Fifth NC"
Since I would have been giving Sanogo minutes at the 4 in Nov , Dec. because it’s critical to get him to the next level as well as a wild card in certain matchups . I don’t consider it genius move more like a pragmatic one.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah, I’m not sure that I see Jackson being happy, banging away against bigger guys. Yes, he can out jump them, but is he going to be affective in boxing them out and stopping them when they body him up and drive to the basket?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
@PAHusky @CL82
Yes I am proposing this as an option on offense. I am very happy with his current defensive role as a shutdown perimeter guy
Ah got it. From what I’ve seen of Jackson, he doesn’t like banging very much. So I can’t see him as a traditional back to the basket 5. On the other hand, any opportunity you have to utilize his athleticism, would seem to be a good thing. So I see looking for him with a lot of cuts to the basket and alleyoop opportunities. But movement is the key. I also think you have to clear other people out of the paint to make him comfortable.

Reaction Score
Ah got it. From what I’ve seen of Jackson, he doesn’t like banging very much. So I can’t see him as a traditional back to the basket 5. On the other hand, any opportunity you have to utilize his athleticism, would seem to be a good thing. So I see looking for him with a lot of cuts to the basket and alleyoop opportunities. But movement is the key. I also think you have to clear other people out of the paint to make him comfortable.
He's such a unique player. Utilizing his athleticism and motor in an unconventional way will disrupt opposing teams gameplans and maximize his effect

Reaction Score
I agree with most of what you said, but I also believe that if/when we have AS and DC both in together, if the opponent was to have their 4-man chase Sanogo out to the 3 point line, then that leaves Donovan one on one with their 5-man. In that scenario, it (1) let's DC try to take advantage of a height mismatch and (2) if/when help comes over, it let's DC with his very good passing ability hit the open man on the perimeter (Hawk or Alex or Tristen most likely).

Also, if you get a high-low with DC at the key, he either sets effective picks or is able to find the open man down low (often AS or a cutter) by passing over the top of the defense.

What's not to like on offense?

Defensively, I think it can work for periods of man to man and with a zone. This would throw monkey wrenches at our opponents and that is exactly what is needed in tourney time when teams either know you well (BE tourney) or have lots of scout time (NCAA tourney). It's all about which team adjusts better.

I know I'm picking out happy path scenarios, but I just don't see why the AS/DC combo can't be done for 5-10 minutes a game depending on matchups, foul trouble, etc.

I think if this were to be successful, it would take us from sweet sixteen potential to Elite 8 or better potential. That's why I think the staff should use the next 5 games to give this a try.
Makes every sense both defensively as well as offensively. From your lips to Danny’s ears!!!!!

Reaction Score
I have been reading a lot of articles about how no one will draft Sanogo because he is too small for NBA center and they don’t think he can play for 4 position. I think Adama can defend the four spot, and can score from the outside as well as drive to the hoop. Hurley needs to play him beside Clingan so he can prove it to the scouts. He owes it to Adama.

Reaction Score
The tradeoff isn't Jackson to Clingan though, I agree though that on offense the spacing is no different. It's on defense where I don't think that lineup can compete. Clingan at the 5 is an upgrade, but Sanogo guarding 4's and Karaban guarding 3's is a negative compared to against 4's and 5's.

I'm not against it for a few minutes in some games for a few minutes, but it's not the solution to the offensive spacing issues. I just think it's funny there's a thread like this every few days over Clingan getting 12-13 minutes instead of the 15 people want. It's splitting hairs
Why not some zone when the two bigs are in together? Especially versus Seton Hall and St. John’s, two teams that struggle from deep.

Reaction Score
I have been reading a lot of articles about how no one will draft Sanogo because he is too small for NBA center and they don’t think he can play for 4 position. I think Adama can defend the four spot, and can score from the outside as well as drive to the hoop. Hurley needs to play him beside Clingan so he can prove it to the scouts. He owes it to Adama.

I love the faith iinour guy, but he absolutely cannot defend 4s. Doesn't have the lateral footspeed.

Reaction Score
I think Sanogo is a pretty good defender actually, I've seen him in other games guarding well and moving feet well. I feel he could do fine
He is a good judge defender. But he isn’t particularly long or big, and isn’t the rim protection that hurkey needs. He is likely a PF due to that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom