Why Adama Sanogo's 3-point prowess could mean more playing time for UConn freshman Donovan Clingan (Borges) | The Boneyard

Why Adama Sanogo's 3-point prowess could mean more playing time for UConn freshman Donovan Clingan (Borges)

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
“For a player who was MVP of the Huskies' shining moment this season, a Phil Knight Invitational championship, and who was legitimately one of the better big men in the nation the first couple months of the season, seven minutes seems illogical. There's a reason there are people wearing "Play Donovan More" t-shirts at home games.”

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
We know exactly why, it's because our starting center is on the Kareem Abdul Jabbar watch list
Ok but what is the difference spacing wise between Clingan and Jackson? Either way the defender isn’t leaving the paint.

They’re both impact defenders, but only one is an offensive liability. I think using Sanogo and Clingan simultaneously makes sense when Jackson sits unless one is in foul trouble or Sanogo is getting torched by the other teams 4

Reaction Score
Ok but what is the difference spacing wise between Clingan and Jackson? Either way the defender isn’t leaving the paint.

They’re both impact defenders, but only one is an offensive liability. I think using Sanogo and Clingan simultaneously makes sense when Jackson sits unless one is in foul trouble or Sanogo is getting torched by the other teams 4
Right sanogo is the only 1 of the 3 that can shoot so he would have to play outside instead of AJ. It’s great that sanogo has gotten better at shooting 3s but moving him to the perimeter is a waste of his elite post scoring ability.

Regardless, which pairing nets us more points? Sanogo down low and AJ outside, what we’re currently doing, is giving us ~23 ppg. Would playing the same amount of minutes with Clingan down low and sanogo outside give us more?

Maybe. I could see ~12ppg from sanogo and ~12ppg from Clingan. Sanogo would be taking more of his shots from outside and shooting a lower percentage than he is now so Clingan would have to make up the difference.

Is an extra point or two worth potentially ruining team chemistry and morale of our co captains?

Reaction Score

The tradeoff isn't Jackson to Clingan though, I agree though that on offense the spacing is no different. It's on defense where I don't think that lineup can compete. Clingan at the 5 is an upgrade, but Sanogo guarding 4's and Karaban guarding 3's is a negative compared to against 4's and 5's.

I'm not against it for a few minutes in some games for a few minutes, but it's not the solution to the offensive spacing issues. I just think it's funny there's a thread like this every few days over Clingan getting 12-13 minutes instead of the 15 people want. It's splitting hairs

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Maybe we’ll figure it out by the end of May. Frustrating
What would you lose if you'd written, "I'd like us to explore and benefit from this possibility in the next 5 games" instead? Isn't that what you really prefer?

In acknowledging & addressing my own similar frustrations, I have to consciously forgo making cheap, defeatist jokes that chase the brief, unquenchable, non-nutritive, sugar rush-like high of glib sarcasm. It makes me less in sync and popular with many of my natural allies who, roughly speaking, are committed & passionate fans no less or more than I am. This is a forfeited strength that every single season needs to be built in the next 3 weeks, and leveraged in the two single imitation tournaments that immediately follow.

Reaction Score
Maybe we’ll figure it out by the end of May. Frustrating
Frustrating for sure. Not expecting change in MSG but holding out hope it all comes together for a deep run in March.

Reaction Score
Right sanogo is the only 1 of the 3 that can shoot so he would have to play outside instead of AJ. It’s great that sanogo has gotten better at shooting 3s but moving him to the perimeter is a waste of his elite post scoring ability.

Regardless, which pairing nets us more points? Sanogo down low and AJ outside, what we’re currently doing, is giving us ~23 ppg. Would playing the same amount of minutes with Clingan down low and sanogo outside give us more?

Maybe. I could see ~12ppg from sanogo and ~12ppg from Clingan. Sanogo would be taking more of his shots from outside and shooting a lower percentage than he is now so Clingan would have to make up the difference.

Is an extra point or two worth potentially ruining team chemistry and morale of our co captains?
And then there's this all-too-forgotten thing - the defensive side of the ball. It's impossible to know unless we give it a try and I really hope in the last 5 games we try the Adama/Donovan thingy more in game action (the goal at this point is to avoid the Wednesday game)... Give Andre and Karaban a bit less time to rest them, have them watch a bit more, etc and get everything in place for the BE tourney.

Reaction Score
The tradeoff isn't Jackson to Clingan though, I agree though that on offense the spacing is no different. It's on defense where I don't think that lineup can compete. Clingan at the 5 is an upgrade, but Sanogo guarding 4's and Karaban guarding 3's is a negative compared to against 4's and 5's.

I'm not against it for a few minutes in some games for a few minutes, but it's not the solution to the offensive spacing issues. I just think it's funny there's a thread like this every few days over Clingan getting 12-13 minutes instead of the 15 people want. It's splitting hairs

Dude, we lost the last game by 1-2 possessions. 2-3 minutes of playing time is 6-10 possessions.

No one can defend Jackson getting close to 30 minutes against certain defensive schemes. The minutes need to go somewhere. I’d space them out between DC, NA, and JC.

Reaction Score
We know exactly why, it's because our starting center is on the Kareem Abdul Jabbar watch list
I don’t think that’s the main reason
coaches are notoriously paranoid, Hurley more than most , He would rather have Clingan saved because his worst fear is playing them together and having them both pick up fouls then he is without a 5 .
That’s typical of coaching paranoia.

Reaction Score
Clingan is averaging under 12 minutes per game in conference play, he should be averaging around 20 minutes per game.
Forgot how exact some people on this board are, I should have said 11.9-13 minutes instead of 15

Reaction Score
Tbh, they should go double bigs, but even if they sit , put Jackson at the 5 on offense.

You can not play 4 out if one of the 4 is a non scorer, shooter. Make Jackson be in the sinker spot. Sanogo at the 4 as a face up.

Reaction Score
I was arguing like a lunatic against the two bigs idea but always in favor of increasing Clingan’s minutes even at the expense of Sanogo’s - and I think Sanogo has been very good, but DC is just that level of a talent. At this point, I don’t care if they play 3 bigs 40 minutes each a game if it means more time for DC. His playing time right now is coaching malpractice

Reaction Score

I have a question. Sanogo elite post scoring ability?

Does he really have that? He is good when he has his man sealed, or on dives to the basket where he can get the ball deep. But, as a post up option is he really elite? I don’t find him a particularly good iso postup player from what I have seen.

I just don’t find that to be the case. I like him more and more working from the nail as a face up 4/5 than as a postup option. I think his postup game and efficient play is massively overrated. He has good footwork and a nice touch.

pj

Reaction Score

Even if you play Karaban at the 4 only, you still have 80 minutes to distribute among 3 players, or 27 each. You can give 30 each to Sanogo and Karaban and 20 to Clingan. Sanogo gets 20 at center alongside Karaban and 10 at PF alongside Clingan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom