Why a three? | The Boneyard

Why a three?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I know it went half way down and came out, but why do we settle for a three. It's a tie game, drive and get a better shot and maybe draw a foul. We settle for 3's way too much.
I'm not sure whether it's 4 or 5 posts/responses by you this afternoon, but all were complaining about the best guard in the country, who carried us through the 2nd half today.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure whether it's 4 or 5 posts/responses by you this afternoon, but all were complaining about the best guard in the country, who carried us through the 2nd half today.
I have a right to criticize when it's due. Yes he had a great game but he also took some really bad shots. At times he has to remember to be a point guard and not heave up a three's 5 seconds into a shot clock from beyond NBA range when your 4 or 5 pts up with under 5 to play. And is it wrong to argue with the settling for three in a tie game, penetrate and get a better look or draw the foul.

Reaction Score
I have a right to criticize when it's due. Yes he had a great game but he also took some really bad shots. At times he has to remember to be a point guard and not heave up a three's 5 seconds into a shot clock from beyond NBA range when your 4 or 5 pts up with under 5 to play. And is it wrong to argue with the settling for three in a tie game, penetrate and get a better look or draw the foul.

I was thinking that same exact thing. That one shot I think he took it way to early when you could have ran some clock. But hes on the court playing and were on a computer typing. So in the end I trust his judgement/skills a lot more then everyone on the yards. Atta boy Shabazz!!

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
Who's complaining? I bet KO would have rather seen some penetration there also.

Reaction Score
it was as good a look from 3 as you could get in that situation and it was a shot that Bazz hits throughout the normal flow of games outside of Cincy. whether they were tied or not really doesn't matter, Bazz from that distance with that clear of a look is just as good as him driving into traffic imo. as for the "bad shot" nonsense, how many times does Bazz have to hit these shots before some of you wake up and realize that they are not bad shots for him, he's not your average player, this is what the dude has been doing for 2 seasons now.

Reaction Score
Who's complaining? I bet KO would have rather seen some penetration there also.

Not with the clock running down, he got a good open shot, and almost drained it.

Reaction Score
He was open. He wasn't going to pass up an open shot with time running down to look for a two pointer

Reaction Score
it was as good a look from 3 as you could get in that situation and it was a shot that Bazz hits throughout the normal flow of games outside of Cincy. whether they were tied or not really doesn't matter, Bazz from that distance with that clear of a look is just as good as him driving into traffic imo. as for the "bad shot" nonsense, how many times does Bazz have to hit these shots before some of you wake up and realize that they are not bad shots for him, he's not your average player, this is what the dude has been doing for 2 seasons now.
There bad shots in the sense that he is the point guard and twice within the last 5 minutes with the lead he took NBA range three's and they weren't even wide open shots and they were very early in the shot clock. Your in the double bonus situation, take clock and try to get to the line which is your strength.

Reaction Score
That is a very makable shot for bazz and you avoid the chance of a strip if he penetrates and a run out the other way.

The way the officiating has been all year I would not count on a whistle with seconds left. One play comes to mind when boat got hammered going to the hoop late in the second with no whistle.

Reaction Score
I will fully accept any shot Shabazz decides to take because his decision making has led us to a 20-5 record. If he is feeling it and is in the zone he is the 1 or 1A best player in the entire country. For every "bad shot" you think he takes, he makes 3 others crucial 3's in the face of his opponent. Quick trigger? sometimes....does it guarantee that if we ran offense at that given time it would give us a higher percentage of chance to score? not if Shabazz is feeling it. Sorry man, deal with greatness......

*Those shots may be heat checks, they may be with the shot clock going down, they may be because everyone is gassed and he doesn't think anyone wants to shoot, it may be a personal one-on-one with the opposing player who is confidently hitting shots on the other end, either way what they aren't is selfish. He's played full games and only shot 6-8 times and then people cry because they want their best shooter and scorer to take more shots. If we lost and only shot 6 times I would be groaning too. People need to stop being critical on the 5% of his shots that they feel he shouldn't take. Bottom line: Trust in Shabazz.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If it went down, nobody would be complaining.

Could he have tried to drive for a better shot? Maybe, but he runs the risk of getting it stolen or blocked, or not even getting s shot off. Fouls are hard come by in those situations.

Did you want someone else taking that shot? I didn't.

It was a contested and low percentage shot that he's capable of making in that situation. I was fine with it.

Reaction Score
If it matters Bazz has no conscious when it comes to shooting. That is who he is, and partly what makes him great. Confidence can't be taught and he certainly has no deficiency in that department.

Next year we will be missing his "bad" shots. So enjoy them now you only have a few weeks left to see some incredible balling.

Reaction Score
Interesting to hear someone complain about this when the usual outcry is that "the best player has to take the last shot". Most people these days just expect it to go as it did at the end of regulation, just look at how LeBron James has been criticized in the past for actually daring to pass in those situations.

Reaction Score
Good luck getting a foul call on a buzzer beater drive when the game is tied. It's not going to happen 95% of the time, even if the shooter gets hacked.

Reaction Score
There were a few bad shots to complain about but that wasn't one of them. As stated numerous times above bad shots has an asterisk next to it when it's Shabazz taking them. He's just hit too many to criticize his selection.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
While this applies to his OT performance over the past 3 seasons, I would argue that his "last possession" percentages fall into the same range.
Note the 13 of 18 on threes (72%) as opposed to 2 for 6 on twos (33%).
I think he knows where the money is.

Points 69
FG 15-24
3-pt FG 13-18
FT 26-30
UConn: 9-2 in OT during span

Reaction Score
I was watching on the radio so I could not see where everyone on the floor was. I sounded to me like KO had them playing for the last shot at the last second. This to guarantee overtime at a minimum and a win if that damn thing went down.
I understand the theory of penetrating etc to get a better shot and a possible foul. On the other hand what if the foul got called a charge?
We got a good look, we got OT, we got the W, we got a great game from Bazz...

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Simple as this, let's say he makes that shot 3/10 times. If you penetrate maybe you make it 4/10, 2/10 you get fouled and 1/10 you get called for a charge or turn it over. The thought process is you take your chances with the slightly lower probability because it eliminates the scenario where the other team has a chance to win. It's the same reason we don't foul up 3.

With bazz you have the luxury of onions the size of bowling balls, so you play it that way every damn time.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I was watching on the radio so I could not see where everyone on the floor was. I sounded to me like KO had them playing for the last shot at the last second. This to guarantee overtime at a minimum and a win if that damn thing went down.
I understand the theory of penetrating etc to get a better shot and a possible foul. On the other hand what if the foul got called a charge?
We got a good look, we got OT, we got the W, we got a great game from Bazz...

This.

Reaction Score
He was trying to get to the basket but Memphis brought 3 players at him and there was no room to get by them. Memphis knew who was taking that shot and played Napier accordingly. Someone had to be wide open on the left hand side of the court but I haven't watched the replay to see who.

Reaction Score
He was trying to get to the basket but Memphis brought 3 players at him and there was no room to get by them. Memphis knew who was taking that shot and played Napier accordingly. Someone had to be wide open on the left hand side of the court but I haven't watched the replay to see who.

Kromah was the open guy.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He wasn't being used as a PG at least 50% of time due to fact KO was trying to free him up off the ball. Does he take some ill advised shots yeah but all the good players do when they are hot, and when the team wants the ball in that players hand most of the time during crunch time. Kemba did it, KEA did it, Smitty did and AJ did it.

Reaction Score

Thank you. I bet people thought the pull-up three from three feet behind the line was a bad shot too. The kid constantly takes high degree of difficulty fall-away jumpers and nails them, at some point the "good shot"/"bad shot" thing becomes a guide, and not something that applies to Shabazz, the same way you don't tell Kobe to stop taking contested eighteen footers.

Reaction Score
He had 30 pts already and shoots over 40% from 3 and was open and etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member