Who's your list for next HC? | Page 42 | The Boneyard

Who's your list for next HC?

Reaction Score
It is my opinion, but it is the one most easily dictated by logic. If he's interested in coaching at the P5 Level again the easiest path is 2-3 successful seasons as OC at Oregon where he won't be exposed. Go to Uconn and he could potentially struggle for 3 years before acquiring the talent needed to win 7-8 Games. Struggle longer than that and he might have to take a "prove it" job at a different G5 School before he gets the chance to move up again. I could be completely wrong and he could be happy running The Huskies, however coaches at this level have enormous egos and it likely does not sit well with him how things ended in Starkville. He's likely chomping at the bit to prove he can get it done at that level.

Correct, he can go to UConn and struggle for 3years, however that can happen with any HCing job he takes. There’s no guarantee he’ll succeed wherever he goes and there’s no guarantee we will succeed with the next coach we hire, but that’s all hypothetical. At the end of the day money talks, he’s coached here before and he’s succeeded in the east cost at multiple schools. Given that he’s currently making $900k a year I think we can make a great push for him if we offer around $3-3.5m

Reaction Score
The season is not over. We are not the only school that’ll be looking for a new HC.

Also, you can throw money around all you want - if coach knows there is a better opportunity or if they feel UConn could be a stumbling block in their career they’ll wait it out - regardless of what UConn offers.

Bottom line is if UConn can afford it other schools can as well. It’s got to be the right opportunity for the coach and it’s got to the the right fit for us.

Reaction Score
The season is not over. We are not the only school that’ll be looking for a new HC.

Also, you can throw money around all you want - if coach knows there is a better opportunity or if they feel UConn could be a stumbling block in their career they’ll wait it out - regardless of what UConn offers.

Bottom line is if UConn can afford it other schools can as well. It’s got to be the right opportunity for the coach and it’s got to the the right fit for us.
The majority will highly consider a position offered if the money is 3-4 times their current salary. I would like to also add that just because other schools will be looking for a HC doesn’t necessarily mean UConn doesn’t have a chance, every school has its pros and cons.

Reaction Score
Since it's apparent that Jacksonville Jaguars HC, Urban Mayer may be fired in the not too distant future, can we consider him too. I mean, why not. He can recruit in CT. [Aaron Hernandez], UC probably has monies hidden somewhere. I mean, what the heck. Let's put some excitement back in the football program. Yeah yeah, I know, probably not a snowballs chance in Heck, but it was fun for a laugh. When your football program is drowning in losses, ANY life jacket will do. He would surely make the night life at the Hartford clubs interesting.

Reaction Score
It is my opinion, but it is the one most easily dictated by logic. If he's interested in coaching at the P5 Level again the easiest path is 2-3 successful seasons as OC at Oregon where he won't be exposed. Go to Uconn and he could potentially struggle for 3 years before acquiring the talent needed to win 7-8 Games. Struggle longer than that and he might have to take a "prove it" job at a different G5 School before he gets the chance to move up again. I could be completely wrong and he could be happy running The Huskies, however coaches at this level have enormous egos and it likely does not sit well with him how things ended in Starkville. He's likely chomping at the bit to prove he can get it done at that level.
It's possible he would struggle here, but Moorhead's track record, mixed with the underclassmen on this team shows he could come in and get us to 6 wins most likely I'm his first year. He has been successful every where he's been and even at Miss he wasn't terrible, just wasn't given the opportunity to succeed with the unrealistic expectations of everyone in the SEC west. I full believe he could come in here and win more games in his first year than edsall did his entire second stint combined.

Reaction Score
The question isn't could Moorhead.. but why would he? He will have opportunities that are better setup for success, better funded, and that provide the opportunity to compete for greater prizes. UConn would have to overpay in a way that likely does not make sense.

We have lots of good things.. but our logic is often times clouded by our own love of the school. Objectively it's extraordinarily unlikely he's coming. Wanting the job when it would've been his first ever head coaching job; when the school was at the top level and coming off a high-level bowl appearance with numerous NFL prospects is much different when you've gone 2/2 reaching bowls in the SEC as a head-coach and have options that include P5 schools that have much better funding.

You can note that every school has pros and cons.. but make the list for reasons to take generic P5 job vs reasons to take the UConn job. Do it first by assuming the money for both jobs is equal and around $3-3.5M (so top 40-coach money/top-2/3 in the G5 money). Where do you land?

Reaction Score
Yeah, Morehead has been linked to jobs in PA if like Franklin goes to USC. There will be many more openings at the end of the season but if he wants to revive an underdog? He is the only one I can think that would require a high salary to get.

Reaction Score
Who's on the list for new HC?

If the past is any indication, the new HC will NOT be any type of "name" coach. He will be a young coach, who is trying to make a name, and doesn't care about the future of the program...........OR, he will be a retread, older coach just looking for a job, that will pay just enough. No name coach is going to look at the situation at UC, and say............"hey I can turn this around". Not as long as the Administration continues it's present course. The coaching fraternity sees the situation at Storrs, and want's no part of the tshow. The assistants are not going to be top flight either, because they will not pay them. Finally any HC candidate sees the entrance requirements, and knows that he will not be able to recruit "borderline" recruits. Until those things change UC is going to continue to flounder in the pits. Someone said...............Yankee Conference rebirth. How about the Connecticut Intra-collegiate conference. UC, Trinity, Weseylan, Southern, Central, Western, New Haven, Sacred Heart, Quinnipiac, and the Coast Guard Academy, and Yale. Yeah, go ahead and slam it. At least they might win one or two games.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Who's on the list for new HC?

If the past is any indication, the new HC will NOT be any type of "name" coach. He will be a young coach, who is trying to make a name, and doesn't care about the future of the program...........OR, he will be a retread, older coach just looking for a job, that will pay just enough. No name coach is going to look at the situation at UC, and say............"hey I can turn this around". Not as long as the Administration continues it's present course. The coaching fraternity sees the situation at Storrs, and want's no part of the tshow. The assistants are not going to be top flight either, because they will not pay them. Finally any HC candidate sees the entrance requirements, and knows that he will not be able to recruit "borderline" recruits. Until those things change UC is going to continue to flounder in the pits. Someone said...............Yankee Conference rebirth. How about the Connecticut Intra-collegiate conference. UC, Trinity, Weseylan, Southern, Central, Western, New Haven, Sacred Heart, Quinnipiac, and the Coast Guard Academy, and Yale. Yeah, go ahead and slam it. At least they might win one or two games.
"Thank you for your service and contributions to the University of Connecticut and our football program"

@8893

Reaction Score
I’m inclined to agree with you but on the other hand, lots of guys trying to rebuild their coaching bonafides go the G5 route, not the coordinator route. Unless he decides this is too heavy a lift, it could be a solid job.. He had huge issues at Mississippi State, not just cultural. 10 guys getting suspended in a cheating scandal, your starting qb getting injured in a fight, basically losing it in a press conference. He is Likely seen as a bit of a risky hire as head coach.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
senator tuberville is only a few hundred miles away in DC and is definitely worth a call. maybe if you catch him during dinner with a foreign ambassador he'll leave on the spot to take the job. #LivetoPunt

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'll go with whomever AD Dave wants. The guy came from Auburn and this is his career make or break moment. Let him make the call.

It will take a miracle to get a coaching staff here that can make it work.

The one thing I don't want to hear is that Dave's first choice wouldn't come because we couldn't come up with enough money. I certainly don't want to hear about admissions standards.

And unless the guy is Diaco level nuts, we have to give him 5 full years. He can't do worse than zero wins.

Reaction Score
There’s a good amount of people who seem to think that there is a coach out here who wants to take over as our HC . Currently I am not sure there is a lot of takers. Why might you ask? First, We can start with the current reputation of the program - we are a laughing stock at the moment and have been for sometime now. The losses to Holy Cross and UMass have made that even more well known. Second, we have no conference affiliation - no bragging rights to play for, little bowl eligibility, and no clear path to get picked up a P5. Third, We are located in a state and a region of the country that does not put out the best HS football products - yes you can point to the successful players in the past and currently that are from CT and the NE region - but it’s going to be tough to sell those kids to the program at it’s current state. Also, need to realize that you’ll more than likely never recruit all the top talent from in state to stay in state (kids we always want to leave to experience something different). Fourth - our state government and leaders and even are taxpayers are not fully committed to the program. that causes issues with financial resources which we all know are needed to sustain a successful football program.

candidates for this job are going to know of all of these things when considering the job. If we are looking for a coach that checks all the boxes then I’m sure other schools in D1 are also going to be looking for those things as well. The problem is do those schools have the same issues that we are facing?

AD DB has a tough job ahead of him. I want him to succeed more than anyone else. I was a student at the height of the program and it was amazing atmosphere. I hope we can get back to that level again and I’m sure we will but it’s a tough task. To say otherwise is just lying to yourself. This is the lowest of lows when it comes to D1 athletics.

Reaction Score
There’s a good amount of people who seem to think that there is a coach out here who wants to take over as our HC . Currently I am not sure there is a lot of takers. Why might you ask? First, We can start with the current reputation of the program - we are a laughing stock at the moment and have been for sometime now. The losses to Holy Cross and UMass have made that even more well known. Second, we have no conference affiliation - no bragging rights to play for, little bowl eligibility, and no clear path to get picked up a P5. Third, We are located in a state and a region of the country that does not put out the best HS football products - yes you can point to the successful players in the past and currently that are from CT and the NE region - but it’s going to be tough to sell those kids to the program at it’s current state. Also, need to realize that you’ll more than likely never recruit all the top talent from in state to stay in state (kids we always want to leave to experience something different). Fourth - our state government and leaders and even are taxpayers are not fully committed to the program. that causes issues with financial resources which we all know are needed to sustain a successful football program.

candidates for this job are going to know of all of these things when considering the job. If we are looking for a coach that checks all the boxes then I’m sure other schools in D1 are also going to be looking for those things as well. The problem is do those schools have the same issues that we are facing?

AD DB has a tough job ahead of him. I want him to succeed more than anyone else. I was a student at the height of the program and it was amazing atmosphere. I hope we can get back to that level again and I’m sure we will but it’s a tough task. To say otherwise is just lying to yourself. This is the lowest of lows when it comes to D1 athletics.
Coaches will know of all the negatives you listed but they will also know the positive this school has to offer which I won’t list because I’m expecting you to know them if you’re a true fan. There’s a reason why we’re all frustrated, we know what UConn has to offer and what we’ve accomplished in a short Span in D1 football. The hiring firm working with Dave has stated how good of a program UConn is, I think you’re mistaken. You’ll be surprised at how many coaches would love to coach for UConn. Sad how some of y’all don’t see it.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
To those people who think this is a destination that no coach would want, here are the facts:

1) state flagship university
2) good facilities and stadium
3) existing fan base
4) LITERALLY ANY WINNING AT ALL WOULD BE VIEWED AS A SUCCESSFUL COACHING JOB!!!

It's hard to see why a whole bunch of coaches wouldn't want to take that...

Reaction Score
To those people who think this is a destination that no coach would want, here are the facts:

1) state flagship university
2) good facilities and stadium
3) existing fan base
4) LITERALLY ANY WINNING AT ALL WOULD BE VIEWED AS A SUCCESSFUL COACHING JOB!!!

It's hard to see why a whole bunch of coaches wouldn't want to take that...
Good pay

Reaction Score
While I am not on the Spanos train at all, he knows more about football than any of us. So not rose colored just the man has two super bowl rings and has a clue and why he brought in Mazzone to help with the offense.
Yes and the defense has been crap. The water boy got a ring too, should we hire him too? So pass..

Reaction Score
I think Liam Coen is in the lead at the Quarter pole. MAC/JMU/CHL in sight. No reaching for newly FCS. Most important thing is ... Charisma. Needs to sell the Program in the State and in the dorms and to everyone. by authentic personality. Winning. And particularly eye on raising a dumpster dive up to Bowl level ...

Reaction Score
I think Liam Coen is in the lead at the Quarter pole. MAC/JMU/CHL in sight. No reaching for newly FCS. Most important thing is ... Charisma. Needs to sell the Program in the State and in the dorms and to everyone. by authentic personality. Winning. And particularly eye on raising a dumpster dive up to Bowl level ...
The charisma thing is silly. All that should matter is winning football games. Diaco has all the charisma in the world but he couldn't coach, Saban has no charisma. You sell the program by winning.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Very risky. He's never been a head coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom