Who's your list for next HC? | Page 38 | The Boneyard

Who's your list for next HC?

Reaction Score
I think with our offensive showing against Wyoming increased our chances at Moorhead. It shows we have play makers and they're all freshman and sophomores. Moorhead can come in here and succeed relatively quickly. He gets his pay day and moves on to a higher profile job and UConn gets momentum to attracted another successful young up and comer. Moorhead has to be the #1 target at this point.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
I think with our offensive showing against Wyoming increased our chances at Moorhead. It shows we have play makers and they're all freshman and sophomores. Moorhead can come in here and succeed relatively quickly. He gets his pay day and moves on to a higher profile job and UConn gets momentum to attracted another successful young up and comer. Moorhead has to be the #1 target at this point.
Moorehead is not coming to Uconn

Reaction Score
For a pay raise. We have nice facilities, good schedules and the CBS deal. What we haven't had is success and that could scare some guys off. The recruiting grounds stuff is overrated. Boise and Wyoming are not in hotbeds of talent either. The right head coach overcomes that like swatting a fly.
Not without UCONN lowering admissions standards. You couple bad recruiting area plus stringent admission requirements and it becomes problematic. Boise State has essentially no academic requirements - I admittedly do not know Wyoming’s situation so won’t comment.

Reaction Score
Quinn and Weist are basically out of coaching. Lembo is stumbling around. Herman is out ... but will return. And I would say Narduzzi is not a roaring success at Pitt. Clawson - isn't he the guy that is Williams educated (won't look it up) - is solid at a really really tough school; as was Grobe before him.

I point to Sam Pitman at Arkansas for those who want some young up-and-coming whip. OC to the airraid. Pitman after 30 years of bouncing at most of the SEC schools one at a time. And OLine = not coordinator. He was known as the BEST recruiter widely. Just a guy who could instantly connect. At 63 years old or something ... he has turned Arkansas into a top 10 Program with big wins this year. After they fired that HS coach into SMU star Chad Morris (who is back at coaching HS). 2 years - 2-10 and then fired at 2-8 - and NO conference wins in the SEC.

My point: keep an open mind. NO. No dismissal of the HC guy or the Yale or whatever. Turning around this Program at this point takes a guy who has charisma (YES ... that is the right word) and the bounceback nature.

Reaction Score
What does everybody think the timeline would be for our new HC to be announced? My hope is within the 1st week or 2 after the season ends... and I hope we don't really know anything until AFTER the season is over.. Speculation by us fans (and others in here) are fine, but I believe AD David Benedict has to get this thing rolling right away.. only thing is right now is not the right time, not this moment....

Reaction Score
Quinn and Weist are basically out of coaching. Lembo is stumbling around. Herman is out ... but will return. And I would say Narduzzi is not a roaring success at Pitt. Clawson - isn't he the guy that is Williams educated (won't look it up) - is solid at a really really tough school; as was Grobe before him.

I point to Sam Pitman at Arkansas for those who want some young up-and-coming whip. OC to the airraid. Pitman after 30 years of bouncing at most of the SEC schools one at a time. And OLine = not coordinator. He was known as the BEST recruiter widely. Just a guy who could instantly connect. At 63 years old or something ... he has turned Arkansas into a top 10 Program with big wins this year. After they fired that HS coach into SMU star Chad Morris (who is back at coaching HS). 2 years - 2-10 and then fired at 2-8 - and NO conference wins in the SEC.

My point: keep an open mind. NO. No dismissal of the HC guy or the Yale or whatever. Turning around this Program at this point takes a guy who has charisma (YES ... that is the right word) and the bounceback nature.
Yeah, i look at Pittman as the exception. I wouldn't hinge OUR hopes on finding an exception. Its funny cause i was looking him up Saturday asking where this guy came from.

Clawson is just that guy that turned programs around at every stop. I believe he was OC at Rice and they had a terrible OL so he redesigned HIS offense to get the ball out laterally to his WRs in like 2 seconds. I want the guy that the tailors his schemes to what he has on the roster. Not the guy that from day 1 wants to tell everyone "wait till i recruit my guys". The last 3 head coaches have talked about empty cupboards. FOH.

SteelCT

Student of the Game
Reaction Score
New to the football board, usually hang out on the basketball side. I didnt go through the 38 pages on this topic, but why wouldn’t we consider Spanos? We have seen improvement over the last few weeks, and his resume is pretty good despite no head coaching experience

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
New to the football board, usually hang out on the basketball side. I didnt go through the 38 pages on this topic, but why wouldn’t we consider Spanos? We have seen improvement over the last few weeks, and his resume is pretty good despite no head coaching experience
I would normally agree but these aren't normal times.
It's time for DB to earn his $ and bring in someone that will attract positive attention and be able to recruit on a national basis that an independent schedule allows. I feel for Spanos if he does keep the team on this improvement track and is not being looked at but he will find something in the NFL.
The team is young, has some athleticism and skill and needs a new transfusion to bring the best out of any existing players that decide to stay after this season.

Reaction Score

I think if we get at least three wins and the players want the Spanos/Mazzone combo back there will be a groundswell of support to give Spanos a modest three year "prove it" contract. Saturday's performance was a big step in this direction and I think Spanos/ Mazzone provide a very solid fall back position.

If the powers that be reject a 3 win Spanos/Mazzone combo outright they better get it right this time. No more "Tear Down" horse bleep.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Spanos/ Mazzone provide a very solid fall back position.
Like Spanos, Sam Pittman, the Arkansas Head Coach hired just last year was a lifelong Assistant Coach. Never was a head coach before. But he had leadership skills and a believability that the players embraced. Like most of these hires, the Arkansas AD took a chance on him--it was an educated crapshoot. If Benedict can find that kind of guy, youth be damned. Here's a short video on him as well as comments on him by his former boss Kirby Smart at UGA. Start at 7:15--11:00 for Kirby's thoughts on hiring head coaches from the assistant ranks. (I enjoyed the entire video). Kirby Smart is one impressive guy at the podium and his solid answers are a great example on how to handle the media.

Kirby Smart Gives Big Warning: This is Not the Same Arkansas

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Like Spanos, Sam Pittman, the Arkansas Head Coach hired just last year was a lifelong Assistant Coach. Never was a head coach before. But he had leadership skills and a believability that the players embraced. Like most of these hires, the Arkansas AD took a chance on him--it was an educated crapshoot. If Benedict can find that kind of guy, youth be damned. Here's a short video on him as well as comments on him by his former boss Kirby Smart at UGA. Start at 7:15--11:00 for Kirby's thoughts on hiring head coaches from the assistant ranks. (I enjoyed the entire video). Kirby Smart is one impressive guy at the podium and his solid answers are a great example on how to handle the media.

Kirby Smart Gives Big Warning: This is Not the Same Arkansas

I really think Benedict will go younger and head coaching experience..

Reaction Score
I really think Benedict will go younger and head coaching experience..
So do I, but while the group of UConn coaching applicants is essentially a large pile of manure, maybe, just maybe there's a pony hiding in there. Benedict just has to find him. If he were to pluck a Sam Pittman type the reaction around here for most will likely be less than excited. Not me. I'm putting all of my faith in DB, closing my eyes tightly, and jumping into the abyss.

Reaction Score
Another way to look at how much money we should spend on a head coach. What are the average and median salaries of the FBS teams that UConn is scheduling?

(Note: These are close approximations as not all salary data is public.)

2021: Average = $3.54 million. Median = $2.25 million

2022: Average = $2.73 million. Median = $2.5 million

If we are gong to schedule teams that, on average are paying their head coach $2.5 to $3.0 million per year, you had better target that as your salary range if you want to be a competitive football program LT. Granted, if you hire a young FCS HC, you should be able to pay less until they prove their success.

Or, group teams by Head Coaching salaries and decide which group do you want to compete with:

$3.5 to $4.0 million: Liberty, Syracuse, UCF, Miami, Colorado, Cal, Houston, Virginia Tech, Baylor, NC State, Maryland

$3.0 to $3.5 million: Georgia Tech, Washington St, BC, SMU, Duke, Navy, Air Force

$2.5 to 3.0 million: USF, Vandy, Temple, Arizona, Colorado St., Kansas, Wake Forest

$2.0 to $2.5 million: Tulane, Fresno St., Memphis, North Texas, Tulsa

$1.5 to $2.0 million: New Mexico, MTSU, Rice, Boise St., ECU, FAU, Coastal Carolina, UAB, FIU, Western Kentucky, Central Michigan, Toledo

$800k to $1.0 million: Hawaii, Buffalo, Georgia St., Marshall, Nevada, Troy, Arkansas St., UTEP, Ohio, Texas St.,

$600k to $800k: UMass, Miami (OH), Bowling Green, Old Dominion, NM St., Akron

Again, I come up with a target range of $2.5 to $3.0 million.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I was shocked to learn today that Spanos is only 50. I thought he was 10 years older than that given all his experience. If we win a few games and the players love him I see no reason not to give him a fair shake

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
For me, the money for the assistant coaches is as important or more important than the head coach. A big part of the head coach decision should be the staff that he will put in place. Bring in quality staff, and give them the autonomy to recruit their players and run their system. We just saw that a coach that puts weak "yes men" on his staff, and makes every decision does not work. Great leaders have great teams under them, and let's them be great!

Reaction Score
I was shocked to learn today that Spanos is only 50. I thought he was 10 years older than that given all his experience. If we win a few games and the players love him I see no reason not to give him a fair shake
At this point, he should at least get to interview for the position. He has a pretty good resume and the players seem to really respond to him. If he does get the opportunity, he needs overhaul the staff. Guifre needs to go, Moyseenko probably should be let go as well and we need to bring in an OC or promote Mazzone. Special teams should remain intact because special teams have easily been the best performing unit for this team so far.

Reaction Score
At this point, he should at least get to interview for the position. He has a pretty good resume and the players seem to really respond to him. If he does get the opportunity, he needs overhaul the staff. Guifre needs to go, Moyseenko probably should be let go as well and we need to bring in an OC or promote Mazzone. Special teams should remain intact because special teams have easily been the best performing unit for this team so far.
His interview is ongoing until the end of the year. I am sure he and DB talk at a minimum weekly.

Reaction Score
Admittedly, it is uncommon for an interim coach to have 10 games to establish his system and get the full buy in from the team. As fans we look at any positive steps and want to believe that the long-term answer has been found with a tweak on the internal staff and a few key assistant/coordinator hires. However, the best case scenario for UConn is that Spanos and the staff create enough of a buzz and positive vibe that the team garners a bit more interest from long-term coaching candidates. Spanos has to show that , while on life support, the team has a great chance for full recovery.

Benedict is a football guy and this hire is a stepping stone hire for him. He is young and likely has major football program AD aspirations. A patchwork hiring at UConn would be too risky for Benedict. Given the failure of Diaco, I expect Benedict go with a candidate with HC experience. Lets hope that Spanos gets a groundswell support based on positive results, but we need to be realistic about the big picture history and goals that Benedict has both for UConn and his personal aspirations

Reaction Score
His interview is ongoing until the end of the year. I am sure he and DB talk at a minimum weekly.
Good point. And Spanos and company have already been told they will not be returning after this season. I'm still holding out hope for Moorhead.

Reaction Score
Understanding that most every one on the yard would prefer a younger coach with HC experience, there are definitely some coordinators I could support.

Either Yurcich or Pry at Penn St
Tim Beck at NC St
Bill Bedenbaugh at OU

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
My only reservation with Spanos is the HC experience. There's more to it than running practice and game day. It's building his coaching staff, building the program, recruiting, and being an ambassador for the school. Maybe he'd be great...or maybe he's just real likeable and a good game day coach. I don't know. That's why my preference is an FCS coach who has succeeded at multiple places. I need someone who can do the entire job. As others have said, this is a critical hire and although there are no guarantees, I want to minimize as much of the unproven aspects as I can. Having never been fully responsible for a program is a big one for me.

Reaction Score
An additional reservation on Spanos is you have to consider how much of the team's performance for the rest of this year is rallying around the staff and players in the locker room given how the first weeks of the season played out. That's ultimately a temporary phenomenon and if hired as permanent HC would not exist.

DB must know he has to take a wholistic view of the candidate's resume. He can't make a hire as a knee-jerk reaction to a solid performance over the last games of the season.

This is before you consider whether Spanos is able to recruit as a HC.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Admittedly, it is uncommon for an interim coach to have 10 games to establish his system and get the full buy in from the team. As fans we look at any positive steps and want to believe that the long-term answer has been found with a tweak on the internal staff and a few key assistant/coordinator hires. However, the best case scenario for UConn is that Spanos and the staff create enough of a buzz and positive vibe that the team garners a bit more interest from long-term coaching candidates. Spanos has to show that , while on life support, the team has a great chance for full recovery.

Benedict is a football guy and this hire is a stepping stone hire for him. He is young and likely has major football program AD aspirations. A patchwork hiring at UConn would be too risky for Benedict. Given the failure of Diaco, I expect Benedict go with a candidate with HC experience. Lets hope that Spanos gets a groundswell support based on positive results, but we need to be realistic about the big picture history and goals that Benedict has both for UConn and his personal aspirations

Spot on. It's unlikely he does that so well that he wins the job, but if he does....well that's a good problem to have. But there is no scenario where this team playing competent football is bad.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom