Who's your list for next HC? | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Who's your list for next HC?

Reaction Score
Good Call, I was going to bring his name up. Someone we learned about when we recruited QB Mike Beaudry. Someone like this could be our Lance Leipold. Buffalo found Leipold at the DIII level.

We need to search the lower levels for proven winners. Previous head coaching experience with success should be a must have.
Also doesn't always work out, Adam Dorrel was a three time D2 winner with northwest Missouri state before moving up to abelian christian and has been very average there.

Reaction Score
Also doesn't always work out, Adam Dorrel was a three time D2 winner with northwest Missouri state before moving up to abelian christian and has been very average there.

Nothing always works out. There are no guarantees anywhere, it's about trying to increase your odds of success. Most good coaches leave a track record of success as they climb the ladder.

It's a lot like picking stocks, if you have some tested and proven rules to abide by you increase your odds.

Jim Calhoun and Dan Hurley are both examples of finding the successful head coach at the lower level. In 2011 we could have used this rule to hire KC Keeler or Whipple but we chose instead to catch the falling knife.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe avoid someone getting fired. Instead, try to hire away someone who is promising.
Didn’t Moorhead get fired? Just curious. And I think the majority of boneyarders would like to see him get the job.

Reaction Score
Would like to see Joe Moorhead back here.
Tremendous coach, successful.
I read earlier posts that indicated he was not successful at Mississippi State. Beg to differ.

""Mississippi State (2018-19)
"Moorhead compiled a 14-12 record over his two seasons as head coach at Mississippi State. The Bulldogs went 2-0 against Ole Miss in the Egg Bowl and had a pair of ranked wins in the SEC West, which has supplied a team in the CFP Championship Game five straight years."

"Moorhead became just the second coach in Bulldog history to reach a bowl game in his first season, guiding State to its first Outback Bowl and the program’s second-highest finish ever in the College Football Playoff rankings at No. 18."

"Moorhead’s offense led the SEC and finished tied for fourth among Power 5 programs with 16 200-yard rushing performances over his two seasons at the helm. Three of Mississippi State’s eight games in school history with 600 or more yards of offense came under Moorhead."

Here at UCONN, since he left, we have hired coaches that struggle against FCS teams, can't make it the Toilet Bowl,;

God enuf is enuf
Just go get Joe.

See his complete resume following

Reaction Score
Didn’t Moorhead get fired? Just curious. And I think the majority of boneyarders would like to see him get the job.
They had a chance to get someone more exciting although not sure is better

Reaction Score
I would only hire an up and coming head coach with a excellent track record at every stop. Hiring the coach who Wake hired when we hired Diaco is not the track record we need. We need a coach who knows how to win and has a high winning percentage, period.

As others say, let ourselves become a stepping stone for the brightest minds. Maybe one of those bright minds will want to stay at UConn and make CT home.

Reaction Score
Whipple should be on DB's list somewhere. Maybe not our first, second or third choice but he has to on the list because who knows how many will turn us down.
He’s not going to be on the list. I think umass had to fire him. I’m not sure DB wants Umass castoffs

Reaction Score
Here you go. Here's a coach who has actually beat an FCS team this season and he did it with a DII team.

Pete Shinnick. Great bloodlines. His pop was an LB with the Colts and his last two coaching gigs he built programs from scratch. Just won the D2 championship in the program's fourth year of existence.

Pete Shinnick - Head Coach - Staff Directory - University of West Florida Athletics (goargos.com)
sure, why not. had a freshman QB throw for 4000 yards and 40 TDs. Kid is only a RS sophomore. Maybe he can bring him along.

Reaction Score
Definitely think this goes without saying, but I hope whoever it is can keep most of the 2022 class in tact and limit transfers. They’ve put together a decent class for 2022 so it would suck to see that fall apart, but obviously with a new coaching staff comes player turnover.
We actually have a good recruiting class so probably we try to keep that at all costs. First thing that I thought of.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
sure, why not. had a freshman QB throw for 4000 yards and 40 TDs. Kid is only a RS sophomore. Maybe he can bring him along.

Better chance of a UConn QB going to West Florida than Reed coming to UConn. Reed was originally a SIU recruit and is better than Beaufort who UConn took.

Reaction Score
Be realistic...

The Coastal guy is not coming to UConn. Period. He sees his next stop as P4/Big XII head coaching job. You don't go from one G5 job where you won 11 games and got your school ranked #14 in both polls to UConn and delay your next step while you try to rebuild a second program.

Similarly Moorhead makes more than a million this year as Oregon's coordinator. He sees his next move as getting back into a P4 head coaching job after doing a credible job both recruiting and winning in the SEC... he's not moving back down the ladder to move up.

UConn's reasonable candidates are P5 assistants (not coordinators, their next step is a G5 school they think they can win big at or a P4/Big XII head job), G5 coordinators (not head coaches, they're looking to step up to a P4/Big XII head job, not to a new rebuilding project at the same school level), or FCS head coaches without more prominent options (which takes the NDSU guy off the table as he's been holding out for the right job). Retreads currently out of work would be potentially reasonable (and could easily be interviewed/vetted now); but why would you do that? We've seen that play out in two of the last three failures.

Reaction Score
Be realistic...

The Coastal guy is not coming to UConn. Period. He sees his next stop as P4/Big XII head coaching job. You don't go from one G5 job where you won 11 games and got your school ranked #14 in both polls to UConn and delay your next step while you try to rebuild a second program.

Similarly Moorhead makes more than a million this year as Oregon's coordinator. He sees his next move as getting back into a P4 head coaching job after doing a credible job both recruiting and winning in the SEC... he's not moving back down the ladder to move up.

UConn's reasonable candidates are P5 assistants (not coordinators, their next step is a G5 school they think they can win big at or a P4/Big XII head job), G5 coordinators (not head coaches, they're looking to step up to a P4/Big XII head job, not to a new rebuilding project at the same school level), or FCS head coaches without more prominent options (which takes the NDSU guy off the table as he's been holding out for the right job). Retreads currently out of work would be potentially reasonable (and could easily be interviewed/vetted now); but why would you do that? We've seen that play out in two of the last three failures.
Be realistic...

You realize we have scheduling superior to G5 schools?

Reaction Score
a guy I really like is Jim Tomsula, the guy brings energy and has coached in the NFL, he is PERFECT for the job

Reaction Score
Here is the blurb from Vannini's article:

-> It's very early in the process and replacement candidates have yet to emerge, but potential names to watch could include Towson head coach Rob Ambrose, Arizona defensive coordinator Don Brown, former Temple and Miami head coach Al Golden, Holy Cross head coach Bob Chesney and former quarterback and current ESPN analyst Dan Orlovsky. <-
I liked what I saw on the UConn Blog. Particularly this: "One thing Dave Benedict should not do — and this is the only thing that he should ever listen to us about — is pick the cool kid." I assume this is directed at a possible Orlovsky candidacy. Someone who has never held a coaching job let alone run a program. Flame away Orlovsky fans, but we do not need beginners in this role.

Reaction Score
I liked what I saw on the UConn Blog. Particularly this: "One thing Dave Benedict should not do — and this is the only thing that he should ever listen to us about — is pick the cool kid." I assume this is directed at a possible Orlovsky candidacy. Someone who has never held a coaching job let alone run a program. Flame away Orlovsky fans, but we do not need beginners in this role.
Didn’t he call DB a putz or something?

Reaction Score
You realize we have scheduling superior to G5 schools?

Which means what to a prospective coach coming off an 11 win season? A harder road? If you have something going at your current G4 (or equivalent) stop, what about facing a tougher schedule with a group of players who have 6 wins in the last four plus seasons (three plus played) says, this is a good path for me to achieve the next step forward. The scheduling is a good thing for us fans, and for recruits who want to have the chance to play/make an impression on those upper end schools. It's a bigger challenge for coaches to overcome if they want to take that next step.

Coastal Carolina guy did not land job at UCF. He needs to spend a few more years somewhere before heading to SEC-type job. Why not Storrs if the money is OK?

You are (generally) not going to make a lateral step to a lessor situation even for more money and make your goals harder (or farther off) to achieve. UConn's candidates are going to be coaches at a level where a head coaching job (any head coaching job) is a clear step forward. If you are a successful G4 coach, UConn, at this moment in time, is not that clear step forward. It sucks, but it's also true... coaches who have reason to believe that they have a legitimate chance at a higher level (P4/Big XII, high-end G4) or a similar level job with things already rolling (i.e. replacing Chatwell at Coastal when he gets that next step) are not going to be lining up to grab the UConn job, at least not unless the money is absurd. Given the wide coverage of the athletic department's finances, we're not going to be overpaying.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom