Who's your list for next HC? | Page 59 | The Boneyard

Who's your list for next HC?

Reaction Score
Can do much better than Golden. His hiring would do nothing to excite the fan base and he has lost recruiting connections in the last 6 years in the NFL. Golden would be a disappointing hire
I agree. I worry about anyone coming back to college football from the NFL because of the lack those needed recruiting connections. I would much rather hire someone who has spent a large part of his time in the last 5 years developing those connections. Our program can't afford to hire new head coach who will need a few years before he starts to successfully find quality recruits that he can get to come to Uconn. Edsall is prime example of this problem.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Can do much better than Golden. His hiring would do nothing to excite the fan base and he has lost recruiting connections in the last 6 years in the NFL. Golden would be a disappointing hire
I agree. I worry about anyone coming back to college football from the NFL because of the lack those needed recruiting connections. I would much rather hire someone who has spent a large part of his time in the last 5 years developing those connections. Our program can't afford to hire new head coach who will need a few years before he starts to successfully find quality recruits that he can get to come to Uconn. Edsall is prime example of this problem.

I'm not thrilled about Golden and yes his time away from college is a red flag.

But.......if he can hire Coordinators, position coaches and a recruiting coordinator who are fresh, recruiting will be fine.

I've said before a substantial part of interview for me would he to have to prospective coach show who they'll have for a staff. It's not a one man show.

Reaction Score
What do you mean by hire accordingly? I agree we need to know we're a stepping stone job, but to me it doesn't impact who I hire. I want the best available coach who wants to be here. If they succeed and leave, that's just the life of UConn football. AD David Benedict just needs to keep a running list so he's always prepared for that eventuality.
I think you need to view it that if you select the right guy he will be there for 3-4 years max before moving to a bigger job. But you can’t hire worrying about that. You need to hire the guy who will do the job now and worry about what happens in 3-4 years in 3-4 years.

Reaction Score
I want the Texas Special Teams coach. But only if he brings the Pole Assassin and the Monkey. She has a great name for a linebacker coach. Not sure what job the monkey could do…

Reaction Score
I want the Texas Special Teams coach. But only if he brings the Pole Assassin and the Monkey. She has a great name for a linebacker coach. Not sure what job the monkey could do…
The monkey could work in guest relations.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I think you need to view it that if you select the right guy he will be there for 3-4 years max before moving to a bigger job. But you can’t hire worrying about that. You need to hire the guy who will do the job now and worry about what happens in 3-4 years in 3-4 years.
I agree with that, I just wasn't sure what DoctorWho meant. At this point I would kill for the right guy to rebuild us and leave in 3-4 years. It's been so long I'm starting to forget how to spell suckcess.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
She could work at The Electric Blue. Everybody wins.

Reaction Score
I agree with that, I just wasn't sure what DoctorWho meant. At this point I would kill for the right guy to rebuild us and leave in 3-4 years. It's been so long I'm starting to forget how to spell suckcess.
the reality is that there are probably 10-15 jobs at most where the successful head coach won’t leave if he is really successful. Do you think if the head coach at BC or Indiana or Utah or Mississippi State made one of those programs a top 4-5, he’d say no if Michigan or USC wanted him? No way. Or frankly even if a lesser name came calling with a bigger salary. Even the guys in the “permanent” jobs will consider going if the NFL calls. So really we aren’t that different from most places.

Reaction Score
the reality is that there are probably 10-15 jobs at most where the successful head coach won’t leave if he is really successful. Do you think if the head coach at BC or Indiana or Utah or Mississippi State made one of those programs a top 4-5, he’d say no if Michigan or USC wanted him? No way. Or frankly even if a lesser name came calling with a bigger salary. Even the guys in the “permanent” jobs will consider going if the NFL calls. So really we aren’t that different from most places.
Meh Kinda GIF by Cultura

It's a matter of degree, and there can be a huge difference in degree. For a school like, I dunno, Tennessee, there might be 30 to 40 jobs that could lure away the head coach. For us, right now and for the foreseeable future, there are hundreds of jobs that could lure away our next HC if successful.

Reaction Score
I agree. Golden has been away from the college game too long for my liking. Holtz on the other hand has 6 bowl victories in the last 8 years.

Golden has a lot more more in common with Edsall than Holtz does. Both fired form their last college job, both have defensive backgrounds and both coming from the NFL.

Heck Golden has a lot in common with PP.

I'm not sure there is one good way to pick our next coach, but I know what a bad way is, and it would be listing any similarity you can find to one of our failed coaches and then start disqualifying candidates because x or y or z.

You want someone who hasn't been hidden in the NFL for 6 years, fine. Perfectly rational. But that shouldn't be because that's what P did and he failed here. Because then we can just play seven degrees of Kevin Bacon and eliminate everyone.

Reaction Score
I said I think it would be awesome to put out a press release as team goes on field for second half against Houston and then an announce the HC as the Houston game ends and give the new HC the mic at the Rent when the clock hits 00:00.
Yes. Let's make senior day not about the seniors. After all, they barely won a game here so why do they deserve any consideration!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This thread is for those who take UConn sports seriously.

Reaction Score
This thread is for those who take UConn sports seriously.
A little levity in 59 pages doesn’t hurt.

Trust me, I take it seriously. In fact sometimes too seriously. Go back and read my posts about why I am concerned about the direction that the University has set for the athletic program. I won’t rehash them here. I’ve also discussed in some detail on this very thread what I think we should be looking for in a new coach, who might or might not be a good fit and why I believe a guy with head coaching experience is preferable to a coordinator.

Reaction Score
Yes. Let's make senior day not about the seniors. After all, they barely won a game here so why do they deserve any consideration!
They aren’t naming the new coach at the game against Houston. Maybe they make the announcement before the season ends, though I doubt it unless it is a guy who is currently out of coaching. More likely sometime in early December after the end of the regular season but early enough so we can try to tie down recruits before signing day. December signing makes this more complicated though since there are say league title games, or if they take a guy from FCS, the playoffs. One thing to lose your coach before the bowl game. Another to lose him before the league championship I think.

Reaction Score
Al Golden would be AD malpractice. Not saying he’s a bad coach, but you need someone who has been in college football as it has evolved rapidly over the past several years. Last in college in 2015. Think about how much recruiting communications have changed since then.

Reaction Score
They aren’t naming the new coach at the game against Houston. Maybe they make the announcement before the season ends, though I doubt it unless it is a guy who is currently out of coaching. More likely sometime in early December after the end of the regular season but early enough so we can try to tie down recruits before signing day. December signing makes this more complicated though since there are say league title games, or if they take a guy from FCS, the playoffs. One thing to lose your coach before the bowl game. Another to lose him before the league championship I think.
I think we'll know who our guy is the week we play our last one under the current regime. and we definitely won't pull a classless disrespectful move by announcing it and making it a big deal on game day...

Reaction Score
Here is Point 1 about Al Golden. Let it marinate. His first Temple coaching staff had Matt Rhule and Ryan Day. He had the foresight and evaluation to bring nobody kid coaching to Temple; and that is not luck. Those guys are stars today. And he is still networked like that. On the other hand, He PUT George Deleone in as Offensive Coordinator. So I put him in the No box.

I am not wallowing in the he could be PP or this or that. He did an amazing job. We need the NEW Al Golden and correctly think that he needs to have had a Northeastern perspective (as Golden had been at Penn State and BC prior).

Reaction Score
Here is Point 1 about Al Golden. Let it marinate. His first Temple coaching staff had Matt Rhule and Ryan Day. He had the foresight and evaluation to bring nobody kid coaching to Temple; and that is not luck. Those guys are stars today. And he is still networked like that. On the other hand, He PUT George Deleone in as Offensive Coordinator. So I put him in the No box.

I am not wallowing in the he could be PP or this or that. He did an amazing job. We need the NEW Al Golden and correctly think that he needs to have had a Northeastern perspective (as Golden had been at Penn State and BC prior).
My thoughts exactly. We need the young Al Golden, whoever that may be. Golden was in his upper 30's when he had his successes at Temple. Since then he has gone through the ringer at Miami, but made millions. The Miami gig obviously left a bad taste of the college game as he has been content with an NFL assistant job. There have been many college opportunities in the last 6 years and he either had no interest or was not hired. I really don't want UConn to be his experimental venture back into the college scene. If he burned out once from a college HC job, will he burn out again? I want somebody with HC experience that will be genuinely excited about the opportunity.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Meh Kinda GIF by Cultura

It's a matter of degree, and there can be a huge difference in degree. For a school like, I dunno, Tennessee, there might be 30 to 40 jobs that could lure away the head coach. For us, right now and for the foreseeable future, there are hundreds of jobs that could lure away our next HC if successful.

that's the whole point. As you go further up the food chain there are fewer and fewer schools you jump ship to go to if you are doing well.

So, yes, a UConn HC has more opportunities for upward mobility than a Tennessee coach.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure there is one good way to pick our next coach, but I know what a bad way is, and it would be listing any similarity you can find to one of our failed coaches and then start disqualifying candidates because x or y or z.

You mean like everyone hating on Holtz just because he has a successful history with the school. Warped logic at its best.

I don't like Golden because he was dumb enough to name GDL his offensive coordinator in 2006 and then when 2006 went bad his solution was to also make GDL the offensive line coach in 2007. Unfreaking believable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Meh Kinda GIF by Cultura

If we pay north of $2 million doubt there are hundreds of jobs that would lure the coach away.

Reaction Score
You mean like everyone hating on Holtz just because he has a successful history with the school. Warped logic at its best.

I don't like Golden because he was dumb enough to name GDL his offensive coordinator in 2006 and then when 2006 went bad his solution was to also make GDL the offensive line coach in 2007. Unfreaking believable.

He did good enough to basically beat Randy,

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom