Who's the starter? Lou or Caroline? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who's the starter? Lou or Caroline?

Who's the starter?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
I think Lou is the better shooter at this point while Caroline is a bit bigger and better inside...........only Geno knows which one has the better mentality to come off the bench...........for now I'd leave well enough alone and start Lou......,.
I think we are all underestimating Caroline's shooting ability. So far, she has always been playing with injuries, or just recovering from them. I feel that a fully healthy Caroline becomes a star. Don't forget, Geno always remarks that it is Caroline who wins the teams' 3 point shooting contests, in practice. But I tend to agree, both she and Lou will share minutes. We need the depth.

sun

Reaction Score
I think we are all underestimating Caroline's shooting ability. So far, she has always been playing with injuries, or just recovering from them. I feel that a fully healthy Caroline becomes a star. Don't forget, Geno always remarks that it is Caroline who wins the teams' 3 point shooting contests, in practice. But I tend to agree, both she and Lou will share minutes. We need the depth.
If Lou or Nika get into early foul trouble, then either can be quickly replaced by Carol.
Or if UConn needs more scoring power.

Reaction Score
Lou you dont wanna hurt her confidence or the team chemistry right now until things start to go wrong I say keep it as it is

Reaction Score
“If it ain’t broke”….I love Caroline! She’s one of my favorites but in this case, I just don’t see the rationale in making that change. Caroline can, and perhaps should, get just as many minutes as Lou but things are going so well with her (Lou) as it is that I think it would be a mistake to make that sort of change barring some drop off on Lou’s part. I doubt Caroline will be bothered as long as she can continue playing well and contribute to the team’s success. She is all about the team and will follow Geno’s lead, I’m sure.

Reaction Score
She certainly has the shooting ability, but she hasn't shown it since early last season when she almost carried the team for a stretch.......I'm hopeful that she will recover that touch in the next few games as she rounds into shape..........until she does, I think UConn needs the more consistent firepower that Lou has provided so far with Caroline as the first shooter off the bench.....

Reaction Score
Lou started the season and is a 5th year player so unless there is a quantum leap or major decline having fresh legs and Caroline's 15 points with boards, steals and blocks coming off the bench is pretty difficult to defend. Caroline will be a consistent scorer from here on out. Just watch. The kid is a player and a half.

Reaction Score
It’s not just about perimeter shooting. In our run and gun style this year, Caroline is a better fit. She’s a better defender and simply quicker at turning and firing down the court after rebounds and steals. I like the sound of Caroline to Nika to Azzi on the break, sorta like Tinkers to Evers to Chance. Of course Aaliyah or Aubrey may sneak in at the tail end of a few of those breaks.

Reaction Score
Who starts, after Caroline is running on all cylinders, would depend on who the opponent is....Caroline is better around the post, while Lou has a better quick jump shot...CD might be better on defense though, and once again it depends on the opponent and also Lou has more experience.
Base on his comments during his coach’s show the other night, Geno doesn’t think particularly highly of either of them on the defensive end, so from that perspective it’s a draw.

mudblood

Incorrigible optimist
Reaction Score
Lou!

The real conundrum, however, is how to get Lou, Azzi, and Caroline in the game at the same time. I dream of the game where all three are shooting well at the same time. Perhaps bringing Caroline in as a PF IS the solution.
Well, you got your wish in the fourth quarter of the Iowa game, where the last 6 minutes went with Nika, Lou, Caroline, Azzi, and AE on the floor at the same time - and look at what happened!

BTW, for those who haven't watched (or don't remember details because of the adrenaline...): Iowa started the fourth on a 13-5 run and went up by 4 with 6 minutes left. And then UConn went on a 20-9 run to end it, in which:
  • 10 of our 20 points were scored by Caroline (5 by Lou, 3 by Azzi, 2 by AE)
  • those 10 points included the 3 to start the run and the 2 FTs to ice it with 30 seconds left
  • she also had a steal, an assist (to give us the lead back), and 2 critical rebounds in that span
That was as classic of a game takeover at the end as it gets.

So yes, I think Lou will start to keep things consistent and better for her game but Caroline (if healthy) will always be there at the end of close games. She just has that knack to exploit any weaknesses in the opponent at critical times.

Unless we'll be playing against a bunch of 6'5 I think we'll see a lot more of that 4+1 (with either Dorka or AE) to mess up the other team. Looks like soon we'll finally have a real 5+3 rotation (where all subs play significant minutes). Very exciting. Everybody stay healthy, please!!

Reaction Score
I think Lou is the better shooter at this point while Caroline is a bit bigger and better inside...........only Geno knows which one has the better mentality to come off the bench...........for now I'd leave well enough alone and start Lou......,.
Lou has earned the start, Caroline to get plenty of minutes to continue getting up to speed, both AVOIDING INJURY.

Reaction Score
Lou should start. Her jump shot is a dagger. Caroline is a great player off the bench. Instant offense.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The chemistry and the flow of the offense is good. No need to change the starting lineup. Lou continues to start.

As to minutes being played, can we stop with this nonsense. Geno knows what he's got and there are plenty of minutes to go around. Every game is going to offer different challenges on both sides of the ball. These challenges are the things that will govern who plays and when.

Reaction Score
I thought this was a strange question. While she can likely play the 1-4 positions, Caroline is primarily a wing, Lou a classic shooting guard. Having Lou and Azzi in the lineup at the same time makes it near impossible for defense to double on anyone in the UConn lineup. Unless the needs of a future game require Caroline's skill set, why would you mess around with a lineup that's working exceptionally well? Caroline will get her minutes.

Reaction Score
I voted Caroline just because she's going to be here for the next two years.

Reaction Score
Caroline is a leader. Other players can lean on her. She's who you call on for the clutch play at the end of games. I don't think it pays to underestimate her sort of talent.

Reaction Score
Love CD’s game….so Bill Bradley. However, why mess with success at this stage of the season? Think her overall game and toughness will be needed more down the road. Nothing wrong with being Frank Ramsay!
Do any of these people know who Frank Ramsey is???:D:D:D

Reaction Score
Lou!

The real conundrum, however, is how to get Lou, Azzi, and Caroline in the game at the same time. I dream of the game where all three are shooting well at the same time. Perhaps bringing Caroline in as a PF IS the solution.
She definitely has been working on her back to the basket post moves.

Reaction Score
Doesn't really matter who starts, they will both play similar minutes and whoever has the hotter hand or matches up better with the opponent will get the minutes in the 4th.
Quite right and when Geno needs shooters to deal with a defense (e.g. zone), he will have Azzi, Lou and Caroline on the floor at the same time just like he did in the 4th Q against Iowa.

Reaction Score
Lou now, Caroline almost inevitably later, especially come tournament time when I'd expect to see both on the court with Azzi against especially tough defensive teams..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom