Who's Number Two? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who's Number Two?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Dawn hasn't had top talent until this season. We play at UCONN and Duke and UT in Columbia so we will know a lot after the regular season. I know I'm biased, but I do think that Dawn is an excellent coach. Our previous coach, Susan Walvius, did a lot of great things with developing her players as members of the community, but she was not a great x's and o's coach.
I also believe she is a very good coach but I was responding a comment that she was the third best coach in WCBB. That's akin to ranking a player based on potential, not performance.

Reaction Score
ND Teams that have been there and done that in the last year are most dangerous. They believe they deserve to be there and they have a great coach in Muffet. Next year SC could be a real beast as well as Tenn.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm in the camp that wants to see some real accomplishments from a Dawn coached team.
I think it's a bit early for a coronation.
She's got the horses, let's see the roses;
(Just imagine how terrifying it must be for some coaches, finding themselves facing the sort of expectations that presently exist in SC). :)

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
My top 4 are UConn, South Carolina, Notre Dame and Tenn.

Reaction Score
I'm in the camp that wants to see some real accomplishments from a Dawn coached team.

Her team had a good enough regular season to earn a #1 seed. Pretty decent accomplishment I'd say.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
They have one national title... in the past four years they have been to four final fours, two of those years they were eliminated in the final four. Two of those years they lost in the championship game. The last two years against UCONN in the games that mattered it was not even close. While they beat up on Maryland... so did we... Muffett cannot get that last 40 minutes to go her way.

How many teams in history have been to four consecutive final fours? You've gotta win a number of "big" games to accomplish that feat.

And, no matter how you'd like to paint it, games against UConn in this century, whether exhibitions, in-season or in-tournament are BIG games for a team, with a red circle on the calendar, and Muffet has won a number of those...

At this point, I'd put ND at number two until either they stumble badly or SC East (#3) shows they've jelled. Too many candidates for #4.

Reaction Score
When the lights go on and they roll the ball onto the court, Who shows up this season outside of UCONN?.........On paper, USC and Tenn and then maybe ND by late Jan or early FEb........All the Texas schools are in the next 5 or the next 15 teams......Maybe, Penn State or Ohio State out of the BIG 10........

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
IMO, SC will be better team than ND. ND, like UCONN, lost two WNBA first round draft picks. SC has everyone back and is adding game-changing talent.

I think it's UCONN and SC and then everyone else.

Everyone back from losing to a callow UNC team in the Sweet 16 that Notre Dame smoked by 25 in conference play.

I don't know how good ND is going to be and I wouldn't say that they're the clear #2, but it's a huge leap of faith to give SC that status, too.

Reaction Score
South Carolina certainly has the potential to become #2 but for now Notre Dame is #2 until someone wrests it away from them.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
The Final Four air is so rarified, very very few teams get there. To dun a team despite these accomplishments is incorrect in my opinion regardless of whether or not they win the last game.
Back in the good ol' days, at least 6 or 7 teams made it to the final four... sometimes as many as 10... but those days are probably gone forever...teams today just ain't got what it takes... lately there's only been us and maybe one other team make it. What's this world common' to?

I couldn't help myself RL... your "The Final Four....very very few teams get there" line tickled me which in turn lit up my obtuse gene....

Boo

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
BooRadley said:
Back in the good ol' days, at least 6 or 7 teams made it to the final four... sometimes as many as 10... but those days are probably gone forever...teams today just ain't got what it takes... lately there's only been us and maybe one other team make it. What's this world common' to?

I couldn't help myself RL... your "The Final Four....very very few teams get there" line tickled me which in turn lit up my obtuse gene....

Boo

LOL!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Everyone back from losing to a callow UNC team in the Sweet 16 that Notre Dame smoked by 25 in conference play.

I don't know how good ND is going to be and I wouldn't say that they're the clear #2, but it's a huge leap of faith to give SC that status, too.

Baylor lost to TAMU then went 40-0 the next season. That's the beauty of a new season...last season is last season.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
You brought last season into it by talking about them returning everyone...

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
You brought last season into it by talking about them returning everyone...

Not sure that saying they have all their players back = talking about last season. I am talking about who will be playing, and we all know that one loss at the end of the year does not determine how well you will perform the following season. Baylor loses to TAMU, comes back the next season and goes undefeated. Based on your logic, they would not have won anything the next season.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Not sure that saying they have all their players back = talking about last season. I am talking about who will be playing, and we all know that one loss at the end of the year does not determine how well you will perform the following season. Baylor loses to TAMU, comes back the next season and goes undefeated. Based on your logic, they would not have won anything the next season.

Presumably the reason you are talking about who is playing is because of how they played before.

As for the rest of it, that's not what I am saying at all. SC could be great this season. I just think it is a little early to call them the obvious #2 because they return everyone.

ND will start 5 HS All-Americans, including 3 top-5 recruits. With that talent and Muffet's demonstrated coaching ability, I think it's foolish to say USC is the definite #2 before the first exhibition.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
name another team that has a better record than that ... lately

damn our HORSE is high
Okay DaddyChoc... Notre Dame has a single Championship in 2001. Tennessee won the titles in 07 and 08 if I am not mistaken with Candy Parker.
Baylor won it in 05 or 06 with Young and 12 with Griner. (which ever Maryland did not win).

So those both are better than Notre Dame's 1 title.

If you are referencing their Final Fours... they have been impressive. UCONN has been better. But the simple fact remains that they have not won the "big" game which I think was what was pointed out prior to my post in those four years.

Reaction Score
South Carolina should be number two, but if the polls are determined by last year's finish, it will be ND. I don't see ND replacing McBride and Achonwa this year. Next year, with more experience, they will be a tougher out.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Presumably the reason you are talking about who is playing is because of how they played before.

As for the rest of it, that's not what I am saying at all. SC could be great this season. I just think it is a little early to call them the obvious #2 because they return everyone.

ND will start 5 HS All-Americans, including 3 top-5 recruits. With that talent and Muffet's demonstrated coaching ability, I think it's foolish to say USC is the definite #2 before the first exhibition.

I talked about who will be playing because that is who will be playing. And I didn't say they are a definite number 2. I said that is my opinion.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
ncw_a_baylorloss_gb1_300.jpg

Sniff sniff. You hurt me feelings. LOL

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'd say UCONN and ND are again quite a step up from everyone else. SC really hasn't done anything yet to prove they belong with the elite.

That may come sooner than you think.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I knew that. Who else's opinion would it be?

Sorry, I work in a law office so arguing for the sake of it is a way of life.

Fwiw, I would vote SC #2 in a poll. I just think they are in the same tier as a few other schools--ND and TN at least--and we won't know who of those is best until January or so

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul