Who's Number Two? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who's Number Two?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
A couple of quick points -

- Gary Blair is 69 years old, has 29 years of experience, 672 wins, a sterling .71 winning percentage. That said, glorifying him as a coach against the litany of other fine coaches in the game today is overdoing it. He is a very good coach, but unlikely to be the 2nd or 3rd best out there. Sorry.

- I would not demean Geno by saying that Dawn has "put her ego in check to learn from the master" and will therefore be that much better. Sorry, if watching Geno coach was the difference maker, I would expect Hartford, Cinci and Temple (as well as any school with a former UConn Assistant) to be one of the top teams in the country. Every coach learns from other coaches they have contact with - and coaches also have resources whereby folks like Geno make tapes diagramming various techniques and plays that are available through the WBCA. Attending another coach's practice and being around them coaching will certainly have influence - but not even Geno can teach another coach to be him.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
A couple of quick points -

- Gary Blair is 69 years old, has 29 years of experience, 672 wins, a sterling .71 winning percentage. That said, glorifying him as a coach against the litany of other fine coaches in the game today is overdoing it. He is a very good coach, but unlikely to be the 2nd or 3rd best out there. Sorry.

- I would not demean Geno by saying that Dawn has "put her ego in check to learn from the master" and will therefore be that much better. Sorry, if watching Geno coach was the difference maker, I would expect Hartford, Cinci and Temple (as well as any school with a former UConn Assistant) to be one of the top teams in the country. Every coach learns from other coaches they have contact with - and coaches also have resources whereby folks like Geno make tapes diagramming various techniques and plays that are available through the WBCA. Attending another coach's practice and being around them coaching will certainly have influence - but not even Geno can teach another coach to be him.

Staley has a big ego?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Dawn Staley has yet to prove she is a better coach than Jeff Walz. He pulled off the upset of the century when his team beat Griner and Sims.

Maybe Staley can tell her team to bludgeon Stewart throughout the game in order to win. Is that really"coaching?"

Reaction Score
Maybe Staley can tell her team to bludgeon Stewart throughout the game in order to win. Is that really"coaching?"

ncw_a_baylorloss_gb1_300.jpg

Reaction Score
I'd say UCONN and ND are again quite a step up from everyone else. SC really hasn't done anything yet to prove they belong with the elite.

I think UConn is alone at the top because no one is going to see a defense like theirs. It could be by the end of the season (after a tough ACC) McGraw will have the team ready (freshmen contributing) but SC I think is ready to make step forward right from the start.

Reaction Score
SC's starting front line will be 6-4, 6-5, 6-5, with another highly rated 6-5 available off the bench. Huge. They have an incoming PG of outstanding potential, who may well be the test case of whether Dawn can teach what she knows, and their fifth starter is a senior wing that is universally viewed as a first-round draft pick.
Tiffany Mitchell will start...

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
UConn
Notre Dame
Tennessee
South Carolina
That's my top four.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Dawn Staley has yet to prove she is a better coach than Jeff Walz. He pulled off the upset of the century when his team beat Griner and Sims.
Dawn hasn't had top talent until this season. We play at UCONN and Duke and UT in Columbia so we will know a lot after the regular season. I know I'm biased, but I do think that Dawn is an excellent coach. Our previous coach, Susan Walvius, did a lot of great things with developing her players as members of the community, but she was not a great x's and o's coach.

Reaction Score
They have one national title... in the past four years they have been to four final fours, two of those years they were eliminated in the final four. Two of those years they lost in the championship game. The last two years against UCONN in the games that mattered it was not even close. While they beat up on Maryland... so did we... Muffett cannot get that last 40 minutes to go her way.

Reaction Score

Say what you will about Walz's tactics in that game, the fact is, it is considered to be one of the biggest upsets in NCAA history. I don't know if any other coach could have guided Louisville over Baylor in that game.
Give it up. History has already written that games' epitaph and no amount of whining can change it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
They have one national title... in the past four years they have been to four final fours, two of those years they were eliminated in the final four. Two of those years they lost in the championship game. The last two years against UCONN in the games that mattered it was not even close. While they beat up on Maryland... so did we... Muffett cannot get that last 40 minutes to go her way.
name another team that has a better record than that ... lately

damn our HORSE is high

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Say what you will about Walz's tactics in that game, the fact is it is considered to be one of the biggest upsets in NCAA history. I don't know if any other coach could have guided Louisville over Baylor in that game.
Give it up. History has already written that games' epitaph and no amount of whining can change it.
upload_2014-10-12_23-35-43.jpeg

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Say what you will about Walz's tactics in that game, the fact is it is considered to be one of the biggest upsets in NCAA history. I don't know if any other coach could have guided Louisville over Baylor in that game.

...written the epitaph and, no matter what you do, East, any legit watching of the game thoroughly debunks your "bludgeoning" theory no matter how often you trot it out.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
01Neaggrad02 said:

The Final Four air is so rarified, very very few teams get there. To dun a team despite these accomplishments is incorrect in my opinion regardless of whether or not they win the last game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom