Who's Next??? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who's Next???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skies17

Casual Fan
Reaction Score
PG and Center are a must for this class. I'm a little concerned that Ali's commitment might hurt our chances with top wing targets (Boatwright, Bacon, Malachi Richardson). Personally I believe we'd easily get both Ali and a wing on the court at the same time at the 2 and 3 (a la Calhoun at the 3 this year), but they may view playing time as unfavorable. Given how many bigs we're looking at, could we end up with two bigs and a point? And is Ollie looking to keep the 3-guard, stretch 4/wing, and center like this season or go back to the classic UConn 2-guard, wing, 2 big strategy?

Reaction Score
PG and Center are a must for this class. I'm a little concerned that Ali's commitment might hurt our chances with top wing targets (Boatwright, Bacon, Malachi Richardson). Personally I believe we'd easily get both Ali and a wing on the court at the same time at the 2 and 3 (a la Calhoun at the 3 this year), but they may view playing time as unfavorable. Given how many bigs we're looking at, could we end up with two bigs and a point? And is Ollie looking to keep the 3-guard, stretch 4/wing, and center like this season or go back to the classic UConn 2-guard, wing, 2 big strategy?

But, what makes you think Ali is less desirable than any of those guys?

Skies17

Casual Fan
Reaction Score
But, what makes you think Ali is less desirable than any of those guys?

I don't - in fact I prefer Ali over the Wings from what I've seen so far. I just don't see Boatwright, Bacon, or Richardson looking at the rotation of Cassell, Samuel, Calhoun, Hamilton, and now Ali and saying I could see myself getting decent minutes there, and elite guys like that won't want to ride bench. It seems more likely to me that a few bigs would see Facey, Nolan, Brimah, and Lubin and say I could come in and compete. Of course this is all just speculation about 2 years from now, but it seems like this is the UConn trend to recruiting ... we take guys who stay for 3-4 years (with a few exceptions) but aren't top guys out of HS. Then elite guys look at an established rotation and don't see themselves getting minutes. I love developing guys like Shabazz who end up killing it Junior and Senior years and definitely prefer it over becoming Kentucky/Duke/Arizona/UCLA/UNC/Kansas who's lineups are almost entirely Freshmen and Sophomore, but the UConn style to recruiting keeps us from reeling in the top talent IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc
Top Bottom