Who's next year's favorite for POY? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who's next year's favorite for POY?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Question to you on this--do you think UConn's roster is worse than Oregon's? Ionescu will certainly want to get them to the Final Four for the first time, but do you think KLS is more important to UConn's chances?
The Ducks certainly have more size, depth and on paper they should be a better team than the Huskies, but frankly I don’t view OR as a FF team.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Ionescu, Durr, KLS, McCowan are your 4 likely candidates IMO.

I don’t see ND having a strong candidate with likely 5 double figure scorers next year—all of their starters could be in the mix for AA honors.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I don't buy this idea that the winner is basically pre-determined at the beginning of the season. May have been the case this year with Wilson, but I don't think anybody picked Plum as the preseason favorite to win it in '17. There was some buzz coming off the team's first ever Final 4 and her chase of the scoring record, but she earned it by having the best season of any player in the country.

Reaction Score
THIS YEAR

USAToday

1. Aja, KLS, Durr, Ionescu, Vivians
  2. Gabby, Kalani, Arike, Kelsey, Gustafson
  3. McPhee, McCarty, Collier, Hines-Allen, Canada
AP
  1. Aja, KLS, Durr, Ionescu, Vivians
  2. Gabby, Kalani, Arike, Kelsey, Gustafson
  3. Collier, McCowan, Hines-Allen, Canada, Lexie
  4. Atkins (TX), Bell (MN), Brown (WKU), Butler (GM), Carleton (IaSt), Chennedy (TAMU), Cox (Bay), Cunningham (Mo), Flaherty (Mich), Goodwin (OklaSt), Gulich (OreSt), Hebard (Ore), Jensen (OklaSt), Jespersen (USF), McCarty (TX), McPhee (Stan), Moore (CMich), Muldow (WVa), Nurse, Nared (TN), Thomas (FlaSt), William (Miss St), Wright (Fla St)
WBCA
  1. Kalani, Durr, Ionescu, McCowan, Kelsey, Arike, KLS, Vivians, Gabby, Aja
  2. Anigwe (Cal), Atkins, Barta (Gonz), Bell, Billings, Blockton (Marq), Lexie, Buss (Ind), Canada, Chennedy, Charles (MD), Collier, Cox, Cunningham, Davis (Ford), Flaherty, Goodwin, Greenwell, Gulich, Gustafson, Harris (SC), Hebard, Hines-Allen, Jesperson, Laksa (USF), Mabrey (ND), Mavunga, McCarty, McPhee, Nared, Nurse, Robinson (GA), Russell (TN), Scaife, Shepard (ND), Azura, Thomas (FSU), Thorne (Mich), Wagner (MN), Wallace (Bay), William, Wright

NEXT YEAR

Preseason 1st team:
Ionescu (1/1/1), Ogunbowale (2/2/1), Durr (1/1/1), KLS (1/1/1), Brown (2/2/1)

2nd team:
Slocum, Collier (3/3/HM), Shephard (-/-/HM), Gustafson (2/2/HM), McCowan (-/3/1)

3rd team:
Chennedy (-/HM/HM), Mabrey (-/-/HM), Cunningham (-/HM/HM), Cox (-/HM/HM), K Charles (-/-/HM)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Durr is too hot and cold for me, POY needs to be more consistent. At her best she is outstanding but she had too many relatively ineffective games this season. Also no passing or rebounding from her. Many of those other players mentioned can match her scoring and do so many other things on the court that she doesn't do.
As we saw this year, in these selections, scoring trumps passing and defense.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't buy this idea that the winner is basically pre-determined at the beginning of the season. May have been the case this year with Wilson, but I don't think anybody picked Plum as the preseason favorite to win it in '17. There was some buzz coming off the team's first ever Final 4 and her chase of the scoring record, but she earned it by having the best season of any player in the country.
I don’t think the winner is pre-determined, but the media start each season by hyping a small number of players. Last year, it was primarily Wilson. One year, it was the 3 to see, Britney, Elena, and Skylar. I think that pre-season hype doesn’t guarantee anything, but it does influence it.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
As we saw this year, in these selections, scoring trumps passing and defense.

Durr's scoring numbers aren't overwhelming, that won't make her a runaway favorite. Just under 19 ppg this year. Good, but many players scored more. If someone else has similar scoring output (and there should be several of the other favorites that are close, unless Durr has an explosion as a Sr.) and has 2x or 3x the rebounds and assists as Durr, that can't be ignored.

Anyway Wilson didn't win it this year just based on scoring. 22.6 ppg, good for 7th overall, 3 points behind the national leader. She also had strong numbers in rebounding and blocked shots.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I don’t think the winner is pre-determined, but the media start each season by hyping a small number of players. Last year, it was primarily Wilson. One year, it was the 3 to see, Britney, Elena, and Skylar. I think that pre-season hype doesn’t guarantee anything, but it does influence it.

Yes, preseason hype certainly gives the candidate a head start.

Reaction Score
Lou. She will be asked to carry us offensively Lou can go for 30 every night.

With a repaired ankle she may be able to take over a Game not just as a deep three but take it to the hole and create.

A total complete player.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Lou. She will be asked to carry us offensively Lou can go for 30 every night.

With a repaired ankle she may be able to take over a Game not just as a deep three but take it to the hole and create.

A total complete player.
Are you suggesting that Lou is planning to have surgery on her ankle, or are you using "repaired" to simply mean "healthy?"

Reaction Score
Are you suggesting that Lou is planning to have surgery on her ankle, or are you using "repaired" to simply mean "healthy?"

I don't know. Geno said possible surgery. Maybe it's just rest now. Clearly I'm not her DR ha. Either way with her Ankle issues resolved she may be able to be more aggressive. Sky's the limit

Reaction Score
Here is what I want to see from Lou to believe she can / will win it, or at least believe she is the best player for myself.

#1 Post up game utilized more. She is 6'3" and have seen her in position in many games but did not get the ball, it seemed only Gabby could/would get it to her.

#2 This one is a must. Needs to be go to in critcal spots and end of games. Really force a double team or take the shot....

Maybe continue to improve rebounding, but everything else is there.
Agree completely!
I've been saying here for quite awhile, she has to develop the mindset to take over in close games in big spots. This past season she would almost disappear offensively for minutes at a time. Some of this is on her and maybe her selflessness and some on the system.
I think she will average over twenty maybe close to 25 points a game, have 7-10 assists per game and 6-8 rebounds a game maybe even a bit more.
If she does that it will come to her and Ionescu.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I would gladly take that "liability" on MY team. Is Mulkey looking to move her?

I was just about to say the same thing............20 points, 10 rebounds per game.............650% shooting percentage............UConn might take that

Reaction Score
KLS certainly has a clearer path without as many other UConn players to look at..........she's going to need to average over 20 points per game and get her rebounding and assist numbers up if she wants to compete with Ionescu, Durr, Arike etc.....................can I be a really wishful thinker and also nominate Christyn Williams............who's to say what kind of numbers she could put up given starter's minutes...............

Reaction Score
I don’t see Lou having as great of a season. Think about how many layups she got off steals from Gabby & Kia. Gabby getting her a ton of layups in the halfcourt offense as well. Teams will do what ND did in the 2nd half. Deny & let someone else beat them. I think the dark horse is Napheesa. She was our best player throughout the Postseason.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I believe that Arike has leapt up into co-favorite status on the strength of her two game-winning shots in the Final Four.

It may not be fair and it may be an overreaction, but game-winning shots in huge games do wonders for a player's rep.

Reaction Score
KLS, Ionescu and Arike will be heavy favorites and rightfully so. McCowan will get some good PR but most of the time the POY comes from a highly ranked program and I'm not sure we will be in the top 10 unless some new pieces come far in a short amount of time.

I watched Ionescu against ND and she's amazing. Oregon is clearly on the rise and I expect to see them at the FF next season if they are healthy.

Reaction Score
I believe that Arike has leapt up into co-favorite status on the strength of her two game-winning shots in the Final Four.

It may not be fair and it may be an overreaction, but game-winning shots in huge games do wonders for a player's rep.

She averaged 20.8 points and 5.4 rebounds playing 34 minutes per game this past season.........with Turner and others returning I expect her scoring numbers to drop next season........BTW she only shot .443 from two and .380 from three........

Reaction Score
NEXT YEAR

Preseason 1st team:
Ionescu (1/1/1), Ogunbowale (2/2/1), Durr (1/1/1), KLS (1/1/1), Brown (2/2/1)

2nd team:
Slocum, Collier (3/3/HM), Shephard (-/-/HM), Gustafson (2/2/HM), McCowan (-/3/1)

3rd team:
Chennedy (-/HM/HM), Mabrey (-/-/HM), Cunningham (-/HM/HM), Cox (-/HM/HM), K Charles (-/-/HM)

With that 2nd team very forward heavy, maybe Shephard and Mabrey flip, or Chennedy/Cunningham over Gustafson.

Reaction Score

She was the highest rated ND player this year (2nd team AA across the board), and she will certainly be considered so next year when they are likely the #1 team. Tough for best player on top team to not be 1st team.

Ionescu would need a monster year to beat out 4 seniors.

How do KLS, Durr, McCowan do with less supporting cast? That will determine POY.

Reaction Score
She was the highest rated ND player this year (2nd team AA across the board), and she will certainly be considered so next year when they are likely the #1 team. Tough for best player on top team to not be 1st team.

Ionescu would need a monster year to beat out 4 seniors.

How do KLS, Durr, McCowan do with less supporting cast? That will determine POY.

I expect KLS to be shooting like crazy from the three point line next year as UConn figures out how to make up about 45 points per game that will be missing.............I have to assume Geno will develop some new ways to get her open outside and that will take less of a toll on her body then banging inside............hopefully her assist numbers go up too as she will be passing out of double teams.........

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

Wait for it. When ESPN cranks up its hype machine, they will tell you who is favored. And yeah, I'm betting they select Sabrina I.

Reaction Score

Wait for it. When ESPN cranks up its hype machine, they will tell you who is favored. And yeah, I'm betting they select Sabrina I.

could be........perhaps Arike or Turner from ND..........she was always a media favorite and has the come back story too........

Reaction Score
I really hate this stuff as UCONN is such a team, they play the game the right way, they play the game the way Geno wants them to play. But I have never seen an All American be an All American on 1 leg, that my friends was some brave ish.

Oops not excluding Gabby but alas as I cry in my cereal, we say goodbye for now.

Last edited:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Based on Milford's assessment (I had to choose someone), here's a reasonable NPOY opening line:

Ionescu 2/1
Samuelson 5/2
McCowan 4/1
Durr 5/1
Brown 8/1
Ogunbowale 8/1
Other 20/1

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics