Who's next year's favorite for POY? | The Boneyard

Who's next year's favorite for POY?

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
This year, A'ja Wilson was the easy pre-season favorite, and she was never really threatened throughout the year.

But next year's race could be wide-open, with a variety of skill sets on display.

The underclassmen on the three AP All-Americans teams were:

First team:
Ionescu, Durr, KLS
Second team:
Kalani Brown, Arike, Gustafson
Third team:
McCowan, Collier

I have to think Ionescu has the edge because of her huge stats in pts/rebounds/assists, plus the fact that Oregon should be a top 5 team all next year. But I bet Durr averages the highest PPG of these players, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Brown and McCowan have absolutely monster seasons, though Miss ST is likely way down next year. And KLS will also certainly be a leading contended, particularly if UConn gets into the top 2.

Reaction Score
Agree... I could see any of the listed players, especially... perhaps in the following order (at least My Favorite Order ;)):
KLS
Collier
Durr
Brown
McCowan
Ionescu

I am NOT A FAN of the "pre-season" NPOY ... and for that matter Pre-Season AA designations. Why is this necessary??? The "pre-ordained" kind of thing just seems that it could give some voters an "easy way out"... for example.. a voter on either the east or west coast who rarely if ever sees a player on the opposite cost because of time differences and lack of coverage of a player in their area... they don't know how good player XYZ is because they don't see them, BUT, if "Everyone" says XYZ is the Pre-Season NPOY...well, just go with that when voting 5 months later. Let the players Play during the year be what's important WITHOUT any "pre-ordained/pre-conceived" ideas.

Reaction Score
Ionescu. Followed closely by KLS, McCowan, and Durr
Agree with your order. Ionescu will be the favorite going in. She's been in the spotlight all last season. If she has a season like last season, she'll win it.

Reaction Score
Here is what I want to see from Lou to believe she can / will win it, or at least believe she is the best player for myself.

#1 Post up game utilized more. She is 6'3" and have seen her in position in many games but did not get the ball, it seemed only Gabby could/would get it to her.

#2 This one is a must. Needs to be go to in critcal spots and end of games. Really force a double team or take the shot....

Maybe continue to improve rebounding, but everything else is there.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Durr is too hot and cold for me, POY needs to be more consistent. At her best she is outstanding but she had too many relatively ineffective games this season. Also no passing or rebounding from her. Many of those other players mentioned can match her scoring and do so many other things on the court that she doesn't do.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
OK, now here’s my serious answer. With UConn’s projected roster next season, if the Huskies get back to yet another FF, Lou will deserve NPOY, hands down.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Brown ended up being a liability for Baylor. She will struggle even more with the W pace of the game.

Reaction Score
Here is what I want to see from Lou to believe she can / will win it, or at least believe she is the best player for myself.

#1 Post up game utilized more. She is 6'3" and have seen her in position in many games but did not get the ball, it seemed only Gabby could/would get it to her.

#2 This one is a must. Needs to be go to in critcal spots and end of games. Really force a double team or take the shot....

Maybe continue to improve rebounding, but everything else is there.

Very perceptive response, thank you for seeing things about the team and game in general that very, very few on here understand.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
OK, now here’s my serious answer. With UConn’s projected roster next season, if the Huskies get back to yet another FF, Lou will deserve NPOY, hands down.
More than that, with the loss of 3 of our core 6, I expect Lou, Pheesa, AND Crystal to have significant jumps in scoring (PPG) next season. I also expect Meg to average double digits in scoring as well. Point being - NPOY is mostly about offensive numbers. Also, seeing as the NPOY is as much about who's anointed at the start of the season, UCONN fans should make a big push for Lou. She's a senior and will have that to her advantage as well...

I know there's a whole thread on it, but starters should be Crystal, Lou, Meg, Pheesa and then either Batouly, Christyn, or Olivia. Keep in mind that Stef started as a freshman out of necessity. That's still a pretty terrific core 7... Add in Coombs with her sophomore leap and woohoo!

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Brown ended up being a liability for Baylor. She will struggle even more with the W pace of the game.
I would gladly take that "liability" on MY team. Is Mulkey looking to move her?

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score

Question to you on this--do you think UConn's roster is worse than Oregon's? Ionescu will certainly want to get them to the Final Four for the first time, but do you think KLS is more important to UConn's chances?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom