Who's gonna guard DeAndre Kane? | The Boneyard

Who's gonna guard DeAndre Kane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'd think it would be a rotation of Shabazz, T-Sam, and Kromah. I hope Kromah sticks with Kane the most as he is our best defender. Kane makes the ISU offense go, so locking him down is a high priority. Kromah's defensive intensity combined with his length advantage should be a good matchup. Kind of like putting him on Sean Kilpatrick, although Kane is better IMO.

Reaction Score
Kane will run through Shabazz like he's tissue paper. It's going to be mostly Kromah, with some Samuel (when he's in) and some Giff (when Kromah and Samuel are out).

The only time Shabazz may have to guard him is if ISU goes big with Edozie at the 5, Ejim/Hogue at the 3/4, Kane at the 2. Under those hopefully rare circumstances, it might not be a bad idea to let Bazz or Boat rest, so we don't have two smalls in the backcourt when they go big.

Reaction Score
I think we stick Shabazz and Boat on a couple of players who aren't strong in the post and are primarily shooters. I don't know ISU that well, but it would be foolish to have either of them on Kane, and they won't be on Ejim. Without Niang, they don't have anyone who operates in the post.

Reaction Score
I think we stick Shabazz and Boat on a couple of players who aren't strong in the post and are primarily shooters. I don't know ISU that well, but it would be foolish to have either of them on Kane, and they won't be on Ejim. Without Niang, they don't have anyone who operates in the post.

Our ISU friends have said that they'll probably go with Morris (6'1) and Long (6'3) in the backcourt along with Kane. Boat and Bazz should be able to handle them (or at least do no worse than usual).

Against UNC, in order to match their size, ISU went big, with Edozie at the 5 and Kane getting a lot of minutes at the 2. I don't think they'll do that against us.

Reaction Score
Probably the key to the game is containing Kane and getting him frustrated early. Even though he's older and more experienced he has a reputation of becoming unglued. I'm hoping that happens early.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Kane can't be guarded, at least not by a college player. This is why the NCAA issued us a waiver which would have allowed us to suit up LeBron James for this game, under the stipulation that LeBron would not take any shots. Initially LeBron did agree, as he is friendly with Kevin Ollie, but as the Heat are playing Detroit on Friday the conflict made this impossible. It wasn't that LeBron wouldn't miss the Heat game to help us out but rather that the NBA viewed that as offering far too much assistance to UConn and UConn alumni.

We are currently in discussion with the NCAA to get them to discount all points that Kane scores on Friday by 50% just to make the game somewhat competitive. Hoiberg already confessed that the Cyclones are unbeatable and the only reason they lost any games this year was because he did not want to embarrass Kentucky (which was quite gracious of him, imagine how much sillier that school would have looked for printing up 40-0 tee shirts before the season began if another school did actually end up undefeated).

I am holding out hope on the discounted point ruling, but I am also holding out hope that the tickets I have to the game (which I bought on EBay and are written in pencil, with the bar code in magic marker) will get me in the Garden. If the NCAA says "no, all of his points will count" then I will have to agree with Scote:

Doomed.............

Reaction Score
Kane can't be guarded, at least not by a college player. This is why the NCAA issued us a waiver which would have allowed us to suit up LeBron James for this game, under the stipulation that LeBron would not take any shots. Initially LeBron did agree, as he is friendly with Kevin Ollie, but as the Heat are playing Detroit on Friday the conflict made this impossible. It wasn't that LeBron wouldn't miss the Heat game to help us out but rather that the NBA viewed that as offering far too much assistance to UConn and UConn alumni.

We are currently in discussion with the NCAA to get them to discount all points that Kane scores on Friday by 50% just to make the game somewhat competitive. Hoiberg already confessed that the Cyclones are unbeatable and the only reason they lost any games this year was because he did not want to embarrass Kentucky (which was quite gracious of him, imagine how much sillier that school would have looked for printing up 40-0 tee shirts before the season began if another school did actually end up undefeated).

I am holding out hope on the discounted point ruling, but I am also holding out hope that the tickets I have to the game (which I bought on EBay and are written in pencil, with the bar code in magic marker) will get me in the Garden. If the NCAA says "no, all of his points will count" then I will have to agree with Scote:

Doomed...

Forget LeBruhn, gimme Ray Allen, Adrien, and/or Thabeet.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
No one can guard him- we are DOOMED!!!!!!!

I think that as an homage to the mojo this year, your need to insert one more letter into your screen name, like this

Scrot-e

It would make Testiculo very happy.

Either way though, clearly we are:

Doomed

Reaction Score
I never realized that these Kung guys were such good hoopsters.
They must start learning the game when they are young grasshoppers.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Deandre Kane is very similar to Kilpatrick, except Kane's a bit bigger and stronger with a better supporting cast. I expect T-Sam/Kromah/Niels on him most of the night.

There's no way Boat or Bazz can stay in front of him.

caw

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see who starts for both teams an how both coaches adjust.

Boat or Bazz will see time on Kane, maybe not a lot but it will happen. I don't see how Ollie can stop that. If ISU goes "big" who defends Boat and Bazz?

I guess it will start with:

Bazz - Morris
Boat - Thomas
Giffey - Kane
Daniels - Ejim
Nolan - Hogue

This is relatively decent matchups for UConn. It does allow ISU to invert the offense with Hogue but I'd rather Ejim and Hogue launching than Kane or Long.

If Edozie starts than:
Bazz - Kane
Boat - Morris
Giffey - Hogue
Daniels - Ejim
Nolan - Edozie

I guess Napier and Giffey could switch but Hogue would be a bad matchup also for Napier. The plus here is that Edozie isn't really an offensive threat. So it will be tempting to help in the post with Nolan and let Edozie open, if they pull him from the basket. If they don't then Nolan still gets to stay near the rim, though dump off passes are an issue.

Long would be the only other guy to worry about starting. I guess they could start him instead of Edozie and Thomas but I think they like his instant offense off the bench.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see who starts for both teams an how both coaches adjust.

Boat or Bazz will see time on Kane, maybe not a lot but it will happen. I don't see how Ollie can stop that. If ISU goes "big" who defends Boat and Bazz?

I guess it will start with:

Bazz - Morris
Boat - Thomas
Giffey - Kane
Daniels - Ejim
Nolan - Hogue

This is relatively decent matchups for UConn. It does allow ISU to invert the offense with Hogue but I'd rather Ejim and Hogue launching than Kane or Long.

If Edozie starts than:
Bazz - Kane
Boat - Morris
Giffey - Hogue
Daniels - Ejim
Nolan - Edozie

I guess Napier and Giffey could switch but Hogue would be a bad matchup also for Napier. The plus here is that Edozie isn't really an offensive threat. So it will be tempting to help in the post with Nolan and let Edozie open, if they pull him from the basket. If they don't then Nolan still gets to stay near the rim, though dump off passes are an issue.

Long would be the only other guy to worry about starting. I guess they could start him instead of Edozie and Thomas but I think they like his instant offense off the bench.
-----------------------------------------
I'm expecting starting lineups to look like this...

Long- Bazz
Morris- Boat
Kane- Kromah or Giffey
Ejim- Daniels
Hogue- Nolan or Brimah

caw

Reaction Score
-----------------------------------------
I'm expecting starting lineups to look like this...

Long- Bazz
Morris- Boat
Kane- Kromah or Giffey
Ejim- Daniels
Hogue- Nolan or Brimah

I'm not sure Hoiberg will be that accommodating. Starting Edozie forces a horrible mismatch on UConn at the guard position, with ISUs best player. Of course he may view the Hogue - Nolan mismatch as just as good. I think UConn sticks with its last 5 game starting unit.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Deandre Kane is very similar to Kilpatrick, except Kane's a bit bigger and stronger with a better supporting cast. I expect T-Sam/Kromah/Niels on him most of the night.

There's no way Boat or Bazz can stay in front of him.

And we don't want Bazz or Boat in foul trouble, either.

Reaction Score
Any shot we can pull Ricky Moore off the bench to throw an elephant in his head?

All joking aside, I hope having him as part of the coaching staff helps prep our guys for someone like Kane. Even if it's a stop late that we need to win the game when he's had a big game to that point, I hope he brings that to our side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom