Who's gonna get that 4th 1 seed? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who's gonna get that 4th 1 seed?

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Maryland showed itself a quality team by losing by only 6 to us (when we played well). With that and running the table, which is phenomenal to do without faltering, without real bad games, even with mediocre competition, they deserve a #1.

Reaction Score
I think that the committee will do anything it can to keep MD from getting a #1 seed. They really want to push the SOS issue. However, everyone else losing could thwart that. If USC wins out, beating MissSt in the process, it could get pretty ugly. Washington doing the same and taking out Stanford would seriously confound the situation. That might be the Lesser Huskies' Pipe Dream; two open spots, and they just won the Pac##; the committee would have a hard time not making a Left Coast team a top seed.

At this point I think it is ND's to lose, Maryland next, with Washington, USC, OSU, and Texas praying for conference tournament shenanigans.

Reaction Score
The committee may want to stress the SOS issue with MD, but if MD wins out, and win the B1G tournament, it's hard to see how a 1 loss team, and that loss being to presumably the overall #1 seed by single digets can be denied the 4th #1 seed... especially when there is no obvious other choice. I believe come tournament time they will be a force to be reckoned with.

Reaction Score
The committee may want to stress the SOS issue with MD, but if MD wins out, and win the B1G tournament, it's hard to see how a 1 loss team, and that loss being to presumably the overall #1 seed by single digets can be denied the 4th #1 seed... especially when there is no obvious other choice. I believe come tournament time they will be a force to be reckoned with.

Reaction Score
Unless Maryland yips it, they would have the best record of any of the contenders other than UConn (at least for now) although Notre Dame can certainly make a case on strength of schedule if they take care of business in the ACC. That we are having this discussion this late in the season and with the results of games this weekend it certainly looks like there is parity in WCBB. The conference tournaments could be a blast this year.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I think if Maryland wins out and ND has another loss then Maryland will get the #1 Seed. If I'm going by the Eye Test and ND wins out, then I still award Maryland with the #1 Seed. IMO they're a better team then Notre Dame. But if ND wins out, committee will give the #1 seed to Notre Dame due to a stronger strength of schedule.

The Baylor vs Texas games will be interesting. If Baylor wins both games, they're the #1 seed. If they split, I don't know what the committee will do. If So Carolina beats Miss St in the SEC tournament, how do you not give them the #1 Seed over Miss St. Then does the committee reward Miss St with the #1 seed with two losses to So Carolina. Possibly.

IMO despite their SOS, Maryland should get a #1 Seed. As UConn fans, we should want that, because if they are a #2 or #3 Seed, they'll be in Bridgeport. I think right now Maryland is at worse a #2 seed if they remain undefeated.

Reaction Score
I'd love for Maryland to get a #1 seed, but based on the committee's previous top 16 reveals, it seems they're pretty adamant about punishing MD's strength of schedule. It seems more likely that it'll be Notre Dame (edited to add - especially if they win the ACC tournament).

It'll be interesting to see how Maryland performs against Ohio State (and in the B1G tournament). They had a hard time in Columbus last year. Hoping for a W tonight.

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I would think Maryland. But with the committee, who knows.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well, didn't Princeton enter the NCAA undefeated a few years ago, and they got a nine seed I believe - having only one defeat when you have played so few moderately good teams is not a big deal. They are 1-1 against top 20 teams and 0-1 against top 10 teams. And Tulane and FSU played UConn closer than Maryland and no one is suggest either of those teams get a #1 seed.

Reaction Score
Well, didn't Princeton enter the NCAA undefeated a few years ago, and they got a nine seed I believe - having only one defeat when you have played so few moderately good teams is not a big deal. They are 1-1 against top 20 teams and 0-1 against top 10 teams. And Tulane and FSU played UConn closer than Maryland and no one is suggest either of those teams get a #1 seed.
Well, Maryland has just made their choice as a #1 more challenging...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom