Who's gonna get that 4th 1 seed? | The Boneyard

Who's gonna get that 4th 1 seed?

Reaction Score
Baring major collapses UConn, Baylor, and Mississippi State seem locks.

South Carolina now has 2 losses to unranked teams and 4 overall. I can see them losing again.

It looked like Texas was going to make a run at a 1 seed than lost to Oklahoma and I gotta figure will lose again.

FSU just lost to Texas and UVA. Forget them.

If Notre Dame wins out do they get it? Can Maryland even with the weak SOS get it simply due to other teams faltering? Their only loss would be to us. Seems hard to deny them.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Big games coming up in the next couple of weeks that could shake things up:
Mississippi State vs. Tennessee--Tennessee has done a good job playing spoiler this year. Not sure it knocks Mississippi State from #1 seed territory, but that coupled with a loss in the SEC tournament could.

Notre Dame vs. Florida State-should be a huge game for ACC crown and #1 tournament seed. Notre Dame likely needs to win out to nab a 1 seed, and potentially 2 dates with Florida State could mean they get upset.

Baylor @ Texas-huge game tomorow. These two likely meet in the Big 12 Championship, too. If Texas wins game 2 and 3, no way Baylor gets a 1 IMO with 4 losses and few quality wins.

Maryland @ Ohio State-another big matchup of teams likely to meet in their conference tournament as well. Maryland needs to win out to nab a 1 seed. Ohio State beat them twice a year ago.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
On the ND-Syracuse halftime show they just said that Charlie Creme has dropped SC from the top line and put ND momentarily in the #4 spot. Assuming, of course, that ND can come back and win in Syracuse.

And Mississippi State is far from a lock. They are in a tight game at A&M right now. They also play at Kentucky and then against Tennessee again.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Stanford @ Oregon St. on Friday. Will probably decide the Pac 12 regular season champ. Not likely either team will slide up to a #1 seed but a big game to keep an eye on.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame if they win out would be tough to deny. They have far more opportunities to get good wins in their league. Just got a solid win at #18 Syracuse and will play FSU next week.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
At this point I think the only lock for a #1 is UConn. If Baylor loses to TX 2 more times, I don't see them as a #1 and MS St looked very beatable today vs TXA&M and may have to face SC again in the SEC tournament.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
ND.

It will be a shame if MD gets a #1 seed. As it stands right now.. their best wins are vs Louisville, Michigan, and the Arizona Sun

Reaction Score
ND.

It will be a shame if MD gets a #1 seed. As it stands right now.. their best wins are vs Louisville, Michigan, and the Arizona Sun
While I have a feeling Texas will do damage in NCAA's, 2nd might be as good for them as 1st. Vote here for Maryland. They have covered up their weaknesses with easier than most schedule.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
While I have a feeling Texas will do damage in NCAA's, 2nd might be as good for them as 1st. Vote here for Maryland. They have covered up their weaknesses with easier than most schedule.

Well Im pulling for the Buckeyes Monday night... though it will be tougher without Mavaunga

Reaction Score
At this point...
UCONN
Maryland if they win out the rest of the season until the NCAA... they should be a #1 even with a weak schedule
I would say the winner of the SEC... I think Mississippi State has a chance.. if they win out the regular season and their tourney... they deserve it.
The fourth 1 should be either Baylor or Notre Dame... Baylor would have the nod if they win out.... If Baylor loses again while ND wins out... then ND...

But I would love to see ND and SC in the same bracket.... as 1/2 or a 2/3 seed...

Reaction Score
On the ND-Syracuse halftime show they just said that Charlie Creme has dropped SC from the top line and put ND momentarily in the #4 spot. Assuming, of course, that ND can come back and win in Syracuse.

And Mississippi State is far from a lock. They are in a tight game at A&M right now. They also play at Kentucky and then against Tennessee again.

I think that for ND much like Ct--this is their time of the year--experience in playing in the NCAA's, good personnel playing good (the word is GOOD), if they win out--probably--I'd like to see it.
The cuse game was tough and close--good team that Cuse-- but ND won. Baby Mabrey controlled the first quarter with at least 13 points. Turner isn't Stewie or Azura--gave Muf good minutes. One other biger girl, can't think of her name, did well for ND. Day and Sikes earned their Scholarships.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Well Im pulling for the Buckeyes Monday night... though it will be tougher without Mavaunga

Is Mavunga definitely out for tomorrow's game?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Those weaknesses will be exposed in the NCAA Tournament when they play a really good team. Just like last season.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Honestly I think it will be a jumble right up till conference games are finished with the exception of UCONN.

Mississippi State still has to play the neurotic lady vols.

Stanford has to go to Oregon State

FSU has to play at ND and then ACC tourney.

Baylor and Texas could play again after tomorrow night!?!?

Still too many variables. I do think it won't be Maryland based on committee thus far.

Plebe

Reaction Score

So "foreseeable future" as of February 10 is definitely longer than 10 days?
McGuff said he was "optimistic" she'd return before "end of the season." Not so optimistic-sounding for the Maryland game.
What an underachieving group this Ohio State team has been.
And Maryland will run them out of the gym without Mavunga in there to guard Jones and get rebounds.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
What an underachieving group this Ohio State team has been.

I've really been surprised by McGuff's tenure at Ohio St. He was quite successful at Xavier. Then he quickly turned around UW after the disastrous Tia Jackson era and laid the groundwork for what Neighbors has done the last several years. Really thought he was a home run hire by Ohio St. They've been good, but given the collection of talent I thought they'd be much better.

Reaction Score
This weekend has demonstrated that even the best teams have off days and sometimes less talented squads play out of their minds and beyond their potential.

The number 1 seeds should be UConn, Mississippi State, Baylor, and Maryland. Maryland's schedule isn't the greatest but they are one of the 4 best teams in the country. All of these have some work left to do, but they are all battle tested and have proven their worth. The tournament should be a good one.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I have to go with ND - they have the second strongest RPI and with their remaining games and the conference tourney it will get stronger. That is always supposing they win out. With the weakness of the Big10 I just don't think Maryland is going to make it into the top 4, though I could see them getting a middle 2 seed. Still a lot of games to play and some shocking losses likely to occur.

Reaction Score
History is the barometer into the future. History shows us ND will be in the final four.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom