Who's #2 Now? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who's #2 Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think ND. I underestimated them a few years ago and vowed not to do it again. But in terms of substance, guard play, mental toughness, coaching, and a 114-2 record against the non-UConn world are the reasons. If Baylor were to beat ND, it would be because of Alexis Jones, who is now the AA player on Baylor. Maryland is a strong 4, but hasn't played a tough schedule to date.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
The cynic in me says make Maryland the #2 as there will be another #1 vs #2 game on December 29th, proving both teams don't lose before the teams meet. Besides that Maryland may be more talented then Baylor and deserve the ranking despite their weak schedule.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The cynic in me says make Maryland the #2 as there will be another #1 vs #2 game on December 29th, proving both teams don't lose before the teams meet. Besides that Maryland may be more talented then Baylor and deserve the ranking despite their weak schedule.
I like the #1 vs. #2 angle, though I think the Terps couldn't beat Baylor or ND.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I was the exact opposite. I knew Mulkey was going to try and beat us with post play which almost never works vs UConn. I was very surprised that Muffet tried that route. She of all coaches should know you beat UConn with guard play. Then in the presser she says we needed to get the ball the Turner more... no no no Muffet. Look at the games you have won. GUARD PLAY... GUARD PLAY... GUARD PLAY... They never learn.

Then again, to paraphrase Rick Pitino - "Skylar Diggins isn't walking through that door!" "Kayla McBride isn't walking through that door!" I don't think emphasizing guard play was the way forward because 2 of 3 starting guards (Mabrey and Arike) were playing below par last night.

I like the computer rankings, so I'll stick with them and go:

2. Baylor
3. ND

Maryland and South Carolina are 4 or 5 in whichever order you like. I'll give Maryland the benefit of the doubt since they're undefeated.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConn is number 1 no doubt. South Carolina ND MD and Baylor all look to be top 4. There are some other good teams out there too but as of right now I like these as the top teams. Win or lose to MD UConn is still number 1 because of who they have beaten and MD has played only LVille. SC has a bad loss, Baylor and ND lost to UConn. So I like UConn ND Baylor MD SC in that order. With that said ND and Baylor could flip flop between 2 and 3.

Reaction Score
Perhaps if MD played anyone other than the Little Sisters of Perpetual Responsibility, and before our brethern of the trollish persuasion get all moist and slathery, save it. Last night was proof of why you watch your sugar content and bulk up with high quality protein.

Understand, the turtles may kick our butt, but the psychological advantage that accrues to elite athletes for proving to themselves that they are enough is yuge. Read around to other fan sites. There is always a contingent that believes that 40 point wins early on builds 'confidence' . That is just so much horse puckey. The only way the human animal changes, is if they don't like how something is. And the only way that happens is to play someone who could kick your tuckus.

Reaction Score
My personal Top 6:
#1. UConn
#2. Baylor
#3. Notre Dame
#4. Florida State
#5. Maryland
#6. South Carolina

MD feels like a wildcard right now as to where they fit in. Yes, they're undefeated, but with the schedule they've played, they should be. Are they better than Notre Dame, Florida State, and Baylor? My gut says no. Had SC beaten Duke, I would have put SC above MD as well. I don't doubt MD by any means - in fact, quite the opposite. But as of right now, I don't think they've shown enough to warrant a place above the three aforementioned teams. With that being said... that's only my personal opinion. My prediction on the poll is that it's entirely possible, as MD is undefeated, for them to hop to #2 or #3. If FSU wins their game against Florida, I could see them jumping over SC to take #6. Then again, I suppose that also depends on what Miss St. does as well.

Reaction Score
Maryland's schedule so far has been a joke and they should be undefeated. My top 3 would be
1.Uconn
2. Baylor
3. Florida state
Agree, if FSU beats UoF today (looks they will).
Why no one is talking USF? They may not be the top 10 team but still pretty good (Laia Flores has 17 asts beating FIU 91-41).

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I would say Baylor just because they look better than ND and they have better wins. ND, even in its wins over lesser competition, hasn't been playing to its potential. Baylor has looked good in beating the likes of UCLA and DePaul.
I agree with Plebe,Baylor #2 due to strength of schedule and the fact they lost to UConn at UConn and have improved in the games since that lost. Notre Dame has mostly played at home. MD is 3 and SC 4.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Agree, if FSU beats UoF today (looks they will).
Why no one is talking USF? They may not be the top 10 team but still pretty good (Laia Flores has 17 asts beating FIU 91-41).
No one is talking USF due to the schedule they play. Look at the list and who really thinks USF could beat any of the top 11 teams the majority of the time. The soph Laksa is playing very well and leads them. Put Gabby or Kia on her and say goodnight.

Reaction Score
My top 4 is:

1. UCONN
2. Baylor (wont penalize them for not playing this week)
3. Maryland (kicking butt and taking names, regardless of who they played.
4. Notre Dame (ranking based on loss to UCONN and how Baylor and MD has looked).

Miss State, South Carolina and Florida State can all flip flop positions. I actually think FSU is a better team than Miss St right now.

Reaction Score
ND is still #2 in my mind and the last team I want to face in the final four - eventually they are going to break through when it really really matters most.
Could not agree more. Despite last night, IMHO they have the talent to be scary good when hitting on all cylinders.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Antonelli had The UCONN third before the game, so I supposed she'd say Maryland.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'll go again - except for Baylor and ND with their Uconn game, none of these teams in the discussion should have been really tested by any of their opponents.

ND was tested by GB. The #2 team shouldn't have that on their resume. They have a win over Washington at home and Washington may be a decent team, but ... 11 point win is OK. Otherwise they have played nobody. I don't see that except losing at home to Uconn as anything better than MD to be honest - Louisville/Washington, ASU/GB and a bunch of mid-majors who any of these teams should blow away.

Baylor - UCLA by 14 at home, Ohio State at home by 17, DePaul at home by 32 - the first two are what they should do the third is maybe a bit better than 'expected'. Other than that, they have played the usual dregs plus TN as their signature road win.

SC - losing to Duke is a non-starter - a Duke team that is now struggling to stay ahead of Elon tonight at home in the third Q. that loss moves them to the back of the chain.

MD - a load of crap with the single best win of this group - on the road at Louisville. Not impressive but in a pretty close comparison to the ND Green Bay game they played a decent ASU at home and won by 41 points, 10X the margin of victory ND had over GB at home.

Baylor and SC have played the most challenging schedules of this group but again for teams in a discussion for a #2 ranking, none of these games should have been hard and they weren't. All of these teams have scheduled Uconn which is great, but none of them have scheduled any one of the others and they all should have. None of them should be particularly challenged in conference, so they should step up and start scheduling not 1 but 2 or three of the top five teams. I am disgusted, they all use that P5 conference schedule is so HARD that they have to play cupcake city in their OOC. I call BS. Baylor has like one loss in Big 12 in the last three years and they haven't really been challenged. ND - they sometimes throw in a conference loss to add a little color, but really? SC - easy street in the SEC even if they can't beat Duke. MD in the BIG Meh? Don't think so.

To me the question between less than great resumes comes down to Baylor or MD, and I come down barely on the side of the undefeated team with the best road win. Give ND 4th and SC fifth (to teach them not to lose to Duke ever again! :eek:)

I like FSU but they just haven't played anyone besides us (best win so far tonight against FL), and neither has Miss State (Texas at home while needing OT to beat Iowa State )

Reaction Score
I like the computer rankings, so I'll stick with them and go:

2. Baylor
3. ND

Maryland and South Carolina are 4 or 5 in whichever order you like. I'll give Maryland the benefit of the doubt since they're undefeated.

I believe ND is superior to Baylor and, for whatever it is worth, should be #2.

Reaction Score
ND is still #2 in my mind and the last team I want to face in the final four - eventually they are going to break through when it really really matters most.
Agreed. ND unlikely to have its center shoot 5-6 airballs, make few 3's and get beaten down the court multiple times for open layups again. Would also be happy not to face them again in 2016/17.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
She will pick UConn as #1

It's a shame when the eye test has to interfere with people beliefs. Ultimately at some point later this season her faith will deny reality.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Maryland's schedule so far has been a joke and they should be undefeated. My top 3 would be
1.Uconn
2. Baylor
3. Florida state
Their schedule last season was also a joke but look how tough they played UCONN. It is said when a team plays UCONN more than once it will play a better game against them. However, Maryland has not played this UCONN team and their style of play. It may be like playing them for the first time. Maryland better be in good shape because the other teams that played UCONN seemed to tire by the fourth quarter, even though they were deeper.

Reaction Score
I think Baylor is the better team, but the voters always seem to be so big on ND. I go with the tendencies, there:
1. UConn
2. ND
3. Baylor
4. Maryland
5. FSU
6. South Carolina.​

In reality, I think it should be:
1. UConn
2. Maryland
3. Baylor
4. ND
5. South Carolina
6. FSU​

Reaction Score
Maryland defeated ASU in Las Vegas on a neutral court. The problem with Maryland is no one have seen them this season (except ESPN3 against Louisville) so it's hard to get a feel for them. Also, they get slammed for the poor OOC schedule and rightfully so. But in reality, Maryland is a really good basketball team. A Final 4 level team. SWK (26 against Louisville) and Brionna Jones (14-16 shooting last night) are playing like All Americans. Destiny Slocum is the best PG Maryland has had since Kristi Toliver. Then they have 6-7 other players who can play at a high level. Because of their schedule I would leave them at #4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom