Who's #2 Now? | The Boneyard

Who's #2 Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
This is a serious question? With 3 of the current top 4 playing at least 1 other game this week:

#1. UConn vs K State @ K State 12/11 (K State is also undefeated and this game has been sold out for a while)
PREDICTION- UConn wins by 21+
#2. Notre Dame vs #16 DePaul @ DePaul (DePaul could give the irish a real good game here)
PREDICTION- DePaul keeps it close for a bit but succumb to their turnovers. Irish by 14+
#3. Baylor NOT PLAYING
#4. Maryland vs St. Peters 12/8 & Maryland vs Loyola @ Loyola 12/12 (Nothing notable about either game)
PREDICTION- We all pray for St. Peters and Loyola. The Terps win both by an avg 70 pts.

In my opinion the rankings seem about right and shouldn't change come voting time. Baylor fans seem to think that with Notre Dame's loss the bears should now be number 2. I don't get that feeling at all but... what do you guys think?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I would say Baylor just because they look better than ND and they have better wins. ND, even in its wins over lesser competition, hasn't been playing to its potential. Baylor has looked good in beating the likes of UCLA and DePaul.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I hate the idea of having Baylor #2 just because they are basically done with any good games for the year and would likely stay there or move to 1 if UConn loses to Maryland. They will probably beat Texas 3 times and by the second time Texas likely won't even be in the top 25 anymore. Whereas ND still has a bunch of good games left. Meh, I don't get a vote anyway but it is certainly frustrating trying to figure it out.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Uconn did well to handle ND on the road and Baylor at home. ND-Baylor would be a fun matchup actually. Gun to my head, I go with Baylor on a neutral court because the Lady Bears *seem* to have size advantage.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This is a serious question? With 3 of the current top 4 playing at least 1 other game this week:

#1. UConn vs K State @ K State 12/11 (K State is also undefeated* and this game has been sold out for a while)
PREDICTION- UConn wins by 21+
#2. Notre Dame vs #16 DePaul @ DePaul (DePaul could give the irish a real good game here)
PREDICTION- DePaul keeps it close for a bit but succumb to their turnovers. Irish by 14+
#3. Baylor NOT PLAYING
#4. Maryland vs St. Peters 12/8 & Maryland vs Loyola @ Loyola 12/12 (Nothing notable about either game)
PREDICTION- We all pray for St. Peters and Loyola. The Terps win both by an avg 70 pts.

In my opinion the rankings seem about right and shouldn't change come voting time. Baylor fans seem to think that with Notre Dame's loss the bears should now be number 2. I don't get that feeling at all but... what do you guys think?

*Before we get all warm and fuzzy about K-State being undefeated, look at who they beat first. Were the teams they beat comparable to them in size, talent and experience or hapless cupcakes, looking for a payday? :rolleyes:

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
*Before we get all warm and fuzzy about K-State being undefeated, look at who they beat first. Were the teams they beat comparable to them in size, talent and experience or hapless cupcakes, looking for a payday? :rolleyes:
I like the K State match up. Love Mittie. I just like the idea that they are undefeated and playing at home in front of a sold out crowd. So I am hoping they put up a real fight. Obviously, with the good guys coming out on top anyway. It would be a real shame if they didn't show some pride and battle.

Reaction Score
Baylor is much better. I worried about that game but knew we would beat ND.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Baylor is much better. I worried about that game but knew we would beat ND.
I was the exact opposite. I knew Mulkey was going to try and beat us with post play which almost never works vs UConn. I was very surprised that Muffet tried that route. She of all coaches should know you beat UConn with guard play. Then in the presser she says we needed to get the ball the Turner more... no no no Muffet. Look at the games you have won. GUARD PLAY... GUARD PLAY... GUARD PLAY... They never learn.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I like the K State match up. Love Mittie. I just like the idea that they are undefeated and playing at home in front of a sold out crowd. So I am hoping they put up a real fight. Obviously, with the good guys coming out on top anyway. It would be a real shame if they didn't show some pride and battle.

K-State has to show up and play hard. If they don't (like the N.Y. Jets last week, they mailed it in, quit on their coach and embarrassed themselves), they will get scolded by their coach, the local media, and the fans. There's no shame in losing to superior talent. It something else to lie down, tank, or quit........"No mas" :eek:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I was the exact opposite. I knew Mulkey was going to try and beat us with post play which almost never works vs UConn. I was very surprised that Muffet tried that route. She of all coaches should know you beat UConn with guard play. Then in the presser she says we needed to get the ball the Turner more... no no no Muffet. Look at the games you have won. GUARD PLAY... GUARD PLAY... GUARD PLAY... They never learn.

Who was it that "torched" the Huskies in their last loss?????? Stanford's guards - Lily Thompson (24 pts) & Amber Orrange (17 pts). 41 of the team's 88 points between them. The other 3 starting forwards only had 17 points between them. Samuelson had 14 off the bench. Nuyoika is correct. It was Stanford's guards that stuck the proverbial "dagger" in UConn's heart that evening. The biggest baskets of the game was Orrange's go-ahead jumper with 1:38 left in overtime and the tying 3-pointer with 1.4 seconds remaining in regulation to send No. 6 Stanford to the 88-86 upset of No. 1 UConn, and end the Huskies' 47-game winning streak.

Reaction Score
Any chance MD leapfrogs their way to #2, given the Baylor / ND losses to UConn and MD still being undefeated? (Though I'm not sure their schedule and who those wins were over, aside from the Louisville game, will be in their favor.)

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Any chance MD leapfrogs their way to #2, given the Baylor / ND losses to UConn and MD still being undefeated? (Though I'm not sure their schedule and who those wins were over, aside from the Louisville game, will be in their favor.)
Maybe if Antonelli got all the votes. Honestly, I don't know. I guess it's possible. Anything is possible this year in WCBB right?

Reaction Score
Maryland, based on their roster and it's potential, could certainly be considered for the number 2 spot but with the exception of the Louisville game (another talented team that does not seem to have found their footing yet) they have not played opponents that have challenged them in the least. Until they can get past their habitual inconsistency (play great one game and look like they don't have a clue in the next - see last year) I would have a difficult time as a voter moving them above Baylor (and maybe Notre Dame as well).

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
1) Neither team should be penalized for scheduling, and losing to, UCONN

2) UConn beat both teams by identical scores. However..........................

It took a flagrant foul ultimately worth four points to round out UCONN's 11-point win at home v Baylor. It took Notre Dame's 5 points during garbage time (The last 55 seconds) to change a 16-point loss to an 11-pointer on their home court. In my opinion, Baylor kept is closer longer in a less hospitable environment.

3) It is hard to penalize Baylor in advance of a perceived easier conference schedule. If that were prevalent, boy would UCONN be in trouble.

I would put Baylor second right now. If Maryland wins against UCONN, and remains unbeaten, they are #1 until they lose.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think this is really tricky - the contenders are
Baylor best team played - L to Uconn, best wins: #9 UCLA, #12 OSU, #16 DePaul
ND best played - L to Uconn, best wins: #11 Washington, #16 DePaul (presumably - if they lose they drop below #4)
MD no losses, best wins: #8 Louisville, #28 ASU

Beyond those folks you have a few more undefeated teams lead by Miss State and a few 1/2 loss teams but none of them have any really significant wins and their losses are obviously worse than losing to Uconn.

ND and Baylor were both ranked above Uconn on the presumption that they could beat Uconn and both have proved at least early that they can't. Baylor has at least played three other borderline teenish teams (is UCLA really a top ten team?), ND will play its second ranked team just before the poll and presumably win. maryland is three weeks away from proving if it can win against Uconn and has played and won against the highest ranked opponent of the three on the road. And I think voters might revisit ND's struggle against GB in light of last night's struggle.

I think given a little desperation out there as contenders fall from the ranks, and given MD's one quality win, and no one else having proved anything more, that MD might leapfrog into the #2 followed by Baylor at 3 and ND at #4. If ND does a Uconn like number on DePaul this weekend, then they might redeem themselves enough to move up to #3 or even #2 - if it is a contested win I think they stay at #4.
I think I give
MD a 40% chance
Baylor a 35% chance
ND a 25% chance
of being ranked #2.

If MD reaches #2 and Uconn doesn't lose - Uconn could play three different #2 ranked teams in the space of six weeks! :)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Duh!! Baylor,,,

ND should drop at least 3 spots since that is what happened to Baylor after they lost AT UCONN. Doesn't matter to me if Maryland moves to 2 since UCONN will knock them off soon enough and Baylor would move up at that point.

Texas may be the best 2-4 team that we've seen in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom