Who Would You Pick First?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Presume all the players listed were eligible for the Draft the same year. Who would be your overall #1 Draft Pick? It was intentional on my part not to list any guards.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Stewart is great and will be a great pro, same for Moore, EDD, etc. BUT Griner is so unique and presents so many unique problems that you got to go with her. In every season for the next 10 or so, everyone else in the W is playing for second place in defensive player of the year, and her offense is really good as well.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
DT, and if I can't have D, then Maya.
That was my logic as well. Interesting idea for a poll and enjoyed thinking about it.

Reaction Score
One of the names hasn't even played her senior year of college while the others have pro experience. Ask me again in about three years.

Reaction Score
One of the names hasn't even played her senior year of college while the others have pro experience. Ask me again in about three years.
OK, in three years who would you pick? :):D

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Griner is impressive because at 6'8", no one has her size. Not even close. BUT she's not strong. IMHO players like Fowles or Charles or even Parker (who are all stronger and more athletic) should be able to keep her out of the lane and neutralize her to some extent. Not saying all the time, but it's not like she can score at will. If she could, she'd average 30 PPG in the WNBA.

I went with Stewie even tho she's young because no one has the guard skills to go with the inside and outside game that she has. Keep in mind I'm comparing all these players at their senior years of college. Parker had no 3 point shot, never mind a mid range game. EDD is not nearly as athletic as Stewie at the same time in their careers. Maya is just not as big. Tina also had no mid range shot. Stewie is the most versatile player (possibly ever) to come out of college.

Reaction Score
I went with Stewart. It was between her and Maya and the extra height and versatility Stewie has won out.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Assuming age is taken into account and I get more seasons of Stewart than the others, Stewart all the way.

If we're talking one season right now, I'm going with Maya.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Griner is impressive because at 6'8", no one has her size. Not even close. BUT she's not strong. IMHO players like Fowles or Charles or even Parker (who are all stronger and more athletic) should be able to keep her out of the lane and neutralize her to some extent. Not saying all the time, but it's not like she can score at will. If she could, she'd average 30 PPG in the WNBA.

I went with Stewie even tho she's young because no one has the guard skills to go with the inside and outside game that she has. Keep in mind I'm comparing all these players at their senior years of college. Parker had no 3 point shot, never mind a mid range game. EDD is not nearly as athletic as Stewie at the same time in their careers. Maya is just not as big. Tina also had no mid range shot. Stewie is the most versatile player (possibly ever) to come out of college.
It is the uniqueness of BG that I think is important - if you look at Parker, EDD, Breanna, Maya, etc. they are all great players and have interesting differences, but you can find a 'similar' player. BG with her defense changes every team that plays against her, and she still gets her blocks. I agree about the offensive end, though if Phoenix tries (which they often don't) she is very effective as a scorer.

I would also say that DT for a different reason is 'unique' and would be the only player that I would take over Griner. Her spirit and will to win added to a crazy skill set is unique.

Reaction Score
I would take Maya because of her work ethic, her track record of avoiding injury, and her winning record. She has made the final four in each of her college and WNBA seasons. Can anyone else come close to matching that? (not a rhetorical question)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm starting to think that the only Phoenix game some have watched was the game last night. Minnesota has 5 Olympic caliber players. Griner did not have her best game, but neither did Maya.

BG still has the most upside of all of these players and in 5 years will be unstoppable. Surprisingly, I voted for her.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I am curious to know what makes Stewart a better prospect than EDD. What do you think she does better?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

While I voted and picked Maya, if I were to project this vote back without my knowledge of Maya's pro career I would have picked Breanna. As to DT, I just assumed our pollster didn't want a walk away vote, so he left her out.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
EDD because she has all of the assets of the rest and none of their liabilities...

Reaction Score
I am curious to know what makes Stewart a better prospect than EDD. What do you think she does better?

1-- IMO Stewie can play the sf. EDD is too slow to ever play it and be top tier doing so. Overall the team would be too slow if she was a sf. So EDD is a 4/5 while BS is a 3/4. I think strength which BS will ultimately attain is easier than quickness in which EDD will not be able to attain. BS as a sf is just as much of a nightmare if not more that EDD as a pf.

1B-- EDD can play center while right now BS can't. All BS needs is strength and as she evolves in WNBA - she will be able to guard many centers her team wishes.

2-- Transition in both offense and defense. Many teams play with pace in WNBA. Stewie will be much better playing with pace. EDD's greatness lies in her efficiency and defensive size. But she can't hold a candle imo to BS's transition - especially if there are some of us who think BS will be able to play 3/4 and 5 though her teams won't use her much at 5. She will be great enough to do it.

3-- EDD's stamina because of Lyme. BS will overall have superior stamina imo.

4-- Because of BS's quickness - imo over her career she will be able to guard the top palyers on other teams more than EDD can.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
1-- IMO Stewie can play the sf. EDD is too slow to ever play it and be top tier doing so. Overall the team would be too slow if she was a sf. So EDD is a 4/5 while BS is a 3/4. I think strength which BS will ultimately attain is easier than quickness in which EDD will not be able to attain. BS as a sf is just as much of a nightmare if not more that EDD as a pf.

1B-- EDD can play center while right now BS can't. All BS needs is strength and as she evolves in WNBA - she will be able to guard many centers her team wishes.

2-- Transition in both offense and defense. Many teams play with pace in WNBA. Stewie will be much better playing with pace. EDD's greatness lies in her efficiency and defensive size. But she can't hold a candle imo to BS's transition - especially if there are some of us who think BS will be able to play 3/4 and 5 though her teams won't use her much at 5. She will be great enough to do it.

3-- EDD's stamina because of Lyme. BS will overall have superior stamina imo.

4-- Because of BS's quickness - imo over her career she will be able to guard the top palyers on other teams more than EDD can.

Great reply and insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown