Who Would You Pick First?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
1-- IMO Stewie can play the sf. EDD is too slow to ever play it and be top tier doing so. Overall the team would be too slow if she was a sf. So EDD is a 4/5 while BS is a 3/4. I think strength which BS will ultimately attain is easier than quickness in which EDD will not be able to attain. BS as a sf is just as much of a nightmare if not more that EDD as a pf.

1B-- EDD can play center while right now BS can't. All BS needs is strength and as she evolves in WNBA - she will be able to guard many centers her team wishes.

2-- Transition in both offense and defense. Many teams play with pace in WNBA. Stewie will be much better playing with pace. EDD's greatness lies in her efficiency and defensive size. But she can't hold a candle imo to BS's transition - especially if there are some of us who think BS will be able to play 3/4 and 5 though her teams won't use her much at 5. She will be great enough to do it.

3-- EDD's stamina because of Lyme. BS will overall have superior stamina imo.

4-- Because of BS's quickness - imo over her career she will be able to guard the top palyers on other teams more than EDD can.

1 - EDD just won the MVP and she started at SF. She probably played more PF than SF but she played both quite a bit. She almost never played C. I can recall a few times where they tried she and Breland and 4&5 and in those situations she may have guarded centers because she is a little taller, but offensively she was not playing as a center. That configurations stopped entirely once they got De Souza, mostly because it didn't work.

1B - EDD can play center but she's not very effective at it and it's certainly not the way to get the most out of her.

2 - Chicago had the 2nd highest pace in the league. They also had the best per-possession offensive and EDD won MVP and had the best PER in WNBA history this side of Lauren Jackson. She absolutely thrives in a team based on pace.

Subjectively, I think she may be the best transition player in the league because she's such a threat with her deep ball (I know the numbers were down this year but look at her career numbers). Pretty much any highlight reel of EDD's will feature a transition 3.

I agree with you on 3 and 4, but I strongly disagree on points 1 and 2.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Upon further review, my disagreement isn't really that strong, but my edit time expired before I could add some nuance to my post...

To speak to ETT's question, my short answers are defense and health. EDD's defense has improved but Stewart is way ahead of her at the comparable stage and is a better athlete. Also, Lyme is a very real concern with EDD and she also seems to pick up nagging, minor injuries more regularly than Stewart.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I wonder what the poll results would be if this was posted on a New Mexico State or Western Washington Fan Message Board.

Reaction Score
I wonder what the poll results would be if this was posted on a New Mexico State or Western Washington Fan Message Board.
I wonder if there IS a New Mexico State or Western Washington Fan Message Board.

Reaction Score
1 - EDD just won the MVP and she started at SF. She probably played more PF than SF but she played both quite a bit. She almost never played C. I can recall a few times where they tried she and Breland and 4&5 and in those situations she may have guarded centers because she is a little taller, but offensively she was not playing as a center. That configurations stopped entirely once they got De Souza, mostly because it didn't work.

1B - EDD can play center but she's not very effective at it and it's certainly not the way to get the most out of her.

2 - Chicago had the 2nd highest pace in the league. They also had the best per-possession offensive and EDD won MVP and had the best PER in WNBA history this side of Lauren Jackson. She absolutely thrives in a team based on pace.

Subjectively, I think she may be the best transition player in the league because she's such a threat with her deep ball (I know the numbers were down this year but look at her career numbers). Pretty much any highlight reel of EDD's will feature a transition 3.

Regarding EDD as sf. Who was the pf for Chicago? Tamara Young? And who would guard small forward Maya Moore? Would it be EDD?

Reaction Score
I am picking Britney. Her size, post footwork, and ability to play both ends of the floor, just makes her a great 1st pick.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Regarding EDD as sf. Who was the pf for Chicago? Tamara Young? And who would guard small forward Maya Moore? Would it be EDD?

Jessica Breland started at PF.

Would have to double check tape but I think Breland probably started out on Maya. Then Young probably took her when she came in.

Reaction Score
Jessica Breland started at PF.

Would have to double check tape but I think Breland probably started out on Maya. Then Young probably took her when she came in.

So who was EDD guarding? The power forward, right?

Isn't what is happening is that EDD is guarding the slower and/or less prolific player? And who can she guard more effectively? An inside player or outside player?

Thus I don't want to with semantics but - EDD is more effective guarding inside slower players, right?

And to add to that - would it be more effective for EDD to be playing with slower players like Breland or give her more of an athletic wing that can open the floor by sticking threes and also penetrating while this type of player guards more of the quicker small forwards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom