Who would u pick? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who would u pick?

Reaction Score
Assume the one palyer is 100% healthy. Then no doubt-- Azzi.

Azzi outplayed or at least matched Clark last year when she was at her best. And she tore apart Vic Schaefer's Defense.

We saw Iowa beat the massivley tall SC last year.
I just saw small Creighton give much bigger UCLA fits, and Creighton couldn't hold a candle to a heatlhy Azzi with Paige and the rest of this team.
We also saw Iowa get blown out 102-85 by LSU in the NCAA final. LSU was the best team last year, and they did not have any critical injuries like UConn did.

Reaction Score
No one has seen Jana play. A year ago you would all have screamed "ICE!" and look how that's working out.

Aubrey 100%. Boards, defense and a slashing disruptive offensive game to complement Paige. Azzi a close second, but with Paige and Ash the outside shooting is less of a need vs. the rebounding.

Reaction Score
I think it is definitely Aubrey. She is an experienced proven commodity in the front court and defensively. With Aubrey, Nika doesn't foul out because she could take on Fair for stretches. She puts fast break points on the board and rebounds.

Jana would still be another freshman and they are unpredictable in pressure moments. Although I would love the additional size but you said just one.

And for Azzi. She's great but Shade is holding her own and therefore another guard isn't the "real" need, it's front court. Doesn't take anything away from Azzi's talent. It's situational. I'd probably take a healthy Caroline over Azzi when looking at the current available players.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
how about amari?

there is real size for you. we don't know if jana would be better.

Reaction Score
It seems the choice between Azzi, Aubrey and Yana wit each choice coming with real good reasons (Azzi-shooting, Aubrey-Defense and Yana - size). I'll go with Aubrey because if we win against Duke, i don't see anyone on the current active roster that could handle Juju. Aubre should have been able to provide some good defense on her.

Reaction Score
Just wondering if the folks picking Jana Are the same folks who last year said “ if we only had Ice”.
For me it would be between Azzi and Aubrey. Aubrey would make more sense for front court help. But I just love thinking about Paige at the 1 with Azzi and Shade at the 2 and 3. Please don’t ask who plays the 4 here cause I don’t know

Reaction Score
Just wondering if the folks picking Jana Are the same folks who last year said “ if we only had Ice”.
For me it would be between Azzi and Aubrey. Aubrey would make more sense for front court help. But I just love thinking about Paige at the 1 with Azzi and Shade at the 2 and 3. Please don’t ask who plays the 4 here cause I don’t know
How about Nika at the 1, Azzi at the 2 & 3, and Paige at the 4 (plus obviously Aaliyah at the 5). Azzi before her injury last year was looking like a superstar.

Reaction Score
We also saw Iowa get blown out 102-85 by LSU in the NCAA final. LSU was the best team last year, and they did not have any critical injuries like UConn did.
Was LSU the best team? And getting to the Finals is a bad thing? And a lneup with Paige and Azzi do you believe is the same as last year's Iowa with Aaliyah on UCON as well?

Reaction Score
This is a great hypothetical. I very much look forward to Jana's delayed career at UConn, but you don't know what you have yet...and bigs often take longer to develop. As much as I would like another shooter in Azzi, it's Aubrey all day for me. The superior athleticism, rebounding, slashing, defending wings and more proven than anyone else on the bench. I will take the proven performance vs. the higher ceiling.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Should have done this as a poll - seems like people are fairly evenly split between Jana, Azzi, and Aubrey. If 100% healthy, I'd have to lean towards Azzi. She was playing at an AA caliber level in the first 6 or so games last season. Jana is too much an unknown, and Aubrey is best at defense - capable of great offensive games, but too inconsistent, and prone to disappear as well.

If 100% healthy Azzi only, I think you start her and bring KK off the bench. Our 4 guards could be solid to outstanding 3 point shooters, and even if our "bad matchup" is against a long athletic team, draining bombs from 3 would negate that disadvantage. Just my $.02...

Reaction Score
I could look at this three ways. Best player is Azzi, but not the biggest need. Aubrey is the player I think most likely to make a big difference, because she can play the 4 (and the 3) and is a proven excellent player, but in terms of who could (emphasis on could) make the biggest difference if she is what we hope, the answer is Jana.

If she looks like a future WNBA player for example, as someone who can play the 5 for 30 minutes/game she could make the biggest difference playing next to Aaliyah. Trouble is she is still an unknown. Might be a great answer to our shortage at C, but if she wound up at say Ice's level of production this year, then Aubrey would be the more significant addition.

Reaction Score
Aubrey, and it’s not close!
Now if you had said for a whole season, I would probably say, Jana. For just the tourney, it’s clearly Aubrey.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
No. I wasn't banging a drum for ice.

For that matter I put very little stock in any player who isn't on the team. I really don't care until they arrive on campus.

I watched Jana's enthusiasm on the bench during her first year. And was looking forward to seeing what would develop this year.

Leading up to this year I seem to remember Geno, (you might know him as a really great coach) was excited about what Jana was bringing to the program.

I watched every game she played in the tournament overseas and was watching when she went down.

Jana's team, among many shortcomings really lacked the ability to get her the ball in the post.

I don't think her team would have won a single game without her.

I think Jana was still the highest scoring player in the tournament. Playing fewer games.

Yes. I'm looking forward to seeing what Jana brings to our team this time next year.

My math probably isn't correct but by the time next season rolls around Jana will have been with the team 1 1/2 season and 2 summers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom