Who will take a charge on Aliyah Boston | The Boneyard

Who will take a charge on Aliyah Boston

Reaction Score
As she expands her game to encompass three-point shooting to full-court dribbling and going to the hoop. She is their best three-point shooter and now handles the ball full court. She is dangerous and is our biggest defensive challenge in the biggest game we have left. on our schedule. Last year we tried to double down after the ball would enter the paint. It was so effective she started to go out to the elbow and take shots and hit them. She is now SC's best 3 point threat. How would you defense her or how do you think Geno will defense her?

Reaction Score
Just read trash talking from an SC fan about how they beat us last year without their "Monster" recruiting class. Said so you won one game. How many times have you beaten UConn? 1-8. Said they had the better recruiting class this year and next year. Said it was easy to talk. We'll see on the court and over the next 4 years.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Aubrey is going to become the next AB coming off the bench and disrupting other team best offensive player.

Reaction Score
As she expands her game to encompass three-point shooting to full-court dribbling and going to the hoop. She is their best three-point shooter and now handles the ball full court. She is dangerous and is our biggest defensive challenge in the biggest game we have left. on our schedule. Last year we tried to double down after the ball would enter the paint. It was so effective she started to go out to the elbow and take shots and hit them. She is now SC's best 3 point threat. How would you defense her or how do you think Geno will defense her?
Although she had a rough game yesterday Zia is shooting 50% from the 3(18-36) while Aliyah is tied with Henderson at 40%. Just saying.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If Aliyah is taking multiple 3's, I say let her do it. Just to keep her of the boards. Inside, I imagine it is mostly the battle of the Aliyahs. :D
My coaches all told me, if you can’t stop an opposing player, don’t let them touch the ball. Put your best defender on her (whoever it is - starter or reserve), and see how it goes during the first quarter.

Assess that dynamic quarter by quarter. As long as the player assigned to her is doing the job, keep her in the game. When Boston comes out, she comes out. When Boston goes back in.......ditto.

Boston usually posts double digits in rebounds. You must put a priority on keeping her off the boards. Keep the ball out of her hands and your chances of winning will improve dramatically.

Reaction Score
Watched the SC and Kentucky game yesterday pretty closely and a lot of dribbling around and 1 on 1 basketball. The talent is certainly there on both sides but if help defense and a lot of switching takes place both teams can be had but again it's execution on the defensive end. Of not: defense whole-house is missing throughout the NCAA.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Watched the SC and Kentucky game yesterday pretty closely and a lot of dribbling around and 1 on 1 basketball. The talent is certainly there on both sides but if help defense and a lot of switching takes place both teams can be had but again it's execution on the defensive end. Of not: defense whole-house is missing throughout the NCAA.
You speak sooth. South Carolina had SIX assists in that game. Kentucky almost doubled them up with 10. You don't get that by playing team offense.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Maybe it's the lack of games but I can't remember when I have seen such weak defense on almost all teams I have watched this season. Most players I have watched have trouble keeping the player they are guarding in front of them. UConn used to be known for disrupting the other teams offense and stopping opposing players from getting to certain spots.

Reaction Score
I'd let her shoot three point shots all game long...........outside she's easy to guard, inside damn near impossible..........

Right now she rebounds and blocks shots as well as anyone. Her weakness seems to be fouls. And the NCSt post gave up points but outplayed Boston. At least having Edwards allows ONO to play more aggressively.
Geno has 2 choices, deny her the ball by fronting her in a double team or going uptempo. I'm hopeful of a UConn win. They have another month to practice and they are already way ahead of last season.

Reaction Score
UConn hasn't run many fast breaks this year. Not getting the ball out and up the court after a rebound fast enough.

Reaction Score
Sounds kinda like JJ (Jonquel Jones) of the CT Sun if she's taking 3's... both are from Jamaica too, IIRC.

Reaction Score
Well, so far no one has answered one of my questions on who going to take a charge on Boston. My bet is no one because it would be like getting run over by a freight train. Liv played her well last year and we do have Edwards to bang with her. Cooke is a good offensive player we need to control. Henderson in the second half just took the ball and dribbled past everybody constantly with no one stopping the ball. I don't think she will do that against the Huskies. Liv will get up the court quicker on offense and we may get some easy baskets that way. They are not as good as last year so I think we pay them back. We have Paige and they don't!!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConn will take charge of Boston not one player. Much like other bigs over the years UConn will deny her the ball and when she does get it double down on her. UConn wins this game with good ball handlers. UConn will force who ever is playing for point for SC to give up the ball and make someone else handle the ball. That should lead to turnovers. SC is not a great outside shooting team either. As then next couple of games should tell us alot about UConn and other top teams.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Sounds kinda like JJ (Jonquel Jones) of the CT Sun if she's taking 3's... both are from Jamaica too, IIRC.

I dont see her at all being like JJ. Boston had a nice board and dribbled the length of the court for a bucket but she's a true post and looked like a center taking it the length of the court. Jones was playing all over in college and handling the ball on the perimeter where Boston is a center with the ability to knock down open perimeter jumpers. In a half court setting she isn't going to dribble the ball at all on perimeter or take someone off the bounce. Great player but she's an absolute ideal center prototype and will thrive as long as she stays there.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Who is going to guard Henderson, effectively?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Give Aubrey a chance. Not nearly as big, but much more athletic and likely to bother Boston the whole time. When we get a rebound, full out sprint down the court. Boston will not be able to keep up.
I'd love to see Aubrey start the game guarding Boston. Boston MUST be kept in check. If allowed to run amuck, she will hurt you, especially if she's having a good day. 20/15 is not out of the question for her. Keep the ball out of her hands, and keep her off the boards. She's their bell cow.

Boston can be showed down, that's all UConn needs. Go right at her to begin the game. Get her in foul trouble. She is susceptible to picking up early fouls. Aubrey has the ability to get in her way, and disrupt her flow. That's all Geno needs her to do...................just get and stay in her way. IF ONO guards her, I'm not sure she would finish the quarter.

ONO has the bad habit of committing cheap fouls early in the game. Boston can guard ONO better than ONO can guard her. Have Aubrey front her and get weak side help when they try to lob it in over Aubrey. The weak side help MUST be there ON TIME.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would have our Aaliyah on their Aliyah and see how it goes. ;)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The first thing you do when facing a player of Boston's caliber is deny her the ball. Our guards have to make it extremely difficult for SC to make the entry pass to the post. I believe we have guards to accomplish this task. We need to harass their guards out front.

Second, front her in the post. Force her to try to push and shove her way to get open. Frustrate her with different defenders. Remember, Boston is prone to foul trouble.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom