Who will start in Paige's absence | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who will start in Paige's absence

Reaction Score
If Paige is medically cleared she plays, if she isn’t, she does not.
No way Jose’.
I don’t give a darn if she is “medically cleared” to play.
She should sit.
She was physically beaten up on Sunday.
Hit the deck at least half a dozen times.
Hacked, tripped, bulldozed.
Have a seat, take a breather, renew.
Support your team.
Don’t like it?
Geno should stick a sock in her mouth.
Still don’t like it?
Keep her in the locker room for treatment and an attitude adjustment.
Sorry to come down so hard.
Think of the team.
Think about the trophy.
Geez...

Reaction Score
Not to pick bones with you in particular, but Nika doesn't need to score much per se.
The other 4 starters and the whole rest of the team will pick up for Paige.
It's a team sport and the PG is primarily a passer and play maker.
IMO Evina does not dribble, secure the possession of, or handle the ball as well as Nika does.
They may end up switching on and off, or work in tandem, we'll see depending on which is on the court, the number of fouls and how it works on the defensive end.
My whole idea is how do we replace Paige's SCORING from the lineup. With Paige and Azzi out our outside shooting gets hurt. Evina plays point guard half the time in our offensive sets right now. Paige plays shooting guard and they intertwine during the course of the game. I guess will have to wait for Geno's choice.

sun

Reaction Score
My whole idea is how do we replace Paige's SCORING from the lineup. With Paige and Azzi out our outside shooting gets hurt. Evina plays point guard half the time in our offensive sets right now. Paige plays shooting guard and they intertwine during the course of the game. I guess will have to wait for Geno's choice.
Obviously Nika won't be playing every minute.
But when she's playing it will be at PG.
If you look at the level Nika was playing at last year and before she came to UConn, she was a super point guard, scorer and defender.
Evina can score without being the PG.
And it's unfair for some to say that Nika can't score.
She was busy feeding Paige and others when she played PG because that was expected of her.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No way Jose’.
I don’t give a darn if she is “medically cleared” to play.
She should sit.
She was physically beaten up on Sunday.
Hit the deck at least half a dozen times.
Hacked, tripped, bulldozed.
Have a seat, take a breather, renew.
Support your team.
Don’t like it?
Geno should stick a sock in her mouth.
Still don’t like it?
Keep her in the locker room for treatment and an attitude adjustment.
Sorry to come down so hard.
Think of the team.
Think about the trophy.
Geez...
Think about letting people with medical degrees make the medical decisions?

CL82

Reaction Score
And they have.
Yes, they have. And just to ease your fears that Geno would be somehow motivated to play her prematurely and risk further injury to her…

“We’ve had players get injured in the past and my philosophy here is, I’m not interested in how fast we can get someone back; I’m interested in what’s best for them long term,” Auriemma said. “Every decision made will prioritize what’s best for Paige and her career. Everyone involved with this program will be there to support Paige through her healing process.

PvP

Reaction Score
I don't know what the people in this thread are thinking but Caroline Ducharme is not now, nor has she ever been a PG. To think that suddenly she could step in, after finally having a breakthrough game as a wing, and show miraculous PG skills is just silly. Magical thinking is poor reasoning.
You need to read what was proposed. Caroline was not to be the PG. What was clearly suggested was that E shift to PG with Caroline replacing E as a shooting guard. I definitely prefer that plan to making Nika run the offense.

Reaction Score
I don't know what the people in this thread are thinking but Caroline Ducharme is not now, nor has she ever been a PG. To think that suddenly she could step in, after finally having a breakthrough game as a wing, and show miraculous PG skills is just silly. Magical thinking is poor reasoning.
Who said she would play PG? I read someone said she would start but EW would move to PG.

Reaction Score
Yes, they have. And just to ease your fears that Geno would be somehow motivated to play her prematurely and risk further injury to her…

“We’ve had players get injured in the past and my philosophy here is, I’m not interested in how fast we can get someone back; I’m interested in what’s best for them long term,” Auriemma said. “Every decision made will prioritize what’s best for Paige and her career. Everyone involved with this program will be there to support Paige through her healing process.
If you’ll catch my drift- I was suggesting as much or more time than the medical recommendations.
So I’m on the same page as Coach.

Reaction Score
Nika will start, but with her uncanny ability to consistently foul, CD will need to play freely and try not to overthink.

CL82

Reaction Score
If you’ll catch my drift- I was suggesting as much or more time than the medical recommendations.
So I’m on the same page as Coach.
Reread his quote and realize that he will listen to the doctors and make an informed decision, rather than randomly adding additional time for no reason.

CL82

Reaction Score
Nika will start, but with her uncanny ability to consistently foul, CD will need to play freely and try not to overthink.
I expect Evina will get a lot of time at point as well.

Reaction Score
Just a thought. Geno has run a relatively vanilla setup this year with one of the guards starting the offense from the top of the key (often 20+ feet from the key). Many other schools begin their rotation much closer to the basket, often with two bigs that pick for each other (i.e. high/low). Would not surprise me to see Geno modify the flow of the UConn set up to one that relys less on a traditional point guard. Also suspect he will go back to doubling the ball on the wing on defense, a system that worked well at the end of last year and maximized the value of Aubrey and Mir.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I think it will be Caroline because we need outside shooting and another scorer. Evina will play the point and Nika will be her backup. Until Azzi is ready to play Mir might get some more minutes. I think we will also look to our bigs to score and rebound for putbacks.
Starters:
PG - Evina
SG - Christyn
Wing - Caroline
F - Liv
F - Aaliyah

Subs:
SG/Wing - Mir
F - Dorka

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Starters:
PG - Evina
SG - Christyn
Wing - Caroline
F - Liv
F - Aaliyah

Subs:
SG/Wing - Mir
F - Dorka
Seeing it visually, I am SMH.

Reaction Score
I remember going to an SMU game in Dallas several years ago when UConn only had 6-7 healthy starters and I believe that included that year's walk on. Huskies won by 32.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom