Who will start in Paige's absence | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who will start in Paige's absence

Reaction Score
Most likely Nika...at the Point. This leaves the rest of the starters in their normal and most comfortable positions. I don't think Geno wants to put the kind of pressure on Caroline that starting would cause...at this point anyway. Can you imagine... a freshman who just had a "break out" game is then put into the starting lineup to replace the POY of all NCAA WBB. Nika was a starter for much of last year... and she would look at this as an opportunity to do something great to support her "Slime."

GT averages about 57 points per game this season, not including exhibition games. We will need to score 60+ to win...unless the defense can hold them below their average. But some how the teams need to find 20+ points to replace Paige's normal production. This will require Evina, Chrystin, Olivia, Aaliya and Dorka and Caroline to all contribute.

Reaction Score
The header of the thread specifically says "Who will start in Paige's absence", not "Who would enter the starting lineup".
You misunderstood the header then. Who will start in paige’s absence means starting lineup. different positions get subbed in all the time. For instance when Nika subs in for Aliyah, doesn’t mean Nika automatically became a forward. the lineup switches positions and they go small ball. that’s what people mean when they say caroline or dorka, not that they would play point but that they would start. OP already mentioned no one can replace paige.

Reaction Score
Before the 4th quarter of last game, Caroline was very tight and nervous. No way Geno ramps the pressure back up by having her start.
Put players in a position to succeed.

Nika is an experienced starter.

Reaction Score
Devil's advocate, giving her a start coming off of that great 4th quarter could keep Caroline's confidence sky high.

I think it will be Nika, but wouldn't shock me if it's Caroline and move Westbrook to the 1.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You misunderstood the header then. Who will start in paige’s absence means starting lineup. different positions get subbed in all the time. For instance when Nika subs in for Aliyah, doesn’t mean Nika automatically became a forward. the lineup switches positions and they go small ball. that’s what people mean when they say caroline or dorka, not that they would play point but that they would start. OP already mentioned no one can replace paige.
Then I apologize for my mistake.

Reaction Score
my guess is whoever gets the starting lineup ≠ who will get the most minutes. whoever is the most productive (both tangibles and intangibles) will get the most minutes.

Caroline/Nika
Whoever starts i think they will continuously be in rotation. Nika and caroline will continuously sub in/ out as we’ve seen they already have been. Whoever is most productive will have the most minutes in the end. Nika seems to be best fit to start since she is a PG and paige is a PG. (let’s not forget E can play point as well.) However if Nika is not producing she will get rotated out, just as she has been all season. Same with Caroline. She will also get her chance to show up (regardless if starting or not) but the rotation may be constant for all/any players not producing.

Dorka
If she is in the starting lineup then that will be a big lineup, literally and figuratively. I wouldn’t pick that as first or second scenario but still an option.

Evina
If a non-PG starts then obviously Evina would play the point. She has experience both on this team and in Tennessee as PG. Regardless of who starts, I believe Evina will get a lot of opportunity to run the point these next coming games.

As fans we have always had this inkling in the back of our head that we could win top-25 games with a second lineup. Now is the time for our team to show it! I know every team member has had their ups and downs producing (except paige really) but i truly believe they are all talented, smart, and willing to step up. let’s hope that materializes sooner rather than later!

Reaction Score
I'd start Williams/Ododa/Edwards/Dorka/Evina but I suspect Geno will start Nika in place of Paige and keep everything else the same. The most important thing is to win this game and a big lineup has a lot of advantages against some teams.

I would use this opportunity to give Dorka and CD 25 minutes each though, for once. They both are used to a lot of minutes. Give them a chance to see what they can do over a normal amount of PT.

Georgia Tech's top scorer is 6'5" and they get a lot of their scoring from players 6'4, 6'2" and 6'1". Stopping their bigs is key to beating them. Out rebounding them sure would help stop the put backs. I doubt if they are a running team from looking at their players. We should be able to get out on the break so rebound, rebound, rebound.

Reaction Score
The best crunch time lineup though is Ododa/Williams/Evina/Dorka/CD. This would be a great game to give CD 25 minutes and see what she can do. The same with Dorka.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Starting line up if Paige can't go:
Nika - PG
Christyn - SG
Evina -Wing
Olivia - post
Aaliyah - forward.

Subs:
Dorka - post/ forward
Caroline - guard spot - but not the PG.
Mir - maybe in a pinch

I don't see Aubrey playing yet. Probably not until January.

A shift in the guards when Caroline comes in - Evina can play the point and Caroline goes to the 3. Christyn stays at the 2.

Reaction Score
@JordyG i don’t see where anyone said Carline would be PG. can you quote where you seeing that? the thread simply asks who would enter the starting lineup. obviously if it’s caroline or dorka then someone else already in the starting lineup would be PG. Evina has experience running point.
Obvious?
Don’t think so.
Nika “ the Gnat” returns to a starting role ( for now)
Geno will ease Caroline into more responsibility (court time).
I believe she will be the first non big off the bench.

Reaction Score
I think it will be Caroline because we need outside shooting and another scorer. Evina will play the point and Nika will be her backup. Until Azzi is ready to play Mir might get some more minutes. I think we will also look to our bigs to score and rebound for putbacks.
I would be very surprised if Geno picked Caroline, who had a great quarter in the ND game but has otherwise been a nervous presence on the floor. Nika, despite her offensive struggles and constant fouls, is a more experienced and safer option. We’ll see. Caroline is talented. This would have been a great moment for Azzi.

Reaction Score
If Paige is good to go and plays and then gets injured Geno would be burned at the stake. I think Paige sits this one out over an abundance of caution. The other players can and should win this game, otherwise who the heck is UConn? Just Paige?
She should sit, regardless.
If winning a meaningless, non conference game is more important that a player’s health and overall player development, it’s time to start thinking about the next head coach.

Reaction Score
If Nika gets in foul trouble and EW needs a breather, then CW will have to run the point. She is UConn's next best option, right? Please don't suggest CD. I can't get the vision of CD dribbling the ball off her foot out of my mind...

Reaction Score
If Nika gets in foul trouble and EW needs a breather, then CW will have to run the point. She is UConn's next best option, right? Please don't suggest CD. I can't get the vision of CD dribbling the ball off her foot out of my mind...
I agree with you.
But did you see her driving quasi right handed hook shot for two on Sunday?
Caroline- PLEASE teach that to “someone else on our team”.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If Paige is good to go and plays and then gets injured Geno would be burned at the stake. I think Paige sits this one out over an abundance of caution. The other players can and should win this game, otherwise who the heck is UConn? Just Paige?
If Paige is medically cleared she plays, if she isn’t, she does not.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Like I and others have stated before, just because you don't start doesn't mean you won't get starters minutes. Nika is an established point guard, proved that she can run this team at that position, so she would naturally start. Playing time will be established by how each player is playing. If they are playing well, they will play more, if not, then their PT will be limited. It's important that the team starts out with players that have chemistry for stability, then substitutions will occur as the game progresses. Caroline will get more minutes if she plays like she did vs ND, but we won't know until the game is underway. We don't know how long Paige will be out, so we have to establish chemistry without her going forward if we want to keep our team near the top of the basketball world. We can't count on Azzi, Paige, or Aubrey as of now, so now its Nikas time to play the facilitator for our team. She has proven last year what she can do, so lets' support her and hope the Seniors will play like they did early in the season.

Reaction Score
Will be shocked if Paige is in the lineup. In the meantime I think you see Nika. When Fudd gets back options expand to Ervina and or CW in relief. Nika brings intensity/emotion that maybe something to play off short term. Options we have, but here's hoping I am shocked !

Reaction Score
The header of the thread specifically says "Who will start in Paige's absence", not "Who would enter the starting lineup".
Yes, that’s what the header says. However, no one said that Caroline would be the starting PG. The first post says she could start but Evina would be at PG. Maybe you misread the post ‍♂️

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
All I want to say is I hope Christyn, Evina and Liv take this opportunity to shine. For me, all 3 until know have had good careers with some really good periods but imo none is a lock to go high in the WNBA draft (although I am no expert in who else is entering etc) and maybe more important, stick in it. This window can really push their careers and confidence forward.

sun

Reaction Score
It's definitely weird that this happened while Azzi is also injured because that means she can't begin to learn to be a replacement PG.
So Nika is the logical choice.
Edwards should start to provide more offense over Dorka because the team will want to run their fast game.
Dorka will probably be the first sub off the bench, but Mir and CD will get more minutes too based on the need to score and rest players.
Mir has more experience than CD and could use a boost in PT.
GT is a physical team that Mir can battle and match up with considering her strengths.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1638888388308.jpeg

Her slime is there first.

Reaction Score
So Caroline Ducharme will start at PG? In place of Paige? Perhaps you may want to reconsider.,
My statement distinctly says Evina will run the point with Nika as her backup. Nika is not a scorer. We will need others to pick up the scoring with Paige out.

sun

Reaction Score
My statement distinctly says Evina will run the point with Nika as her backup. Nika is not a scorer. We will need others to pick up the scoring with Paige out.
Not to pick bones with you in particular, but Nika doesn't need to score much per se.
The other 4 starters and the whole rest of the team will pick up for Paige.
It's a team sport and the PG is primarily a passer and play maker.
IMO Evina does not dribble, secure the possession of, or handle the ball as well as Nika does.
They may end up switching on and off, or work in tandem, we'll see depending on which is on the court, the number of fouls and how it works on the defensive end.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom