Who will Make It Happen | The Boneyard

Who will Make It Happen

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We have alot of talent on this years team. That translates into alot of competition for starting roles as well as playtime. Competition is the best way to motivate those kids who want it. Who starts will depend on who has earned it. I expect alot of comradery and fierce competition to play. Hard work to get better. Competition is what makes great players better.

I would think without experience on opening day there may be some surprises. I will repeat what Ive said before. Azzi didnt come here to sit she will play. She is a generational player and she will have a huge impact on the game. 've been told that there are coaches who have told players when recruiting them that UConn will be the Paige and Azzi show and why would you want to go to UConn and sit the bench. Ive also heard that bigs who have looked at UConn were told UConn doesnt develop bigs and make them stars. I had to laugh at that when I think about Rebecca, Kara, Tina, Kiah Steph, Stewie and some others. BTW look at the Olympic Team and WNBA All Star team its full of UConn post players.

With all the talk about Azzi being better then Paige ( and can you imagine 2 Paiges on the floor at the same time ) I would say it wont be long before she starts and she could start in game one. She is that good. As far as the other positions Oliva Dorka and Amari will see alot of playtime. Given her lack of experience in college games Amari may see limited minutes in big games early on however when she gains her experience and confidence she is gonna get alot of minutes. Understand Amari is talented and can do alot for this team. From what I know expect a post player who plays with her back to the basket who will give you 10/8 12/10 a game.

Scoring on almost all great teams starts with good guard play and UConn has alot of really good guards. Paige and Azzi will draw alot of attention when on the floor thus opening up things for everybody else. With the addition of Caroline and Saylor things will really open up. Christyn and Evina have the experience and in big games that will be crucial. There ability to lead this young team is essential that they are on the floor. Geno has a lot of combinations he can use and he will depending on what opponents throw at him and with all the scorers UConn has they are going to score alot of points. With out a lock down defense it will be very difficult to slow UConn down this season and the next few seasons.

Geno has a roster that is second to none. This could be the most talented roster in UConn history. The only team that could stay with UConn is South Carolina. Some fans were upset we didnt get Boston and Cardoso. Yeah that wouldve been nice. However we've got Paige and Azzi. We cant get everybody. On most teams bigs dont lead the team in scoring, guards and outside shooters do and UConn has that in abundance. Its gonna be UConn and SC for the next few years as the teams to beat and those games will be monumental.

Let me end with this. UConn and SC have great classes coming in this year. Development and attitude will be key to building great defenses which will win the big games. There is parity in WCBB with many great players however UConn and SC are at the top and will be there for the next few years. So who will Make It Happen.....Paige and Azzi have a history of making things happen and I think thats the difference.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Tony
I think your analysis is spot on; huge talent for the foreseeable.

I worry a bit that Kim (like Geno) will struggle a bit juggling Olympic responsibiliies
with her day job...The season following Geno's first was not his finest hour.

The staff's problem this season will be finding playing opportunities for all those who are worthy.

But I agree; Azzi did not come here to sit...and her striking talent will soon separate her
from any pack.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
We have alot of talent on this years team. That translates into alot of competition for starting roles as well as playtime. Competition is the best way to motivate those kids who want it. Who starts will depend on who has earned it. I expect alot of comradery and fierce competition to play. Hard work to get better. Competition is what makes great players better.

I would think without experience on opening day there may be some surprises. I will repeat what Ive said before. Azzi didnt come here to sit she will play. She is a generational player and she will have a huge impact on the game. 've been told that there are coaches who have told players when recruiting them that UConn will be the Paige and Azzi show and why would you want to go to UConn and sit the bench. Ive also heard that bigs who have looked at UConn were told UConn doesnt develop bigs and make them stars. I had to laugh at that when I think about Rebecca, Kara, Tina, Kiah Steph, Stewie and some others. BTW look at the Olympic Team and WNBA All Star team its full of UConn post players.

With all the talk about Azzi being better then Paige ( and can you imagine 2 Paiges on the floor at the same time ) I would say it wont be long before she starts and she could start in game one. She is that good. As far as the other positions Oliva Dorka and Amari will see alot of playtime. Given her lack of experience in college games Amari may see limited minutes in big games early on however when she gains her experience and confidence she is gonna get alot of minutes. Understand Amari is talented and can do alot for this team. From what I know expect a post player who plays with her back to the basket who will give you 10/8 12/10 a game.

Scoring on almost all great teams starts with good guard play and UConn has alot of really good guards. Paige and Azzi will draw alot of attention when on the floor thus opening up things for everybody else. With the addition of Caroline and Saylor things will really open up. Christyn and Evina have the experience and in big games that will be crucial. There ability to lead this young team is essential that they are on the floor. Geno has a lot of combinations he can use and he will depending on what opponents throw at him and with all the scorers UConn has they are going to score alot of points. With out a lock down defense it will be very difficult to slow UConn down this season and the next few seasons.

Geno has a roster that is second to none. This could be the most talented roster in UConn history. The only team that could stay with UConn is South Carolina. Some fans were upset we didnt get Boston and Cardoso. Yeah that wouldve been nice. However we've got Paige and Azzi. We cant get everybody. On most teams bigs dont lead the team in scoring, guards and outside shooters do and UConn has that in abundance. Its gonna be UConn and SC for the next few years as the teams to beat and those games will be monumental.

Let me end with this. UConn and SC have great classes coming in this year. Development and attitude will be key to building great defenses which will win the big games. There is parity in WCBB with many great players however UConn and SC are at the top and will be there for the next few years. So who will Make It Happen.....Paige and Azzi have a history of making things happen and I think thats the difference.
I think Tara and her Stanford team would disagree as to the best teams being UConn and SC.

Reaction Score
@Tonyc is THE Huskie Homer, ever the optimist, always seeing the upside of the team members and the team as a whole. Optimists come in flavors: delusional (this is Seton Hall's year to win the Big East title), hopeful (DePaul can take down UConn if we run, run, run and make a bunch of 3s) and just stating the facts ma'am (UConn is loaded this year and for years to come). From where I stand, Tony can be as optimistic as he likes and not overstate it. This is his moment!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
@Tonyc is THE Huskie Homer, ever the optimist, always seeing the upside of the team members and the team as a whole. Optimists come in flavors: delusional (this is Seton Hall's year to win the Big East title), hopeful (DePaul can take down UConn if we run, run, run and make a bunch of 3s) and just stating the facts ma'am (UConn is loaded this year and for years to come). From where I stand, Tony can be as optimistic as he likes and not overstate it. This is his moment!

Tony is an optimist. He is also not wrong. Sometimes those things can coexist. This is one of those times.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There are a lot of really good WBB teams, but UConn, Stanford & SC appear to be in a class by themselves. I am a little concerned with Azzi’s nagging injuries. The Huskies will be a very deep and talented team, even without Azzi. But a healthy Azzi elevates UConn to another level.

CL82

Reaction Score
As long as Azzi is healthy, she starts. Paige, Aaliyah, Christyn and Dorka. Nika, Evina and Olivia off the bench.

I don’t see Dorka starting at the beginning of the year, but I do see it happening for at least one game before the end of the year.

Reaction Score
There is a zero % chance that to start the season Evina, Nika and Liv are all on the bench (if they are healthy)
My opinion is that Evina starts, and Liv Starts, and Dorka and Liv play a beautiful duet. Maybe
Azzi plays ahead of Nika ( it depends on so many things). I was impressed by the chemistry
of ONO with Paige in many of the Paige, etc, highlight films ,NICE!. Of course, Aaliyah
gets plenty of Playing Time. I cannot begin to estimate minutes for each player. I want
everybody to play and play well = winning team is a happy team, but a HAPPY TEAM
works well at developing into a winning team and eventually a DOMINENT TEAM, i.e. in March
and April.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
As long as Azzi is healthy, she starts. Paige, Aaliyah, Christyn and Dorka. Nika, Evina and Olivia off the bench.
I understand the logic of your position Chris...
But recalling Geno's penchant of loyalty to seniors...
(remember Doty starting even when walking was difficult).
I rather think we'll see Evina and Olivia (injuries and lack of effort aside)
at least for the top of games.

Reaction Score
That's cheapshot BS right there. ONO makes mistakes and lacks development in areas like everyone else on that team, but she's NEVER had a lack of effort in a game at UConn. And I'll bet the coaches would back that up.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Aye, matey, there's the rub!! ONO is a 3 year starter. Does Geno have the stones to bring her off the bench this year? (of course he does) It's my understanding that a coach, any coach ALWAYS starts his/her BEST 5, regardless of class or experience. Will ONO be one of his best 5 in early November? Who can say at this time. One thing I can say is "it's now or never"......she's a senior.

They were a different team when ONO was not in the game. When she had to sit with early foul trouble, they were weakened on both ends of the floor. Opponents that did not have a 6'5" post on the floor were now on a level playing field when she went out.

She's a force on defense, but she's been leaving too many points on the floor the last two years via missed bunnies and lay-ups. :confused: If Dorka out plays/out shines her in practice, does SHE start, and ONO comes in off the bench? I doubt DeBerry will challenger her for her starting spot his year, but she will push her. ONO will be challenged this year more than any other. I doubt ONO will take the NCAA's offer to play a 6th year.

Aaliyah Edwards (IMO) is poised to start. She's developed to the point (last year's stellar play and her experience this summer with the Canadian National Team) to be taken very seriously as a potential starter.

Azzi Fudd did not come here to sit!! If Geno started Paige as a true freshman, how can he not start Azzi, who some believe is as good or better than Paige?!? :confused:
I need to see Azzi defend against some elite D1 guards before I can jump on THAT bandwagon. We know she can score. Can she play defense? :eek:

Stay tuned.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
I know. It’s unheard of for Geno to start a freshman.
March Madness Clapping GIF by NCAA Championships

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Tony
I think your analysis is spot on; huge talent for the foreseeable.

I worry a bit that Kim (like Geno) will struggle a bit juggling Olympic responsibiliies
with her day job...The season following Geno's first was not his finest hour.

The staff's problem this season will be finding playing opportunities for all those who are worthy.

But I agree; Azzi did not come here to sit...and her striking talent will soon separate her
from any pack.
I believe it's Dawn and not Kim that is the Olympic coach this year.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
In all the excitement in the posts above and don't get me wrong...justifiable excitement...but in all that excitement about the abundance of talent that will pervade next year's team...have we forgotten about the very talented and gifted Aubrey Griffin?

Reaction Score
G Bueckers
G Fudd
G Williams
F Edwards
C ONO

Bench
G Muhl
G Westbrook
F Griffin
F Dorka
I think those are the main rotation pieces early. The others will get some run, but I think those are the main pieces.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
In all the excitement in the posts above and don't get me wrong...justifiable excitement...but in all that excitement about the abundance of talent that will pervade next year's team...have we forgotten about the very talented and gifted Aubrey Griffin?
No. We’re merely waiting for her to break out and blossom. Nothing and no one is holding her back. I didn’t see as much growth and development from her between freshman and sophomore year as I had hoped and expected. I’m tempering my expectations this summer until the games resume, and I see a noticeable improvement in her play. I’m a BIG Aubrey Griffin fan and supporter. I’m sitting on the front row of her cheering section waiting for a reason to stand up and cheer. :)

Reaction Score
I have my ideas who will be starting for UCONN WBB this coming season but there are so many factors that will be taken into consideration by the best coaching staff in WCBB!
Obviously practice performance will dominate the choices, also injuries or illnesses!
Remembering, as stated way above, CD2 was lame much of the end of her time at UCONN but Geno's loyalty to her and other seniors made a starter out of Carolyn Doty! She didn't average more than 10 minutes a game, but started all the games as I recall.
Some factors I consider for players to earn a starting position or play major minutes are:
Paige Bueckers - The winner of all major awards during her Freshman year will lead the team in minutes played!
Azzi Fudd - As mentioned many times previously she didn't come to UCONN to sit the bench, but she can average the 2nd most playing minutes coming off the bench! Her and Paige on the court together has everyone salivating at the possibilities!
Evina Westbrook - Another Senior who was one of the major reasons for the great development of the younger players and Geno will reward her for that!
Nika Muhl - Geno really likes Nika's moxy and toughness and he always rewards these type of players with game minutes!
Carolyn Williams - Another Senior that Geno will bend over backwards to reward her improvement mentally and physically from last season!
Olivia Nelson-Ododa - As a Senior she has that going for her but has not showed up mentally in some huge games that now she has to really step up to earn major minutes!
Aaliyah Edwards - Another young player that Geno thinks hung the moon. And is gathering big time experience with Canada's National Team!
Saylor Poffenbarger - It will be interesting to see how much her early appearance at UCONN aided her true Freshman year.
Mir McLean - An outstanding athlete that has to show she's also an outstanding BB player!
Dorka Juhasz - Everything screams big-time player and if she shows that ONO's starting could be in trouble!
Piath Gabriel - Could become very interesting if her skill level improves as much as a Sophomore as it did as a Freshman.
Caroline Ducharme - She comes in with an impressive resume from HS and USA teams. She'll factor in quickly at UCONN!
Amari DeBerry - Can wind up with important minutes if she lives up to her talent! Maybe a year away!
Aubrey Griffin - As Mir above, has to take her super athletic body into a much improved BB player! Develop some-kind of outside shot to go with that dominating defense!!

Remember everyone has potential, the difference is can they realize that potential?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No. We’re merely waiting for her to break out and blossom. Nothing and no one is holding her back. I didn’t see as much growth and development from her between freshman and sophomore year as I had hoped and expected. I’m tempering my expectations this summer until the games resume, and I see a noticeable improvement in her play. I’m a BIG Aubrey Griffin fan and supporter. I’m sitting on the front row of her cheering section waiting for a reason to stand up and cheer. :)
It can be easy to overlook Aubrey’s contribution to this team, since she doesn’t add a lot to the offense. Watch the 19-0 run against Baylor one more time. But don’t focus on the 19. Focus on the 0.

Aubrey shuts down the Wade Trophy winner, NaLyssa Smith, and alertly switches off Smith on 3 occasions to force turnovers: 2 charges by Carrington & 1 travel by Egbo (not shown in the highlight). Aubrey had possibly the best defensive sequence of any Husky for the entire season. Without her play, UConn doesn’t make it to their 13th straight FF.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
There are a lot of really good WBB teams, but UConn, Stanford & SC appear to be in a class by themselves. I am a little concerned with Azzi’s nagging injuries. The Huskies will be a very deep and talented team, even without Azzi. But a healthy Azzi elevates UConn to another level.
What nagging injuries Oldude? One small injury since her major one, but we all have seen that she can shoot in a boot.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
All the different combinations of players being presented makes me sit here and rub my palms together with glee and anticipation.

I do have to admit, some combinations causes me to really scratch my head. Kind of like oil and vinegar, but I guess even oil and vinegar is good on a salad

Any combinations of starters for the first game would not surprise me. Having said that I expect the same starting lineup as we had at the end of the year.

The player combination I'm most looking forward to seeing is. . . Nika, Paige, Azzi, Aaliyah, and Whoever.

The little idea just bouncing around in my head is that every single player on this team is going to be better than what they were last year.

I anticipate playing minutes for every player including Paige to be less than last year.

My one little wish would be. starting with the first break in play in the first quarter, players rotated in one at a time so that they can become comfortable playing in games with the best players, when it still matters.

I've never understood bringing in multiple player when the game is basically out of reach in the fourth quarter. Really, how is that helping player/team development?.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What nagging injuries Oldude? One small injury since her major one, but we all have seen that she can shoot in a boot.
Yes Azzi can shoot incredibly well with a boot on. Not sure she can play with one on. The recent article from a reporter who hung out with Geno for a day mentions that Azzi is still dealing with a foot injury every day at practice. Hopefully it’s just a matter of time before she’s 100%.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom