Who will be the most IMPORTANT Husky next season? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who will be the most IMPORTANT Husky next season?

Who will be the most important key to UCONN's success next season?

• Crystal Dangerfield

• Christyn Williams

• Megan Walker

• Olivia Nelson-Ododa

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Olivia will determine how far this team can go next season. I think she will be more than up to that task.

Reaction Score
UConn will be a high-scoring transition team next season and will average 90+ points-per-game led by high-flying Aubrey Griffin. ONO will be a big part of it since she is so fleet-of-foot!

Reaction Score
If Olivia doesn't take that next step, UConn has no chance next year. They need her size and skill.
You are right of course. But look at her late Feb, March, April performances --light years away from NOV. She went against the (near) Best and in my opinion defeated them. She is a proven defensive stopper NOW. Her scoring, we saw glimpses, will improve dramatically.
Even with out the summer LEAP--this kid is very good. I'd hang my heart on her taking UC to the Elite 8--who knows beyond that????

Reaction Score
UConn will be a high-scoring transition team next season and will average 90+ points-per-game led by high-flying Aubrey Griffin. ONO will be a big part of it since she is so fleet-of-foot!
I like what you say and the way how you say it. But A.G. will be a Frosh in a Geno program. CW a number 1 out of HS had ONE terrific game and it took to Feb before she started adding 10 to 15 points per game.
Aubrey may or may not be all you say, I'd like it to be so, but with ONO and those we have NOW you may see that transition game.

Reaction Score
Megan for me. I think that as she continues to develop and her confidence grows, that is going to help the team so much more.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I thought this was interesting:

For a lot of BYer's there's a whole lot resting on Liv's shoulders.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Olivia for her rebounding and defense: big drop off in these areas without her on the floor.

Who is the offense going through next season? Who is going to be the first and second option for taking shots? Will they run plays for Liv throughout the game? I look for Megan and Christyn to take most of the shots. I hope Crystal continues to (recognize) feed to player with the "hot hand" at any given time, whoever she is. I don’t think Geno cares who scores as long as someone does. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Megan for me. I think that as she continues to develop and her confidence grows, that is going to help the team so much more.

We know Megan and Christyn are not bashful about putting it up.

Reaction Score
I like Megan hope you are right. She is strong, talented, and can score--what's nots to like???

Reaction Score
Who is the offense going through next season? Who is going to be the first and second option for taking shots? Will they run plays for Liv throughout the game? I hope Crystal continues to feed to player with the hot hand at the time whoever she is. I don’t think Geno cares who scores as long as someone does.
Let me offer an less than objective opinion: Danger won't change a whisker or pass. The options will be CW, Ono, or Megan. Options 1,2,3
If Griffin is 1/4 as advertized as a Div 1 player, she may be option 2. But my belief is the motion will run thru ONO via Danger into CW (option 1).
Geno does not have to re-invent the wheel he has the spokes, what has worked well in the past has not reason not to work with this team. The Biggest deal is these 4 have chemistry--that makes for a serious team.

Reaction Score
We know Megan and Christyn are not bashful about putting it up.
The two significant factors with Uconn's top players: Confidence and Talent both Megan and CW h
I thought this was interesting:
View attachment 42719

For a lot of BYer's there's a whole lot resting on Liv's shoulders.
Nice graphs. Don't for one second believe the hopes and dreams of the By rests Solely on ONO's thin shoulders. I see ONO as huge in defense of the basket and some scoring. The majority of scoring will again rest on Danger, CW, Megan, maybe Aubrey (hopefully) or Irwin or Molly. ONO is a chief ingredient but an ingredient nevertheless--not the sole force. It's like a triangle made of 15 glasses pull one out from the middle --good bye triangle.

Reaction Score
Who is the offense going through next season? Who is going to be the first and second option for taking shots? Will they run plays for Liv throughout the game? I hope Crystal continues to feed to player with the hot hand at the time whoever she is. I don’t think Geno cares who scores as long as someone does.
Well, I didn't read it as that was what the question was asking (most important for scoring). In the last few games of THIS season rebounding was critically important. It was clear that ND couldn't be allowed 2nd and 3rd chances at the basket for UCONN to have any chance. And the problem seems more pronounced now with Pheesa gone (and Lou a strong rebounder too).

I don't think Liv is going to be the focus of the offense, but she absolutely has to be a threat to score as Megan was late this past season.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The two significant factors with Uconn's top players: Confidence and Talent both Megan and CW h

Nice graphs. Don't for one second believe the hopes and dreams of the By rests Solely on ONO's thin shoulders. I see ONO as huge in defense of the basket and some scoring. The majority of scoring will again rest on Danger, CW, Megan, maybe Aubrey (hopefully) or Irwin or Molly. ONO is a chief ingredient but an ingredient nevertheless--not the sole force. It's like a triangle made of 15 glasses pull one out from the middle --good bye triangle.
I'm inclined to agree. Liv will be a critically important piece but she doesn't have to carry the team.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Great just great @Scoop. That last twisters sentence, reel them in, nice.
I selected Olivia ONO. She was a difference maker in games and in the final game, Geno got a bit angsty and pulled her. I thought then, no proof, that had she stayed in she could have worked on Turner and Shepherd. Yes Turner was going to work to foul her out, but Walker may have helped.
I think, unless as you say another shows up, ONO will be the one to get Uconn to the Elite 8. CW if she makes the leap--she can't be stopped but ONO is a scorer and stopper. I like the 4 big time--but ONO stands out. ONO won't put up 39 points but who knows how many she will stop?? This year (nov) won't be a one or 2 person show. It will be TEAM.

If Geno does not get ONO some help, then Camara and Irwin will sub for her. Remember how Walker was in and out of the lineup her freshman year, but started and seldom came out this year? It will be the same for ONO next season. Don’t be surprised if Liv averages 27-34 mpg. Less if Geno can find a suitable backup for her.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I checked other as I believe the team chemistry as a whole is the most important

Right, and that chemistry can’t begin to blend until that as yet unknown 5th starter steps forward and begins to work with the other starters. Official practice begins in 5 1/2 months. There’s plenty of time left before Geno rolls the balls into the court, blows his whistle and tells them to get after it.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Let me offer an less than objective opinion: Danger won't change a whisker or pass. The options will be CW, Ono, or Megan. Options 1,2,3
If Griffin is 1/4 as advertized as a Div 1 player, she may be option 2. But my belief is the motion will run thru ONO via Danger into CW (option 1).
Geno does not have to re-invent the wheel he has the spokes, what has worked well in the past has not reason not to work with this team. The Biggest deal is these 4 have chemistry--that makes for a serious team.

Agreed. This is Crystal’s team. She pulls the strings, but of course Geno calls the shots in his read and react offense.

Reaction Score
Right, and that chemistry can’t begin to blend until that as yet unknown 5th starter steps forward and begins to work with the other starters. Official practice begins in 5 1/2 months. There’s plenty of time left before Geno rolls the balls into the court, blows his whistle and tells them to get after it.
Right as usual. The fifth wheel can disrupt the Chemistry. If that happens Geno has a problem he'll fix immediately. Irwin I doubt will disrupt the Chemistry or Molly for that matter. They are known quantities. Aubrey will need to have a huge EGO to walk in and screw things up. Hopefully, the pickup games this summer will blend in the 5th whomever that may be. ---I, guess this implies I am assuming no others will arrive--and you are assuming one or more MAY arrive because you see further ahead than I.
On this we disagree. But I understand what you are saying.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I choose Other. The most important player next year with be the development of everybody other then CD. CW showed she wants to step up. She has a learning curve that the coaching staff will teach and develop. MW showed she can shoot and rebound. She is coach able. ONO is coming along and has shown us she has great potential and CD is a senior. We as a team are in the development stage. In the past UConn had a nucleus of experienced players coming back that would be counted on in games. This season everyone other then CD we dont have that nucleus of 3-4 players we still have players in their development stages of their careers. There is alot of potential and we will beat alot of teams just on our talent. By the end of February we will be at another level as the teaching and development will make us really good.

We all know we need depth and I am confident we will have it by September. I would expect at least 2 players and maybe 3 players to join our team and play next season. I have no inside info on this its just an educated guess. If that happens how does that fair for the following 2 seasons with Paige Nika and I would think Azzi and a big coming? UConn needs help next season and we should be fine the following seasons based on who we know is coming and I do think we get Fudd and a big. If we get a big this season or next season we will dominate WCBB like we have in the past. The only caution in the future is there will need to be playtime for all the stars which means our roster of playtime will go from 6 to 8. What I mean by that is we will have CW, with Paige and Nika and perhaps a wing/guard from Poland. Then figure Fudd and somebody else and a big. The kids will want to play or as we have seen they may transfer. I have talked to some friends who have daughters who play HS and AAU BB and they all agree the kids want to play and dont want to sit for 4 years coming off the bench. We see that now.

UConn needs a couple of players who can play this up coming season. In the future we need a big or too however are future as I see it is loaded. So imo I would think if Maurkat comes, she and Griffin will see alot of play time. We will also need one other player and a big if Camara doesnt get healthly.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Right as usual. The fifth wheel can disrupt the Chemistry. If that happens Geno has a problem he'll fix immediately. Irwin I doubt will disrupt the Chemistry or Molly for that matter. They are known quantities. Aubrey will need to have a huge EGO to walk in and screw things up. Hopefully, the pickup games this summer will blend in the 5th whomever that may be. ---I, guess this implies I am assuming no others will arrive--and you are assuming one or more MAY arrive because you see further ahead than I.
On this we disagree. But I understand what you are saying.
The silence from Storrs is deafening. Other than the one Instagram post from Megan that slipped out, there has been absolutely nothing else on social media or from reporters like Ademac who are tight with Geno. Last year, we all knew that the two ladies from A&M paid a visit to Storrs before ending up at MS St & TX respectively because it was all over social media and the press. This year it’s been “radio silence.”

While nothing is certain I continue to believe that Geno has one or more players lined up who will likely be his 5th starter and possibly 6th man as well. Westbrook & Makurat are the most likely, but there could be others we won’t know anything about until we know they’re coming.

Reaction Score
MW is my choice followed by 5th and 6th member of the rotation.

Freshman and Sophomore years, Meg has shown glimpses of how lethal she can be. The one problem to me is she's inconsistent and gets lost with in the game. She sometimes looks like the game is getting the best of her mentally. If she grows in leadership and puts energy and effort behind all the amazing talents she possesses UCONN could be scary. Her talent should get her an Easy 17 5 5 stat line next season. Can't wait to see her take the next step.

Reaction Score
If Geno does not get ONO some help, then Camara and Irwin will sub for her. Remember how Walker was in and out of the lineup her freshman year, but started and seldom came out this year? It will be the same for ONO next season. Don’t be surprised if Liv averages 27-34 mpg. Less if Geno can find a suitable backup for her.
Agree again. I see, as you do, ONO playing lots of minutes if Geno doesn't have a good sub for her. Anyone NEW will undergo the Atypical Geno introduction to Div 1--and may not be really useful until Feb ala-ONO. A few here on the BY seem to think Camara will be ready, in all aspects, to go next year. I need to see it to believe it. I
The silence from Storrs is deafening. Other than the one Instagram post from Megan that slipped out, there has been absolutely nothing else on social media or from reporters like Ademac who are tight with Geno. Last year, we all knew that the two ladies from A&M paid a visit to Storrs before ending up at MS St & TX respectively because it was all over social media and the press. This year it’s been “radio silence.”

While nothing is certain I continue to believe that Geno has one or more players lined up who will likely be his 5th starter and possibly 6th man as well. Westbrook & Makurat are the most likely, but there could be others we won’t know anything about until we know they’re coming.
Thanks. Nice dissertation on "Radio Silence" Storrs. Geno and total Company doesn't want to lose a potential with "loose lips".

Reaction Score
I choose Other. The most important player next year with be the development of everybody other then CD. CW showed she wants to step up. She has a learning curve that the coaching staff will teach and develop. MW showed she can shoot and rebound. She is coach able. ONO is coming along and has shown us she has great potential and CD is a senior. We as a team are in the development stage. In the past UConn had a nucleus of experienced players coming back that would be counted on in games. This season everyone other then CD we dont have that nucleus of 3-4 players we still have players in their development stages of their careers. There is alot of potential and we will beat alot of teams just on our talent. By the end of February we will be at another level as the teaching and development will make us really good.

We all know we need depth and I am confident we will have it by September. I would expect at least 2 players and maybe 3 players to join our team and play next season. I have no inside info on this its just an educated guess. If that happens how does that fair for the following 2 seasons with Paige Nika and I would think Azzi and a big coming? UConn needs help next season and we should be fine the following seasons based on who we know is coming and I do think we get Fudd and a big. If we get a big this season or next season we will dominate WCBB like we have in the past. The only caution in the future is there will need to be playtime for all the stars which means our roster of playtime will go from 6 to 8. What I mean by that is we will have CW, with Paige and Nika and perhaps a wing/guard from Poland. Then figure Fudd and somebody else and a big. The kids will want to play or as we have seen they may transfer. I have talked to some friends who have daughters who play HS and AAU BB and they all agree the kids want to play and dont want to sit for 4 years coming off the bench. We see that now.

UConn needs a couple of players who can play this up coming season. In the future we need a big or too however are future as I see it is loaded. So imo I would think if Maurkat comes, she and Griffin will see alot of play time. We will also need one other player and a big if Camara doesnt get healthly.
Geno in the very distant past has had a roster of 12 or slightly more and with TALENT doubled at every position. CD, if you recall, kept records of PT and showed some players during the games. She hated that. Point is: Uconn has proven it can live with multiples of talent, it's hard but do-able.
I have no knowledge of Maurkat, haven't see her play except that which @RockyMTblue2 posted and Griffin I have read all that posted herein. Griffin appears to have near CW Talent and Confidence, that is a big plus plus. Touly, I'm waitful watching and hopeful watching she is one tough lady.

Reaction Score
Of course they're all important and all need to improve for this team to be REALLY good. Williams has a high ceiling but IMO ONO will be the difference maker. At 6-5 she has the potential to impact the season more than anyone. Other than Williams, the rest of them are close to their ceilings for impact. However, I believe ONO is nowhere near hers. IMO, she's the difference between being a good solid top 5 to 10 team or actually having a shot at a NC. Without her being able to somewhat control the interior defense and boards, top teams will play volleyball on the offensive boards. No one else can do what she can potentially. This year's margin for error was really small, next year's will be paper thin. Williams will be very good but she'll get the same defensive focus and treatment that KLS got this year. Watching her this year I think ONO has the guts to rise to the challenge and I just hope by midseason she has the game to.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom