Who will be the most IMPORTANT Husky next season? | The Boneyard

Who will be the most IMPORTANT Husky next season?

Who will be the most important key to UCONN's success next season?

• Crystal Dangerfield

• Christyn Williams

• Megan Walker

• Olivia Nelson-Ododa

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not most improved, but most important to teams' success? I realize it's a team sport and UCONN excels at playing team ball, but I wonder who UCONN fans think will be the most important key for a great season?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I voted CW. Mainly because Crystal is very consistent already and the largest swing imho is whether CW makes the proverbial biggest jump. I think MW's and ONO's improvement will be more incremental. I know that is not exactly the spirit of the question and I suppose in the spirit of the question, it has to be Crystal as PG but
we know she will be excellent.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Crystal will have the reigns (PG), command (Senior) and the nerve to run our team. I have confidence in her that she will be more than up to the task.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
How about the yet to be named 5th starter? It takes 5 players to make up the starting unit. A chain is (starting unit) is only as strong as its weakest link. Will she be a dynamic and aggressive player on both ends of the court that carries her own weight and makes her presence known, or simply a body to fill out the starting unit that will disappear from time to time and seldom put up double digits in any box score column?

The 3 returning starters and Liv have already played together. ONO played in all 38 games last year. While she never appeared to be "comfortable" out there, she was out there, so there is some chemistry with her in the line up.

She WILL be a starter next season. We know what to expect for the returning 3. We also have a pretty good idea of what we can expect from Liv in her sophomore season (not to be confused or compared to what we will expect in her last two seasons).

The 5th starter, whoever she is right now is the "wild card", because we don't know who she is. There are a lot of unknowns surrounding her. She will have to mesh with the other four, and they to her. How quickly and effectively can she do that?

Sometimes Geno does not name his new starters until just before the first exhibition game in early November. Will she have enough time to "mesh" and blend in with the starting unit, or will it spill over into preseason games?

Example - What if the Basketball Gods smile down upon UConn, and Evina Westbrook comes on board, and gets a waiver from the NCAA to play immediately, wouldn't that dynamic afford Geno some leverage and change some opinions (and possibly the make up and the potential of the starting unit)? :eek:

We'll see if the 5th starter can hold up her end, and deliver the goods (make plays) when she needs to. How many of the 39.3 ppg that Lou and Napheesa averaged will she be able to make up each game? The final roster for next year is still incomplete. We don't know if Griffin will come in and make an impact so forceful that Geno has no choice but to start her. That remains to be seen.

There are a lot of unanswered questions at THIS time regarding your query. I could be wrong, but I don't see Griffin starting any games next year because of the other options Geno will have. It's very possible the 5th starter is not on the roster yet. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think a healthy Batouly will be the biggest difference maker.

IF her knees hold up, and she can stay healthy all/most of the season. I'm from Missouri when it comes to Batouly and her knees holding up. I truly hope her health problems are behind her, and she's good to go the entire season at full strength. That would be a BIG help to the team, and give Geno another major tool on his tool belt. I don't have a preference. You know coaches always put their best 5 players on the floor to start the game. I'm going to root and cheer hard for whomever he sends out there. :cool:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
IF her knees hold up, and she can stay healthy all/most of the season. I'm from Missouri when it comes to Batouly and her knees holding up. I truly hope her health problems are behind her, and she's good to go the entire season at full strength. That would be a BIG help to the team, and give Geno another major tool on his tool belt.

Agreed. I think without a Batouly MCL sprain in November, they would have brought home #12 this year. If she’s healthy, she and ONO are going to be a major force in the back court.

Even if she’s healthy enough to consistently put in a quality 10-12 minutes per game, it will completely change the team dynamic.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Agreed. I think without a Batouly MCL sprain in November, they would have brought home #12 this year. If she’s healthy, she and ONO are going to be a major force in the back court.

Even if she’s healthy enough to consistently put in a quality 10-12 minutes per game, it will completely change the team dynamic.
That would solve one of Geno's concerns next season. Somebody is going to have to spell ONO for periodic blows. If Batouly can give her 12-14 minutes a game, that would be great. That 12-14 minutes includes subbing for her if/when she gets in foul trouble. How nice would it be to finally see Batouly at full strength? :eek:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I thought this would be an interesting question and while I figured that probably Crystal was the obvious answer since she's the floor general, I was hoping for a wide range of voting numbers. It's interesting that so many people feel that different players will be the key for next season.

No wrong answer of course, just interesting to me that the voting is so spread out...

Reaction Score
Danger. She is the point guard, she’s the one with the ball in her hand, she’s the decision maker. No dispute that she the leader of next years team. And she is more than up for the challenge.

Reaction Score
Crystal Dangerfield will be "the straw that stirs the drink!"
She is the leader that will determine how the Offense and Defense plays!
In Geno's system everyone has to take the power sometime but the Senior/PG will have the most say!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Crystal, Megan & Christyn will all be important, but UConn will go as far as Liv takes them next year.

If Geno has some concerns next season, ONO won’t be one of them. I look for ONO to step up and play with the confidence and enthusiasm that her roommate Christyn will. Christyn has already affected her attitude and resolve. Remember that like Christyn, ONO wants to be great.

Liv has moved beyond the awe of moving up to elite division one basketball, and playing with two of the best players in UConn lore. She’ll begin her sophomore year knowing the system and knowing that she belongs here and can play at this level.

She’s still learning, but the hardest part of learning the system is behind her. She’ll enter year two after 16 months of weight room training, a little stronger and a little wiser. Now she knows what’s coming and what to expect. Remember that she played against players 4 years older, and were much more experienced.

I can’t wait to see her play against the top rated teams in the preseason. Those games will be the yard stick by which she can be measured. Liv is no longer a freshman. From this point forward, I don't expect her to play like one. I think we’re going to like what we see.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
The player who wins the MOP of the tournament and carries UConn to #12. That is most IMPORTANT. :D

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
My thinking is that any method you wish to use to measure her improvement on either/both ends of the floor, ONO will cause/enable an equal or grater amount of improvement by the other four players on the floor. I have no doubt that how goes ONO so goes her team for the next three years.

PS. Change my mind in 2023.

Reaction Score
How about the yet to be named 5th starter? The 3 returning starters and Liv have already played together. ONO played in all 38 games last year. While she never appeared to be "comfortable" out there, she was out there, so there is some chemistry with her in the line up. She WILL be a starter next season.

The 5th starter, whoever she is right now is the "wild card", because we don't know who she is. There are a lot of unknowns surrounding her. She will have to mesh with the other four, and they to her. How quickly and effectively can she do that? Sometimes Geno does not name his new starters until just before the first exhibition game in early November.

We'll see if the 5th starter can hold up her end, and deliver the goods (make plays) when she needs to? How many of the 39.3 ppg that Lou and Napheesa averaged will she be able to make up each game? It's possible she's not on the roster yet. :cool:
Great just great @Scoop. That last twisters sentence, reel them in, nice.
I selected Olivia ONO. She was a difference maker in games and in the final game, Geno got a bit angsty and pulled her. I thought then, no proof, that had she stayed in she could have worked on Turner and Shepherd. Yes Turner was going to work to foul her out, but Walker may have helped.
I think, unless as you say another shows up, ONO will be the one to get Uconn to the Elite 8. CW if she makes the leap--she can't be stopped but ONO is a scorer and stopper. I like the 4 big time--but ONO stands out. ONO won't put up 39 points but who knows how many she will stop?? This year (nov) won't be a one or 2 person show. It will be TEAM.

Reaction Score
If Olivia doesn't take that next step, UConn has no chance next year. They need her size and skill.

Reaction Score
All five starters are critical. One does poorly, or one gets into foul trouble, and it's lights out!

No one can have a bad game, or commit silly fouls. Batouly is not going to get better; sounds permanent. And Neither of the other bench players can be counted on to suddenly become D-1 players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom