Who will be the leading scorer? | The Boneyard

Who will be the leading scorer?

Reaction Score
I’m interested in who everyone thinks will be UConn’s leading scorer this upcoming season. How about top 3 scorers? How many points do you think they will average? I personally think we will see different players each night lead the huskies. Last season it was mostly Phee then Lou who led. I imagine this season it’ll be more balanced among CW, Dangerfield, MW, ONO, Westbrook (if eligible) scoring team highs. In terms of ppg I’d say CW leads with about 16, but Dangerfield (15ppg), MW (15ppg), ONO(13ppg), not far behind (in that order). Thoughts?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
1569986195967.png

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I’m interested in who everyone thinks will be UConn’s leading scorer this upcoming season. How about top 3 scorers? How many points do you think they will average? I personally think we will see different players each night lead the huskies. Last season it was mostly Phee then Lou who led. I imagine this season it’ll be more balanced among CW, Dangerfield, MW, ONO, Westbrook (if eligible) scoring team highs. In terms of ppg I’d say CW leads with about 16, but Dangerfield (15ppg), MW (15ppg), ONO(13ppg), not far behind (in that order). Thoughts?

Christyn Williams....................as of right now. We still don't know who that 5th starter will be. So based on what we do know, I'll say Christyn. The plays Geno ran for our departed seniors he will now be run for her and Megan Walker. She's uber aggressive and loves to run the fast break and attack the basket. She'll spend lots of time at the stripe this year. Judging from the number of likes you received, it appears we're not alone. :)

Dangerfield is a pass first pg. She’ll shoot when left open or when she has to. ONO will spend much of this season getting comfortable in the offense and shooting from under the basket and mid range jumpers.

Megan is going to give you what she gave us last year, just with more intensity and urgency.

It will be a different player each night. NOBODY is on EVERY night = Biorhythms. That's why you can score 30 one night, and 6 the next. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’ll go with Westbrook, she seems to play off Instincts, when to score and when to get the team the ball, Liv would probably be my next choice, wining gold this summer should only make her that much more hungry. Williams would be the safe pick, but she did sorta disappear at times last season.

Reaction Score
I tend agree it would be either Westbrook (if eligible) or Williams.

I'm not exactly sure why Evina wanted to play on the ball at Tennessee (I thought I read she wanted to play a PG, but maybe it was just because the best option), but I think she'll greatly benefit playing off the ball in Storrs. She is a terrific distributor, but at times it looked like she was expending a lot of energy getting the ball up the floor, which is why I think she'll flourish as a shooting guard.

Williams, as mentioned, is just a natural three-level scorer. She'll drill the three, pull-up in the mid-range, or finish a layup through contact. She of course benefitted from being the fifth option last year, as defenses obviously had to focus on Pheesa and Lou, but if I know anything about Christyn, it's that she'll be up to the challenge of spearheading the team's offensive attack alongside Crystal. I think she'll be a 50-40-80/90 shooter by the time she leaves Storrs.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Megan have a breakout offensive season. She has all the tools as well.

Reaction Score
No one can score at all three levels (long-range, mid-range, and attacking the glass) like Williams can do for Connecticut. Following a summer of high-level three-on-three competition, Williams may be the most effective three-level scorer in the country at the D1 level. That may not translate to 17+ points per game because UConn shares the ball so well, but opposing defenses will identify Williams as the #1 defensive challenge that coaching staffs will need to scheme for in '19-'20.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I believe that if the UConn offense is working at peak efficiency neither Dangerfield nor ONO will be one of the top three scorers. That will be Williams, Walker and pick a third. If something is not working as well as it should then either Dangerfield and/or ONO could be in the top three, but I hope not to see that.

Reaction Score
Unlike most of you, I see Williams as more of an opportunistic type of scorer rather than one who will create her own shot. She is more effective in taking advantage of openings created during the flow of the game. Well we shall see which of us is right. I must say most of you have certainly seen more of her than I have.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I tend to agree with this. I think ONO will average 10-12 PPG and hopfully 8-10 RPG - given she will be a starter and likely average 30 MPG this season.
if she stays out of foul trouble... you know how those refs are towards bigs

Reaction Score
If Crystal is scoring more than CW, that would worry me. As the team facilitator, I hope Megan (14), CW (18) and Evina (15) score more and Olivia (11) at least double digits. Optimally, I think Crystal would be about 10 pts 7 assists

IMO, I just don't see Crystal scoring less points than she did last year.

Reaction Score
If Walker is placed at the 3 (her more natural position), I’d say she has the tools to be the leading scorer—though I think the margin would be slim. I don’t see anyone scoring more than 16-17ppg mainly because I doubt this team will need that. Each starter will have their big-numbers-games and also their fair share of the where-were-they-games. That’s my prediction based off of the scoring averages returning and what some of the new additions might add.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If Walker is placed at the 3 (her more natural position), I’d say she has the tools to be the leading scorer—though I think the margin would be slim. I don’t see anyone scoring more than 16-17ppg mainly because I doubt this team will need that. Each starter will have their big-numbers-games and also their fair share of the where-were-they-games. That’s my prediction based off of the scoring averages returning and what some of the new additions might add.
I agree 100% that Megan needs to be at the 3 and not the 4, but that would require a semi-big (i.e., NOT Westbrook) to be the 5th starter and play in the 4 position. Candidates: Evelyn, Aubrey, Anna, and Batouly -- probably in that order of plausibility.

I think most of you are underestimating the point contribution of Aubrey Griffin. It would be more interesting if you also projected minutes per game in addition to PPG. I think Aubrey will play 15-20 minutes and score 7-9 points per game. I think she will also help out measurably in other dimensions, such as rebounding, defense, shot blocking, and steals. In other words, a Gabby Williams wannabe.

Reaction Score
C. Williams is the heir apparent for top scorer, ONO has the ability and could be a good 2nd choice, Danger, if healthy, may be 2 or 3rd choice. Westbrook, if allowed to play may fit in there somewhere.
Consider the unknowns: Aubrey, Ania, Evelyn,
To be a top team Uconn will need all the above to play beyond their norms.

Reaction Score
I agree 100% that Megan needs to be at the 3 and not the 4, but that would require a semi-big (i.e., NOT Westbrook) to be the 5th starter and play in the 4 position. Candidates: Evelyn, Aubrey, Anna, and Batouly -- probably in that order of plausibility.

I think most of you are underestimating the point contribution of Aubrey Griffin. It would be more interesting if you also projected minutes per game in addition to WPPG. I think Aubrey will play 15-20 minutes and score 7-9 points per game. I think she will also help out measurably in other dimensions, such as rebounding, defense, shot blocking, and steals. In other words, a Gabby Williams wannabe.
I agree with all you say: Aubrey, is hyped as a leaper and showed in NY State she can score how does that transfer to Uconn??? Westbrook, if allowed, has potential. Unknowns are Evelyn, Ania, Touly (she never did much scoring in the game she played--can she really step up to the new game she must play??
Ania, I'm high on her. But will her "pro" play be enough to fit in at the Uconn Div 1 game? lsoads of Unknowns. Evelyn played at a lower Div 1 level and played well, Butler never made the full transition, can Evelyn??

Reaction Score
Yep Megan Walker has the tools to be great. She laid back her frosh year, and deferred to the big guys this past season. She had a couple of really good games point wise. This could be her break out year.

Reaction Score

I think most of you are underestimating the point contribution of Aubrey Griffin. It would be more interesting if you also projected minutes per game in addition to PPG. I think Aubrey will play 15-20 minutes and score 7-9 points per game. I think she will also help out measurably in other dimensions, such as rebounding, defense, shot blocking, and steals. In other words, a Gabby Williams wannabe.
Even if Megan can just get around 10mpg (I expect she’ll be playing around 30mpg total) at the 3 I think she could do a good amount of damage to opposing teams.

As for mpg, the 4 “locked in” starters (ONO, Williams, Dangerfield, and Walker) will probably average 29-33mpg. The remaining minutes will be divided between Makurat, Adebayo, and Griffin, with Camara in the mix if she’s healthy and Irwin and Bent given 5-10 minutes at the end of blowout games. If Westbrook is available, I imagine there will be enough talent to allow the starters to only play 25-28mpg, but still see whoever the starting 5 are as getting around 70% of the playing time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom