Who will be the "Go To" guy #1 and #2? | The Boneyard

Who will be the "Go To" guy #1 and #2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
When we have to have a basket, who will we get the ball to?

My initial reaction is that it will often be Jeremy, but I am not sure that it won't end up being Shabazz more often. If Bazz shoots he ball better from the outside, he will become able to drive and dish.

Clear out the side and give the ball to AD and tell him to drive and dunk?

Maybe RB or DD will come to show the ability to get their jumpshot off against tight D, something I'm not sure that Jeremy can do regularly.

Thoughts?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Jeremy
Shabazz
AD
AO

Jeremy will be playing the Rip role most of the season.

Reaction Score
Lamb and Oriakhi. By default Napier. I would say as of 9/4/11 that could be the hierarchy.

Reaction Score
I think this team will have multiple options so I think it will depend on matchups...but I think early 'go to' guys will be

JL
AO
SN
AD

In that order only because i think JC will give AO a chance to show he can be a viable option in the post...either going to the basket or if double team comes kicking out to JL / SN / RS

Reaction Score
If we're talking about who's hands the ball is in with the shot clock ticking down, it's gotta be Bazz. For taking the shot, I think it's gotta be Lamb, and hopefully Drummond will be giving him a run for his money as the go-to guy.

Reaction Score
I've been saying all along it will be closer by committee, though I'll be shocked if Lamb isn't option at least throughout the first half of the season until someone else gains JC's confidence that they can get it done.

When it comes to winning time plays, you usually get one shot at it. Though the way some games can go back-and-forth you sometimes get a second crack at it like the game where Jamal Coombs-McDaniel got that rebound off a short floater by Kemba (I think it was him), giving Kemba another crack at some late game heriocs.

My dart board guess as options 1 through whatever is:

Lamb - Floater time!
Bazz - Heart Attack time! :)
Drummond - Posterize Time! or Hammer Time!
Boatright - Boatshow Time!
Roscoe - Dagger Time!
Daneils - Hum...I got nuttin'

Reaction Score
I've been saying all along it will be closer by committee, though I'll be shocked if Lamb isn't option at least throughout the first half of the season until someone else gains JC's confidence that they can get it done.

When it comes to winning time plays, you usually get one shot at it. Though the way some games can go back-and-forth you sometimes get a second crack at it like the game where Jamal Coombs-McDaniel got that rebound off a short floater by Kemba (I think it was him), giving Kemba another crack at some late game heriocs.

Lamb - Floater time!
Roscoe - Dagger Time!

DM, think you need to add AO to your list. I'd expect to see him at 3 ahead of AD at least until AD shows what he can do offensively.

Reaction Score
AO could be on the verge of having a monster year. He was blood and guts at the end last year and if he builds on it as I expect he will, we could be surprised. AO should outperform Drummond even though Ad looks smoother around the basket.

Reaction Score
Obviously JL as option #1 and then probably AD distributing out of the block. Not sure yet on DD, RS or NG on wing and their production.

My initial reaction is that it will often be Jeremy, but I am not sure that it won't end up being Shabazz more often. If Bazz shoots he ball better from the outside, he will become able to drive and dish.

Maybe RB or DD will come to show the ability to get their jumpshot off against tight D, something I'm not sure that Jeremy can do regularly.

Thoughts?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Whoever shows the ability to flash to the hoop and catch the ball when their man doubles AD or AO will be able to score consistently on this team.

Reaction Score

Lamb - Floater time!
Roscoe - Dagger Time!
I don't see AD as a top of the line closer. For instances I don't expect the and 1 scenario to come into play with Yancy Gates hypothetically defending him. Assuming AD is sub 60% from the line he might not be on the court. I like the Boatright ranking. All JMHO of course.

Reaction Score

Thoughts?

Lamb seems the obvious first choice but I think he will need to show more willingness to take it all the way in and draw a foul at times to serve adequately in this role.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
JL, AD, AO, SN (since he IS supposed to be running the point, after all)

Reaction Score
I believe it will change mostly every game depending on who's hot and who we are playing. Jeremy is the obvious #1 choice but if the other team has a lockdown 2/3 who can D hima little JC may elect to shove it down their throats and dump it inside to open things up. Compeititon and hot hands will change so will our options but the fact they will be deep makes this a good thing.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
JL & AO & then AD

I think some of you guys are forgetting that JC works inside first and foremost

JL may be that great wing we haven't had in a while

Reaction Score
Lamb&AO IN SET PIECES, SN &JL at end of shotclock.

Reaction Score
This is a good question and it will be interesting to see how it plays off on whether there will be a defined 2 guy in times of a needed bucket. Of the three national championship teams, each had a fairly well defined 1 and 2 option. 99 was Rip and Khalid. 2004 was Gordon and Okafor. 2011 was Kemba and JLamb. It could be Shabazz, but I'd prefer keeping him a guy that looks to pass versus shoot. With all the talent on the floor, I'm looking to him as a guy who can spread the ball and keep everyone engaged offensively. It will also be interesting to see if AO/AD can develop a little bit of a high low on the interior. My gutt is telling me the Kemba absence isn't going to be as difficult to adjust out of on the offensive end as anti Uconn people think. Why? Because there is just going to be that much talent/options/mismatches and this team has a strong pass first PG that can also shoot the ball in a pinch/when a play breaks down. The only guy in the rotation that would seem to have some difficulties on the offensive end is Roscoe - even he has a decent jumper/can hit the 3. I actually look for this team to be more balanced offensively and possibly harder to guard.

Reaction Score
its gonna be drummond... maybe not early but by X-mas this kid is gonna be a monster.

Reaction Score
DM, think you need to add AO to your list. I'd expect to see him at 3 ahead of AD at least until AD shows what he can do offensively.

I like Alex, but IMO he has to improve his efficiency in the post. He tends to throw the ball up toward the basket with his body at bad angles. He needs to learn to square up better and improve his over all post game. The reason why I have AD there and not Alex is because he's the one I'd rather have the ball in his hands if the perimeter guys feed it to one of them within dunking range. Alex doesn't get that far above the rim. AD destroys it.

I'm not saying I would favor AD over Alex if they need to put the ball on the floor and create. AD is my choice within Dunking distance, that's all, at least at this stage.

Reaction Score
I don't see AD as a top of the line closer. For instances I don't expect the and 1 scenario to come into play with Yancy Gates hypothetically defending him. Assuming AD is sub 60% from the line he might not be on the court. I like the Boatright ranking. All JMHO of course.

I'm not saying I want AD to put the ball on the floor and create. AD is my choice within Dunking range, that's all, at least at this stage. For those who haven't seen him, just you wait and see. He's every big 6-11 275 and all muscle. Hard to stop someone that big and skilled when they're throwing down the hammer. Teams will find ways of slowing him, particularly by preventing him from getting the ball within dunking range.

Let's revisit this thread once we're part way through the season.

C

Chief00

Lamb is our best shooter. Bazz will have to recognize that. Would like to see an inside /out game with AD and Lamb - that could be deadly. Pick your vice. Most guys even in the BE won't be able to cover AD 1x1 down low....but if you give Lamb some space - count it!!!!!

Reaction Score
Having attended a number of games at the GHPA, I'd have to go with Lamb. Lamb seemed even more aggressive, assertive, and well rounded, hitting clutch shot after clutch shot. He was deadly in every aspect of his game, from drilling exceptionally long three's, to taking it to the hoop, drawing contact, and finishing strong. Given his absolutely cold blooded nature, I'd certainly have to go with Lamb being the number one end of game option.

That being said, Boatright seems to be cut from the same cloth, and appears unfazed and confident taking the shot no matter what the circumstances. At the GHPA, with under a minute left, and his team trailing by 3, Boatright confidently drilled a long three to send the game into overtime (which Lamb dominated).

Even with Lamb being the number one option, this year's team is incredibly deep and talented, and has any number of individuals who I wouldn't mind having the ball with 12 seconds left on the clock (other than Roscoe, seeing as full court heaves are relatively low percentage shots)...

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I'm not saying I want AD to put the ball on the floor and create. AD is my choice within Dunking range, that's all, at least at this stage. For those who haven't seen him, just you wait and see. He's every big 6-11 275 and all muscle. Hard to stop someone that big and skilled when they're throwing down the hammer. Teams will find ways of slowing him, particularly by preventing him from getting the ball within dunking range.

Let's revisit this thread once we're part way through the season.

So much will depend on AD's confidence coming in. As big and strong as AO looked last year, AD will make him look rather small by comparison. AO could get a lot of dunks on passes from AD, but AD could be quite a force if he can make good decisions, such as when to drive, when to back in, when to pass, and when to kick out. How about AO setting picks on AD's man to set up Bazz tossing some alley oops to Andre? The possibilities are fun to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom