Who will be the difference makers tonight for UCONN? | The Boneyard

Who will be the difference makers tonight for UCONN?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
ND, again will try to take Stewie out of the game tonight. Geno will move her around like he did last year. My secret player tonight is Kia Nurse, ND will leave her open and she will need to make her open looks and then that will open the middle for Tuck, Stewie and Kiah..I am looking for a tight game in the 1st half, then UCONN pulls away when ND runs out of steam.

84-62 UCONN Championship 3 PEAT again..............

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Stokes was without a doubt a monumental game-changer in the first meeting - complete and utter domination on the glass and in the lane.

Will it play out that way again? Turner adds a new element vs. the last meeting; Kiah could again be key.

In a few hours, we'll know.....

Reaction Score
My vote is Stokes for UConn, and Allen for ND. I just hope ND doesn't make so many of those crazy 3s like they did towards the end of the first half of last year's game to try and get back in it using the only real weapon they had.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Moriah's ability to score and play defense on the ND's guards will be the key. Can't afford Moriah to foul out like she did in the game at South Bend. If Jewel Loyd has a bad shooting day, like she did in South Bend, ND's other guards will pick her up. In South Bend, besides Loyd's 31 points (Took 27 Shots + 8 of 9 FT's), ND's other guards only scored 13 points. Don't see that happening tonight. I expect to see a more balanced ND scoring attack.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I certainly hope UConn doesn't have to rely on Kia Nurse to win this game.

I think the key will be whether Moriah can regularly hit 3's, when the ND zone collapses around Stewie or Tuck and they kick it out to her. Secondarily, it would be nice if both Stewie and Morgan can make some 3's, so that they can't be ignored outside the paint.

I expect ND to play a box-and-1 on KML, and basically dare everyone else to shoot from outside. The box will collapse whenever the ball goes into the paint, so that neither Turner nor Reimer have to defend UConn's posts individually.

Geno will try to spread the floor, and that will work best if the floor beyond the paint has to be defended against shooters other than KML.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind seeing a little more zone with our big lineup (Tuck/Stokes/Stewart) and trapping/collapsing on their guards, esp when Loyd has the ball. I know they shoot a good 3PT % as a team, but Cable comes off the bench and Loyd doesn't have a really high % (32%). At the end of the day, they are not a big 3PT shooting team like we are. Yes, Mabry can get hot, but I see the greater danger as Loyd and Allen being ultra aggressive against a man defense, and us getting cheap fouls. That's the one combo where lightning could strike and we could get in trouble. Not saying it's likely - I still think we win by double digits.

Stokes in the middle has been shown to allow Tuck and Stewie to roam and close off gaps. Kiah is a one-woman, offense-killing zone. There are times when Kiah is in that it appears we are in man defense, but Kiah is really playing the middle by herself and everyone else is matching up.

So we should mix in a healthy amount of zone and the big lineup in addition to our usual man to man.

Reaction Score
Go Kiah!!!! Hope she gets lots of playing time tonight in her last game in a UConn uniform.

HGN

Reaction Score
I expect the Difference Makers tonight to be ...........1) The Refs ; 2) Stokes.

The Refs , because if they are calling Stewie and Mo for touch fouls it could hurt UConn a great deal. We can ill- afford to have any one of them in foul trouble. (UConn rarily gets the benefit of many calls).

And Stokes , because if Stokes can play good defense on Reimer and Turner in the paint it makes ND a perimeter team. And it limits their 2nd chance points. Stops the drives of Allen and Loyd.....Stokes could be a Big Key tonight. And Heaven help ND if Stokes can muster , say , 10pts.

Reaction Score
Could be any of the 5 starters except Nurse. You never know which is going to be hot, and usually it's multiple players.

So, knowing this, if I was ND I'd play man to man D... except have no one guard Nurse. The player who would've guarded Nurse should hang out in the paint to grab rebounds and disrupt drives. Intentionally leave Nurse wide open, hoping that the ball will end up with her and that she'll shoot.

Reaction Score
I hope Kiah Stokes, the #2 defensive player in the nation, comes out with a chip
on her shoulder and dominates and shows the nation who really is the #1
defensive player. I hope she is standing at the end of the game holding her 3rd
National Championship trophy. On to the WNBA draft and hopefully the 11th pick
to Minnesota with Maya.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
That's kind of what I love about UConn, you never really know. It really could be anyone. I do however hope Jewell takes some ridiculous "mamba-esk" shots so I can laugh hysterically and I hope Kiah gets some good minutes so I can see her stuff a few people unapologetically.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I'm hoping for 4 of the starters to be in double digits ... I want to turn this into something where the open man makes the shot, and completely flummox ND defense.

Reaction Score
Offensive: Mo
Defensive: Kiah

I am curious to see how well Nurse defends Lloyd. If we stop their guards or hold them down, ND has no chance.

UCONN 78 ND 62

Reaction Score
I hate to state the obvious but Stewie. She needs to take charge like she has in the tourny so far and move around. Down low, high post. Go to the basket, shoot threes and midrange jumpers and rebound. If she does that it will open up things for others.

Reaction Score
I think KML and Kiah will have big games since after all its their last game playing for UCONN. I can see KML making eight 3's and Kiah blocking ten shots.

Reaction Score
Mabrey from 3-point land and Huffman as disruptive difference-maker, a la Grayson Allen last night.

Reaction Score
Could be any of the 5 starters except Nurse. You never know which is going to be hot, and usually it's multiple players.

So, knowing this, if I was ND I'd play man to man D... except have no one guard Nurse. The player who would've guarded Nurse should hang out in the paint to grab rebounds and disrupt drives. Intentionally leave Nurse wide open, hoping that the ball will end up with her and that she'll shoot.
I don't see why Nurse can't be "the one". She's now an experienced tournament player, and I believe her stage fright is in the past. She shot .493 FG and .413 from 3 during the season. If they leave her unguarded, I think she could leave our opponents even more depressed for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom