Who Will Be the 12th Big East Team? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who Will Be the 12th Big East Team?

Reaction Score
There is no need to expand but if there was the obvious choice should be UMASS because it restores the original Big East footprint. We all saw what UMASS was in the 90's so the potential for success is obviously there. A bump up to the Big East would give their basketball program renewed energy. It also would be a bit of a cannon shot at BC which is nice.

Reaction Score
Won't happen but St. Louis is a Great call, hadn't even thought of them. They've been a good program for a long time. Joining the BE would elevate them even more.
There is no need to expand but if there was the obvious choice should be UMASS because it restores the original Big East footprint. We all saw what UMASS was in the 90's so the potential for success is there. A bump up to the Big East would give their basketball program renewed energy.
first and foremost the idea is to elevate and provide more energy to the big east. not throw a bone to individual schools.

Reaction Score
it’s a shame about rutgers football, because they were always a natural fit.

Reaction Score
I say this fully aware that Creighton is a small school with a small alumni base in a small market with basically no national following. The last thing the conference needs is more of us so sorry Dayton but no and SLU is looking ok now and I like STL, but they haven't put together much success as a program.

If Gonzaga was located in Denver maybe it could work, but Spokane is a long long ways away. Further from Spokane to Omaha than Omaha to NYC.

The only schools that I would see as a 100% no brainer add are two that are really farfetched.

1. If ACC pushed ND to become a full football member or leave and ND wanted to stay indy. I have no clue why the ACC would do that, but the BE would be the natural home for their sports other than football. Their national brand is worth dealing with the domers.

2. The other is Kansas. If Texas and Oklahoma jump to the SEC, B1G or Pac and leave the rest of the plains universities as nomads Kansas could potentially consider to deemphasize their football program similar to UConn and make sure their elite basketball program gets a stable home instead of getting sucked into whatever Frankenstein conference would rise from those ashes.

Like I said both of those would need a seismic shift in the conference landscape to happen. Right now the conference should be very happy at 11 with a 20 game round robin. We have a good thing going, no reason to go chasing something that isn't there.

Reaction Score
shocked dear god GIF

No.
Yeah, UMASS no way in hell would we want that. That haven't been good in basketball since when the Squid was there. Maybe he had one too many beers! LOL!

Reaction Score
There is no need to expand but if there was the obvious choice should be UMASS because it restores the original Big East footprint. We all saw what UMASS was in the 90's so the potential for success is obviously there. A bump up to the Big East would give their basketball program renewed energy. It also would be a bit of a cannon shot at BC which is nice.
Please let it be. That is the worst idea I have heard in a long time!!!!

Reaction Score
P5 contraction is coming. It will be one of our former BE conference mates with a poor football program.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Syracuse come back to their roots over the next 10 years or so, especially if the landscape changes dramatically and if they struggle to find their identity post Boeheim.

Reaction Score
P5 contraction is coming. It will be one of our former BE conference mates with a poor football program.
Agreed. If the BE were to ever expand further, it would be a former member returning - for whatever reason.

Reaction Score
I do not believe that the new Big East will expand.

If they do, I see them taking two steps. First, the addition will not be a college with a BCS football team, such as UMass. They don't want to mirror the old Big East's errors and will not want to give that much power two schools (UConn +). Second, no disrespect to Dayton, but the conference already has Xavier, just 45 miles away from Dayton, and Butler, which is only 100 miles away, in that part of the Midwest. I think if they do expand it will be to the south with either Richmond or Davidson, both have decent basketball cred, are not BCS football teams, are in growing markets, and match well with the profile of the other conference members, excluding UConn.

Reaction Score
I'm also in the camp of the Big East not expanding but there could be some financial benefit to it. IIRC, the tv deal is for a total of 500MM for 12 years, which would rise to 600MM if the league went to 12. A 20% increase for a 20% dilution, meaning the money would stay the same. Assuming the addition of UConn and a SLU type program would increase ratings, it wouldn't be too far fetched for the league and Fox to sit down and negotiate an increase.

Reaction Score
Won't happen but St. Louis is a Great call, hadn't even thought of them. They've been a good program for a long time. Joining the BE would elevate them even more.

Same, didn't even think of St. Louis, good call. In the Midwest, outside of the aforementioned Dayton, Evansville, Bradley, Valpo, and St. Bonnaventure are just not in attractive markets. Tulsa could be a possibility, but they have BCS football. Maybe Drake out of Des Moines? Likley too small of a market. KC doesn't have any colleges of that nature. A wildcard could be St. Thomas out of Minneapolis, which I believe just made or will be making the jump from DIII to DI (Summit league), as MSP is the second largest midwest market after Chicago.

If they want to back-fill, may St. Joe's in Philly depending if 'Nova is willing to share (doubtful). Fordham would fit well, too, but they don;t see to be interested in investing too heavily in their program.

Reaction Score
I'm also in the camp of the Big East not expanding but there could be some financial benefit to it. IIRC, the tv deal is for a total of 500MM for 12 years, which would rise to 600MM if the league went to 12. A 20% increase for a 20% dilution, meaning the money would stay the same. Assuming the addition of UConn and a SLU type program would increase ratings, it wouldn't be too far fetched for the league and Fox to sit down and negotiate an increase.

I'm not sure what evidence there is that St. Louis is going to increase ratings.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati going Indy in football and joining the Big East is the most likely scenario IF the Big East were to expand. Cincy may follow our model if it works well for us. They are watching. The Big East would be foolish not to take Cincy back if they are game, IMO. Another very good program with good recruiting grounds and a history in the Big East. Xavier may object, but F Xavier.

Cincy and Syracuse are the only schools we would probably want to add and screw up the round robin. Cincy could happen, Cuse is a long way off from getting the ACC boot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cincinnati going Indy in football and joining the Big East is the most likely scenario IF the Big East were to expand. Cincy may follow our model if it works well for us. They are watching. The Big East would be foolish not to take Cincy back if they are game, IMO. Another very good program with good recruiting grounds and a history in the Big East. Xavier may object, but F Xavier.

Cincy and Syracuse are the only schools we would probably want to add and screw up the round robin. Still, Cuse is a long way off from getting the ACC boot.
Cincy would be the only natural fit for team that would possibly go from their conference especially if they see no way to get to a P5 conference. They are a good fit with the teams in the west of the Big East, are a former member and have a good basketball tradition. I would have no issues renewing our rivalry with them but definitely not UMASS, Dayton or even St. Louis. Thought I doubt it happens anytime soon based on being able to play a round robin schedule.

Reaction Score
Wait that can't be right. Revenue would increase $100 mm by adding 1 program? Going from 11 to 12 is a dilution of only 9% so everyone's take would go up about 10%.

Cincy is doing very well in the AAC so they have no reason to leave. I'd rather have Pitt or Syracuse back but they aint leavin the ACC. Pitt is a good bridge to the NBE-W. Temple would make sense because they are most similar to UConn. Perhaps Wichita State belongs in the Big East and not the AAC.

Nothing is permanent.

1610681846516.png

Reaction Score
The only school I would let in is Cincinnati so we can watch Xavier kick them out, all for a laugh.

11 works best.

Reaction Score
Why are some of you even entertaining the idea of letting a mid major team into a power conference? That’s just stupid and does nothing to help the big east. Sorry to break it to y’all but no one cares about Davidson, Dayton, Drake(??), or UMass..also 11 is the magic number for a round robin. Expanding to 12 is never happening and shouldn’t happen unless Cuse, Notre Dame, or Pitt want to come back (and that is never ever happening either)

Reaction Score
The Big East would be better off dropping a couple of schools rather than adding. DePaul has done nothing but take money since it joined. Butler really doesn’t fit. Seton Hall was a power... for about 3 years in the 1980s. Same with Georgetown though they were relevant for longer. But have essentially decided to be the Catholic Ivy. They don’t care if they win or lose as long as their faculty gets tapped for White House jobs But they couldn’t be dumped due to the fact that they bring the academic prestige every league requires. With a league of second tier commuter academic institutions saving Gtown and UConn they are needed as the league’ s Vanderbilt.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom