Who Will Be the 12th Big East Team?

The Big East would be better off dropping a couple of schools rather than adding. DePaul has done nothing but take money since it joined. Butler really doesn’t fit. Seton Hall was a power... for about 3 years in the 1980s. Same with Georgetown though they were relevant for longer. But have essentially decided to be the Catholic Ivy. They don’t care if they win or lose as long as their faculty gets tapped for White House jobs But they couldn’t be dumped due to the fact that they bring the academic prestige every league requires. With a league of second tier commuter academic institutions saving Gtown and UConn they are needed as the league’ s Vanderbilt.
Georgetown is perhaps the biggest sleeping giant in college basketball. Once they figure out their coaching situation, they have all the resources, history, and pedigree to become Villanova 2.0

Need to stay at 11. 20 conferences games at a round robin cycle is already pushing the limit for conference games.

I hope this is a joke
People insisting on turning the Big East into another AAC are idiots. It wasn't even exciting playing Memphis half the time, and now some "fans" would want us to play Liberty? LIBERTY?!? Come on

I wouldn't be surprised to see Syracuse come back to their roots over the next 10 years or so, especially if the landscape changes dramatically and if they struggle to find their identity post Boeheim.
Yeah. No chance. Syracuse and BC are not giving up their spots in the ACC. Not now. Not ever. Why in gods name would they leave the top basketball conference even forgetting about football? While you can argue the big East is a power conference, on no planet is it equal to the ACC.

Georgetown is perhaps the biggest sleeping giant in college basketball. Once they figure out their coaching situation, they have all the resources, history, and pedigree to become Villanova 2.0
Maybe but I doubt it. They honestly don’t care about this any more. They are far more interested in being in the top 25 national universities than in the Tip 25 in basketball. They are effectively taking an Ivy League view of athletics while collecting a payment from the Big East. But as I said they bring a level of prestige to a conference of mostly 2nd tier academic institutions. They play the role that Vanderbilt plays in the SEC. People from St Johns and DePaul and Providence can be like the farmer who entered his mule in the Kentucky Derby. Don’t expect him to win but claim to benefit by the company.

Maybe but I doubt it. They honestly don’t care about this any more. They are far more interested in being in the top 25 national universities than in the Tip 25 in basketball. They are effectively taking an Ivy League view of athletics while collecting a payment from the Big East. But as I said they bring a level of prestige to a conference of mostly 2nd tier academic institutions. They play the role that Vanderbilt plays in the SEC. People from St Johns and DePaul and Providence can be like the farmer who entered his mule in the Kentucky Derby. Don’t expect him to win but claim to benefit by the company.

I don’t know if that’s true. They’ve just been significantly impacted by the rise of UVA and, to a lesser extent, Virginia Tech (and, like everyone else in the Northeast, Villanova). They used to have a monopoly on the talent rich DMV, but that’s just not the case anymore.

as someone who lived in DC from for a handful of years recently, I also think one of their bigger problems is the Verizon Center. It seats like 24k for basketball, which is just far too big for a program Georgetown's size. Even when they get a “good” college basketball crowd of 12-13k, it still feels empty. Imo they should build their own facility across the Key Bridge in Rosslyn, VA.

But also keep in mind they have the number 11 recruiting class in the nation next year, including the Big East’s only 5 star.

I hope this is a joke
Sort of. It's great to be playing familiar basketball schools again but this isn't a long term solution for UConn. Liberty is on an upward trajectory in all sports and it's pumping money into athletics like Jordan Belfort pumped . . . you know. The school is only 50 years old. Football finished top 20 and basketball is in first place in its conference. Adding a program from Virginia is a good move.

As has been noted many times, the BE needs to expand - doing so would enable a two division league, and with that, a few less BE games per season (i.e., play teams in your division twice....) and a more room for OOC games.

While no longer a factor for us, football may still drive otherwise candiate schools (big fan base, proximity, large stadium availability - such as Temple) from even considering an invite.

So in my view, I think we should strongly consider a few A-10 schools - with Dayton or UMASS my choices. Dayton (despite) their current record would be my first choice, since Dayton has a strong fan base, and since their location would be a perfect fit in a "west" BE division. UMASS would offer us a true local rival (assuming DH could still out-recruit them) -ala when they had Cal and Camby. I supporsse we could consdier URI for the same reason too - but I don't know much about the size of their fan base and basketball venue.

I would even consider BC coming back - but despite their mediocre ACC performance in both sports, I don't they would want to play independent football and the bad feelings probably still persist.
FWIW I vote for UD

The Big East would be better off dropping a couple of schools rather than adding. DePaul has done nothing but take money since it joined. Butler really doesn’t fit. Seton Hall was a power... for about 3 years in the 1980s. Same with Georgetown though they were relevant for longer. But have essentially decided to be the Catholic Ivy. They don’t care if they win or lose as long as their faculty gets tapped for White House jobs But they couldn’t be dumped due to the fact that they bring the academic prestige every league requires. With a league of second tier commuter academic institutions saving Gtown and UConn they are needed as the league’ s Vanderbilt.
so much hate for the 3rd best basketball conference in the country since it's founding. love that it drives you so crazy.

P5 contraction is coming. It will be one of our former BE conference mates with a poor football program.
We are already in the BE, we can't join again...

Oh you meant another ex BE member with a lousy FB team...RU sure?

so much hate for the 3rd best basketball conference in the country since it's founding. love that it drives you so crazy.
Guy is a masochist, he's been bludgeoned on this issue for years now.

Griggs

Yale Bowl portal 8
I like 11 teams. But if wanted, I would say Cincinnati. But don't see it happening because of Xavier, and their football team is on the rise and would not go independent.
So 11 is good.

Fishy

Puncher of Throats
As has been noted many times, the BE needs to expand - doing so would enable a two division league, and with that, a few less BE games per season (i.e., play teams in your division twice....) and a more room for OOC games.

This is dumb. Stop thinking it.

If (and it's a big if) the Big East were to expand there's no way they go to divisions in basketball.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
I think 11 schools is more perfect than any situation we’ve been in in my lifetime. Why are we trying to fix something that isn’t broken whatsoever?

The only way the Big East considers expanding again is if the opportunity comes along for a really high level program that raises the profile of the whole conference long-term (see, “UConn”).

Top Bottom