Who will be our starting point guard next season? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Who will be our starting point guard next season?

Who will be our starting point guard next season?

• RJ Cole

Votes: 67 20.4%
  • Jalen Gaffney

Votes: 27 8.2%
  • Andre Jackson, Jr.

Votes: 57 17.3%
  • Rashool Diggins

Votes: 35 10.6%
  • Corey Floyd, Jr.

Votes: 13 4.0%
  • Stephon Castle

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • A transfer or recruit who is not on the current roster

Votes: 123 37.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
I haven't seen much of Karaban but I did watch all his Peach Jam games. His three point shot was off but I could tell he's a good shooter and seems to have a mature offensive game. He was 100% from the ft line on like 40+ attempts. He seemed good at getting to the rim from the perimeter but he really struggled finishishing against athleticism at the rim, a lot of missed layups.
Did you miss the game where he drove down the middle and finished with a dunk through contact (possible and 1) to win the game?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
No it wont. With Sanogo, Jackson, and Hawkins you aren’t rebuilding. All you need is guard play and shot creators. Next season can be much better than this season if he’d just stop being stuck in his ways
Agreed. In order to go where you want (a much better season) you have to leave where you have been. Only he can institute that change and have the courage to say "I need help" to take the risk. I am not ready to bet the farm on his doing this; especially with a guaranteed contract through March 31, 2027 at $2.9 mil. But you never know. Maybe he will go outside his mental/emotional comfort zone since his financial security has already been established ($15 mil more through March 31, 2027.

Reaction Score
Jackson can't be the PG when he doesn't value the ball by making difficult unnecessary passes that lead to turnovers.

And he can't be a shut down defender when he doesn't know how to properly use his athleticism to stay in front of his man. Being active doesn't make you a good defender. Last night he was the worst defender on Teddy Allen.

Polley and Martin were better. Even when Cole held his own when Allen tried to post him up.
You can't play good defense flatfooted, like Jackson. That's why he doesn't stay in front of his man, and gives baseline. Reminds me of Donyell Marshall, who according to Calhoun, "couldn't guard a chair".

Reaction Score
Cole will come back. I had some time to think about it. He was a UConn fan as a kid. I don’t think he wants to go out this way. I don’t think he wants this to be his legacy. He has an emotional attachment to the program.
glad to hear you had time to think about it and have figured it out for him
Who is the 2 guard?
hawkins

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I think the original plan going in to the season was for Diggins to be the PG for 2022-2023, being he is a pure PG. The fact he could not crack the rotation even a little says a lot. If Cole is not returning we need to look at the portal. Definitely not giving up on Diggins and maybe he makes huge strides in the off season, but he will have to fight for those minutes once again next season.

Reaction Score
This isn’t going to be a popular opinion, but if Clingan is good enough to play center we need Sanogo to be able to possibly play stretches at the 4. Maybe not ideal, but if Sanogo wants to play in the NBA he’s going to have to develop a better handle with a mid range game and be able to make an occasional wide open 3 to keep opponents honest. If he can play the 4 it makes us a much more dangerous team.

Reaction Score
RJ is done with college
Sool should have played a ton earlier in the season - he is a pure PG, something UConn needs to be effective. Trying to cram a proven SG into a PG mold is not the answer.
I like the xfer portal for any position but PG
Work with him this summer and give Sool the ball next year - if he is still at UConn
Diggins is from my area, saw him play in high school, kid has some ability just wish he was given a chance to to have played more in the early part of the season. Was really disappointed he was not. I know he said he wanted to be UConn's next great PG, pretty hard to be that without playing time. Why recruiit him if he gets little playing time. I hope coach Hurley has a plan for him next season ?

Reaction Score
This isn’t going to be a popular opinion, but if Clingan is good enough to play center we need Sanogo to be able to possibly play stretches at the 4. Maybe not ideal, but if Sanogo wants to play in the NBA he’s going to have to develop a better handle with a mid range game and be able to make an occasional wide open 3 to keep opponents honest. If he can play the 4 it makes us a much more dangerous team.
You are correct. This is not going to be popular lol.

Certain matchups, maybe. Otherwise, hard no. And not with Jackson in at the same time. Sorry. Shudder.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one here not giving up on Diggins next year?
He wants to be the next great UConn PG.........give him a chance, he was very skilled in high school. I know college is a big change but we may have the answer to next's years team already on the roster

Reaction Score
If there is a clear high major PG in the portal, we have to go for it. If not, I'm of the opinion that sool and Ajax take a step next year and be able to handle the ball, but we would need Hawkins and Karaban to be solid wings

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
The Summer will tell us a lot. I expect SJ will pass AA for the 4 slot. I'm not sure what we do at PG. Likely transfer unless RD shows significant improvement.

I think next season could be similar to this one. The year after is where we really have a chance to be special. Assuming Hawkins is still here...they wouldn't lose anyone aside from AA and JG. Meanwhile gaining Castle and the rest of 2023 class. I think they could make a really deep run. Sanogo and Jackson as seniors with Hawk, Johnson and Diggins as juniors.

Reaction Score
I think when the seniors talk about "last time playing with this group" they mean the entire group, not necessarily individuals. If just one player is gone, it won't be the same group next season. I'd wait before reading too much into post-game comments.

I really want Cole back. His overall body of work was impressive this season. We just need one or two more good ball handlers and a couple guys that can shoot (preferably guys that do both). I've seen a bunch of guys that shoot 100% from 3 in their mix tapes. Get a couple of them.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
maybe but I thought Hurley wanted this team to get out and run and we barely saw any of it. And when we did have a fast break, we couldnt make layups.
A good part of the reason we couldn’t do that was because we weren’t a good finishing team on the perimeter. Hopefully next year we can be better there. Andre needs to play a lot of pick up ball and hopefully camps open back up this summer.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Sanogo needs to be the 2nd option. Need Hawkins to be the guy. And then get him complimentary shooters in the portal or move Gaffney to off ball.

And for the love of god can Akok find himself? Our offense needs a stretch 4, Akok looked good for 30 seconds on that jumper. Whaley can’t hit that consistently.
Maybe Akok can find himself if he actually gets to stay on the floor. I'm sure someone's going to tell me it's his defense, but I'm still struggling to understand his lack of PT, especially prior to the foot issue cover the past few weeks.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Did you miss the game where he drove down the middle and finished with a dunk through contact (possible and 1) to win the game?
He did it once all year. It's an issue

Reaction Score
Maybe Akok can find himself if he actually gets to stay on the floor. I'm sure someone's going to tell me it's his defense, but I'm still struggling to understand his lack of PT, especially prior to the foot issue cover the past few weeks.
He's kind of a mirage: a 6'10" guy who can hit threes and block shots from the help side. The trouble is that he's got big holes in the rest of his game. My gut tells me Johnson over Akok.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one here not giving up on Diggins next year?
I hope he gets to sit down with coach Hurley and has a discussion over giving him an opportunity to run the team. He is a pure point guard and has skills, give him a chance, he could develop into a Talik Brown type player or possibly better ?

Reaction Score
I'm sure with all that we saw from Diggins this season he's rea... oh
Well Floyd sure showed some...
I mean Gaffney will be a senior.
Really looking forward to months of lineup speculation and overhype of our rosters so the team can take a crap in the first round again next year.
It was coming anyway but I thought we might have a few weeks before it started.
I may be wrong but I don’t see gaffney coming back. He played much worse then Hurley could have imagined. I think we bring in a point guard from portal. I also can’t see Richie springs back. He has had a scholarship for 3 season and can’t get on the floor. I also don’t think Akok is coming back

Reaction Score
I may be wrong but I don’t see gaffney coming back. He played much worse then Hurley could have imagined. I think we bring in a point guard from portal. I also can’t see Richie springs back. He has had a scholarship for 3 season and can’t get on the floor. I also don’t think Akok is coming back
I agree. I’ve been on the loyal train the past couple years. But I think it’s time to move on from a few of these guys. We had no one this year who could take anyone off the dribble. It’s time to find some guys who can help in areas the team needs most.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
I think you're 67% right

Reaction Score
Possible rotation by Big East play:

PG: AJax (15) / Diggins (15) / Gaffney (10)
SG: Floyd (15) / AJax (15) / Gaffney (10)
SF: Hawkins (25) / Karaban (10) / Floyd (5)
PF: Akok (25) / Samson (10) / Karaban (5)
C: Sanogo (30) / Samson (10)

A transfer guard and forward would definitely help, but playing the young guys wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. That way you see what they can do. Sink or swim.
AJax as a shooting guard for 15 minutes a game? No thank you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom