Who will be our starting point guard next season? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who will be our starting point guard next season?

Who will be our starting point guard next season?

• RJ Cole

Votes: 67 20.4%
  • Jalen Gaffney

Votes: 27 8.2%
  • Andre Jackson, Jr.

Votes: 57 17.3%
  • Rashool Diggins

Votes: 35 10.6%
  • Corey Floyd, Jr.

Votes: 13 4.0%
  • Stephon Castle

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • A transfer or recruit who is not on the current roster

Votes: 123 37.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
RJ is done with college
Sool should have played a ton earlier in the season - he is a pure PG, something UConn needs to be effective. Trying to cram a proven SG into a PG mold is not the answer.
I like the xfer portal for any position but PG
Work with him this summer and give Sool the ball next year - if he is still at UConn
PC did fine with a pg from the transfer portal

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I have no idea, but I'm not feeling optimistic about our team next season without some solid transfers. Gaffney and/or Diggins can't be starting if we're serious about getting into the tournament next season. The freshmen were highly touted coming in and Diggins and Johnson didn't get any run at all during the season, Hawkins only got a little bit and was quite underwhelming. That leaves us with a completely scoring deficient Jackson, Akok whose career has been derailed by an achilles injury, Gaffney who has somehow regressed in his time here from a mediocre player to one that's completely irrelevant, a bunch of freshmen which basically includes Diggins and Johnson, and Sanogo. It's not looking good. We need transfers, or we'll be guaranteed to do worse next season.
Freshmen cant develop without PT
DH screwed that up and we have to hope it doesn't turn into the negative that could occur in a few areas of the program

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Would have said Cole or a transfer before last night. Presser has me leaning towards a transfer.
Think about two transfers because we need more than one. Quite an afterthought isn't it? "Hey, we don't have any point guard for next year!" Amazing. "Oh wait! We can make AJ the point guard. Then we will be even longer". WFT

Reaction Score
I'm sure with all that we saw from Diggins this season he's rea... oh
Well Floyd sure showed some...
I mean Gaffney will be a senior.
Really looking forward to months of lineup speculation and overhype of our rosters so the team can take a crap in the first round again next year.
It was coming anyway but I thought we might have a few weeks before it started.
We’re only a few months away from the first article about how someone had gained 900 lbs of muscle and someone else made 90000 straight 3s in the gym.

Reaction Score
I’m curious what did you hear in the presser to make you confident he won’t return? I watched it and didn’t come away thinking he was any more or less likely to return than I did going into the game. Seemed emotional but that’s not surprising after a season ending loss
Hurley referenced a number of times coaching these guys for the last time. Both Martin and Cole referenced a number of times playing with this group for the last time. There's always a possibility something changes, but it seemed very clear that this was something that had been discussed with Hurley and there minds were made up as of yesterday.

Reaction Score
Next year looking like:
  • transfer/diggins/gaffney
  • hawkins/floyd
  • jackson/karaban(?)
  • transfer/johnson/akok/karaban
  • sanogo/clingan

we have nothing proven at pg or pf, will need to go to portal for those.

Reaction Score
Hurley referenced a number of times coaching these guys for the last time. Both Martin and Cole referenced a number of times playing with this group for the last time. There's always a possibility something changes, but it seemed very clear that this was something that had been discussed with Hurley and there minds were made up as of yesterday.
Polley and Whaley said all the same things after the Maryland loss last year, things change. I don't expect them to come back, but wouldn't get hung up on their quotes after an emotional loss

Reaction Score
Polley and Whaley said all the same things after the Maryland loss last year, things change. I don't expect them to come back, but wouldn't get hung up on their quotes after an emotional loss
As I said, things can change. I was specifically responding to the question of what gave me that impression in the press conference yesterday. There was plenty in that press conference yesterday to say they're not coming back at this point. And they're both undoubtedly more marketable overseas than Whaley and Polley, so that probably also doesn't help our cause.

Reaction Score
This is wishful thinking but with a line up of Diggins, Floyd, Gaffney, Jackson, Hawkins, and Karaban on the wings what are the chances we become a running team?

We haven't been a running team since 2009. It's not our game anymore. We play great defense and grind it out in the half court; won two natty's that way.

Reaction Score
We haven't been a running team since 2009. It's not our game anymore. We play great defense and grind it out in the half court; won two natty's that way.
True but we've also had a lot of tournament games that have been painful to watch. I would love to see something different on the floor.

Reaction Score
True but we've also had a lot of tournament games that have been painful to watch. I would love to see something different on the floor.
1000000000% agree. We are not an enjoyable team to watch. I love the effort and toughness, but it's like watching paint dry.

Reaction Score
maybe but I thought Hurley wanted this team to get out and run and we barely saw any of it. And when we did have a fast break, we couldnt make layups.
We had what, 12-14 fast break points last night? Would have had more if the refs called the foul on Sanogo's dunk attempt.

Reaction Score
Diggins was literally unplayable in the few minutes he got.

If we had booted a game or two along the way because of Diggins, people would be screaming about how we can't afford to stifle our momentum trying to develop a guy who probably isn't the answer anyway.
Did Diggins ever play minutes with decent talent on the court? Putting him in with the other bench players at the end of the game is no way to develop a freshmen.

Reaction Score
If Cole comes back, gaffney probably doesn’t. I think that’s fine. I just think Cole is probably tired of college.

Reaction Score
The starting backcourt next year is probably Jackson and Hawkins. Each has to work on a major aspect of their game (shooting for one, handle for the other) but that can be a very successful duo, especially if we have dudes who can shoot on the floor along with Jackson and Sanogo.

Reaction Score
Last off-season Hurley kept mentioning "building from recruiting" AKA "no transfers"

If that continues then it'll probably be pre-season battle between Gaffney/Sool/AJax.

My money is on Gaffney, with a starting five of Gaff/Hawkins/AJax/Akok/Sanogo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom