Who will be our starting point guard next season? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Who will be our starting point guard next season?

Who will be our starting point guard next season?

• RJ Cole

Votes: 67 20.4%
  • Jalen Gaffney

Votes: 27 8.2%
  • Andre Jackson, Jr.

Votes: 57 17.3%
  • Rashool Diggins

Votes: 35 10.6%
  • Corey Floyd, Jr.

Votes: 13 4.0%
  • Stephon Castle

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • A transfer or recruit who is not on the current roster

Votes: 123 37.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
I might be the only one on here but I think we will be better next season.

As much as I love Whaley, Martin, and Polley they were extremely one dimensional on offense. None could get their own shots and it showed on teams tendencies to hound Sanogo. We will be better with players that are more multi-use.

Even if that means struggling early in the year I think the end of season result will be better.
I'm with you. Lower floor, higher ceiling.

I think the defense takes a half-step back but the offense gets more room to grow. Also, a sophomore Hawkins building on his play before the concussion, gives us a dude who can really get buckets from everywhere.

Reaction Score

I think the defense takes a half-step back but the offense gets more room to grow. Also, a sophomore Hawkins building on his play before the concussion, gives us a dude who can really get buckets from everywhere.
If we bring in 2 shot creators/ball handlers then even our floor would be higher imo

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

If we bring in 2 shot creators/ball handlers then even our floor would be higher imo
Sanogo needs to be the 2nd option. Need Hawkins to be the guy. And then get him complimentary shooters in the portal or move Gaffney to off ball.

And for the love of god can Akok find himself? Our offense needs a stretch 4, Akok looked good for 30 seconds on that jumper. Whaley can’t hit that consistently.

Reaction Score

As much as I love Whaley, Martin, and Polley they were extremely one dimensional on offense. None could get their own shots and it showed on teams tendencies to hound Sanogo. We will be better with players that are more multi-use.

Even if that means struggling early in the year I think the end of season result will be better.
I wouldn't lump Martin in with the other 2.

Martin had a post-up game, offensive rebound game, hit a really high% of 3s both off wide open looks and also occasionally running off screens/designed action, and could occasionally attack off a dribble, especially when we had him come off that curl on the right wing. He was a pretty complete SF and an extremely valuable player.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
You just reminded me that I’m less than a month away from that annual run to Stop & Shop for the Manischewitz 5lb matzah box.
it's amazing how much manischewitz has upped their matzoh game in the past few years. amazing, almost shmura-like. almost. the israeli stuff had a good run there for a while, with crispness and flavor leading the pack, and taking the game away from our guys who descended into mushiness and blah, but mani has taken the crown back. cool. buy 'murican!
signed 'matzoh expert by day, cracker expert by night.' lol.

hmmm, dorito flavored matzoh...... hmmm....

Reaction Score

A lot of it is dependent on bringing in good options from the portal, and no reason to think that won't happen. But I agree, I think we have the chance to have a better team next year. Hawkins, Jackson, Sanogo are a good core to build the starting lineup around, and I like Diggins/Floyd/Karaban/Johnson as bench options.

Now the 2 pieces missing in that starting lineup are by far the 2 most important ones in a legitimate PG and a 4 who can stretch the floor and create space for Sanogo, so there's a really big variance on where the team ends up. But I trust Hurley to see the flaws and build a better roster

Reaction Score
Possible rotation by Big East play:

PG: AJax (15) / Diggins (15) / Gaffney (10)
SG: Floyd (15) / AJax (15) / Gaffney (10)
SF: Hawkins (25) / Karaban (10) / Floyd (5)
PF: Akok (25) / Samson (10) / Karaban (5)
C: Sanogo (30) / Samson (10)

A transfer guard and forward would definitely help, but playing the young guys wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. That way you see what they can do. Sink or swim.

Reaction Score
it's amazing how much manischewitz has upped their matzoh game in the past few years. amazing, almost shmura-like. almost. the israeli stuff had a good run there for a while, with crispness and flavor leading the pack, and taking the game away from our guys who descended into mushiness and blah, but mani has taken the crown back. cool. buy 'murican!
signed 'matzoh expert by day, cracker expert by night.' lol.

hmmm, dorito flavored matzoh...... hmmm....
Facts! Don’t want to sabotage this thread, but you are spot on. Mani was left for dead around 15 years ago and have upped their game. BUT… if I was willing to stomach (no matzah pun intended) the cost of shmura matzah for all 8 days (I only buy enough for the seders), I’d be quite happy. Those smoky charred edges all around makes it the apizza version of matzah. I also strongly suggest making matzah pizza with shmura.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t read into the press conference last night on whether Cole returns; was right after a crushing loss and I’m sure was still fuming from Allen taunting him during the game.

Reaction Score
Whats the eligibility for all our players for next year? Anyone have the chart handy?

Reaction Score
There is an outside chance (but rather slim) that RJ decides to comeback. If not Sool IMO needs to be put into the fire. Otherwise look in the transfer portal. The dust will settle in the next few weeks as far as what RJ decides. Martin IMO is gone.

Reaction Score
AJacks would be the best point guard talent. He should be the starting point guard. Surround him with Hawk, 2 shooters with size, and Sanogo and UCONN has a chance to be good.

Karaban and Samson Johnson are two guys who can be x-factors if they can play big minutes next year. They could really change the trajectory of UCONN's season.

I expect AJacks, Hawk, and Sanogo to be good next year. A lot will depend on what 2 guys play alongside them(preferably elite shooters).

Reaction Score
I love RJ Cole. Love the way he plays. Love his leadership. He was the perfect PG for this program to transition out of the pit we were in and into a top25 team. That said, it is time to take the next step (back to conference title games, elite 8's, etc) with a PG who can create both for himself and for others. The 'for others' part is crucial. I believe Hawkins & Castle can be a formidable 1-2 punch next year (from the guard position), I expect Sanogo to return as well .. I hope Diggins can be the one to facilitate it. But make no mistake, we need to improve our offensive efficiency. Watching us get run to half court on a DHO & our inability to counter high pressure in the 1/2 court was gut wrenching. We must do better.
Castle is 2023!

Reaction Score
Zero expectations for him. I hope he's able to recover and play well again but he just didn't look anywhere close to the same player this year
My hot take is that he actually was close to the same player, but with a better team around him, the fact that he doesn't actually have a role on a winning 5-on-5 team was more glaring.

Guys with his profile and skillset always look better individually than their actual contributions to a winning team.

He can block shots and his shooting was pretty good, but he's too skinny to defend the post, too slow to defend guards, doesn't do enough on offense unless you can run lobs or pick and pop for him, and can't create for himself or others.

Reaction Score
Karaban is much better than advertised, and I am sure Hurley knows this.
I haven't seen much of Karaban but I did watch all his Peach Jam games. His three point shot was off but I could tell he's a good shooter and seems to have a mature offensive game. He was 100% from the ft line on like 40+ attempts. He seemed good at getting to the rim from the perimeter but he really struggled finishishing against athleticism at the rim, a lot of missed layups.

Reaction Score
It'll be a rebuilding year for sure
To rebuild means Hurley had to build something in the first place. 2007, for example, was a rebuilding year after an Elite 8 team with 5 NBA picks. You can argue 2010 was a rebuilding year after a Final Four run and losing Price, Thabeet and Adrien.

We haven't accomplished enough in the past 4 years to have a rebuilding year. Next year is the first season in which Hurley won't have any Ollie players. Next year is the season we should be fully built - NOT rebuilding. The fact of the matter is that none of the point guards that Hurley recruits (e.g., Diggins, Gaffney) look to have the ability to make significant contributions.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen much of Karaban but I did watch all his Peach Jam games. His three point shot was off but I could tell he's a good shooter and seems to have a mature offensive game. He was 100% from the ft line on like 40+ attempts. He seemed good at getting to the rim from the perimeter but he really struggled finishishing against athleticism at the rim, a lot of missed layups.
As long as he can contribute more than Polley while providing outside shooting, that's fine as a stretch 4. He doesn't need to be a focal point of the offense creating for himself.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I think AJ will play point for us but won’t be listed as the starting PG. I think that will be Floyd. And I’m very excited about that backcourt duo.

Reaction Score
For a young kid he’s got sound fundamentals already. Hurley might suck as a game coach but he is a very good teaching coach. Karaban will only get better and more confident under coach Hurley.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom