Who will be our starting point guard next season? | The Boneyard

Who will be our starting point guard next season?

Who will be our starting point guard next season?

• RJ Cole

Votes: 67 20.4%
  • Jalen Gaffney

Votes: 27 8.2%
  • Andre Jackson, Jr.

Votes: 57 17.3%
  • Rashool Diggins

Votes: 35 10.6%
  • Corey Floyd, Jr.

Votes: 13 4.0%
  • Stephon Castle

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • A transfer or recruit who is not on the current roster

Votes: 123 37.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
I'm not really sure but we need scorers, hopefully Floyd, Hawkins, or Karaban can create & score.

Reaction Score
It’s all just guessing at this point. Really not comfortable choosing any of these right now. A good group of backups but no clear starter.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Cole will come back. I had some time to think about it. He was a UConn fan as a kid. I don’t think he wants to go out this way. I don’t think he wants this to be his legacy. He has an emotional attachment to the program. Martin is done.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
This is the biggest mystery to me. Curious what others' thoughts are.

Anyone's guess, but I'll go by process of elimination

Not Gaffney
Not Diggins, he played so little this year I can't imagine he's the guy
Not Jackson, hard to be a PG AND shut down defender AND rebounder

So Cole or a freshman or a transfer

Reaction Score
I think portal is going to be the move. Would not be surprised to see Lofton from Bonas transfer, and UConn would likely target him although I’m not a huge fan of his game.

Pipe dream would be Scottie Pippen Jr, I think he ends up hitting the portal.

Reaction Score
Cole will come back. I had some time to think about it. He was a UConn fan as a kid. I don’t think he wants to go out this way. I don’t think he wants this to be his legacy. He has an emotional attachment to the program. Martin is done.

The kid already has a master's degree and you only get so many years before your body breaks down. In his position, I'm going to play overseas and making a a few hundred thou a year for as long as I can tolerate it.

evmore

FRIENDOftheprogram
Reaction Score
I love RJ Cole. Love the way he plays. Love his leadership. He was the perfect PG for this program to transition out of the pit we were in and into a top25 team. That said, it is time to take the next step (back to conference title games, elite 8's, etc) with a PG who can create both for himself and for others. The 'for others' part is crucial. I believe Hawkins & Castle can be a formidable 1-2 punch next year (from the guard position), I expect Sanogo to return as well .. I hope Diggins can be the one to facilitate it. But make no mistake, we need to improve our offensive efficiency. Watching us get run to half court on a DHO & our inability to counter high pressure in the 1/2 court was gut wrenching. We must do better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love RJ Cole. Love the way he plays. Love his leadership. He was the perfect PG for this program to transition out of the pit we were in and into a top25 team. That said, it is time to take the next step (back to conference title games, elite 8's, etc) with a PG who can create both for himself and for others. The 'for others' part is crucial. I believe Hawkins & Castle can be a formidable 1-2 punch next year .. I hope Diggins can be the one to facilitate it.
Castle is recruiting class of 2023. He won’t be here this upcoming season.

Reaction Score
This is wishful thinking but with a line up of Diggins, Floyd, Gaffney, Jackson, Hawkins, and Karaban on the wings what are the chances we become a running team?

Reaction Score
Anyone's guess, but I'll go by process of elimination

Not Gaffney
Not Diggins, he played so little this year I can't imagine he's the guy
Not Jackson, hard to be a PG AND shut down defender AND rebounder

So Cole or a freshman or a transfer
Jackson can't be the PG when he doesn't value the ball by making difficult unnecessary passes that lead to turnovers.

And he can't be a shut down defender when he doesn't know how to properly use his athleticism to stay in front of his man. Being active doesn't make you a good defender. Last night he was the worst defender on Teddy Allen.

Polley and Martin were better. Even when Cole held his own when Allen tried to post him up.

Reaction Score
I'm sure with all that we saw from Diggins this season he's rea... oh
Well Floyd sure showed some...
I mean Gaffney will be a senior.
Really looking forward to months of lineup speculation and overhype of our rosters so the team can take a crap in the first round again next year.
It was coming anyway but I thought we might have a few weeks before it started.

Reaction Score
That press conference last night pretty much guaranteed to me that it will not be Cole.
I’m curious what did you hear in the presser to make you confident he won’t return? I watched it and didn’t come away thinking he was any more or less likely to return than I did going into the game. Seemed emotional but that’s not surprising after a season ending loss

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
RJ is done with college
Sool should have played a ton earlier in the season - he is a pure PG, something UConn needs to be effective. Trying to cram a proven SG into a PG mold is not the answer.
I like the xfer portal for any position but PG
Work with him this summer and give Sool the ball next year - if he is still at UConn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom