Who will be our best player this year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who will be our best player this year?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Several good possibilities since "best" is a bit different than "most valuable" which is different than "highest potential", "most skilled" or "best NBA prospect".

All that considered, I think DC is the best player because he completely forces the flow of the game on both ends of the court.

I think AK brings the most versatility and he will be the on-court vocal leader. He may be both most UConn's most valuable player as the glue guy and most underrated.

Castle is the biggest unknown. If he plays like his rankings suggests, UConn is a serious contender for repeating. And, I'll go out on a sturdy limb and suggest his progress will have some bumps, but so long as he is literally and figuratively hitting his stride in March, that is good.

We don't need Final Four level good from Newton but 85%-90% of that consistently will do wonders for the offensive efficiency. He will also pick up some of the rebounding slack from AJ's departure.

Reaction Score
This is insane.
Insane is a stretch for me, (no stats to back up) my eye test last season is the team struggled the most at times when he wasn't on the court.

I expect him to be right there for best player on team this year.

Reaction Score
Insane is a stretch for me, (no stats to back up) my eye test last season is the team struggled the most at times when he wasn't on the court.

I expect him to be right there for best player on team this year.
He was indispensable because he was our only power forward. He wasn't our best player, that's just stupid. He can become our beat player in the future, he certainly wasn't our best player last season.

Reaction Score
Few players, if any, will impact the game defensively the way Clingan should this season. If he manages to score a very doable 12-15 ppg, it would be difficult not to view him as our “best” player. Karaban’s offense should get some national attention too and considering he’ll be 21 in November, could have some decisions to make next spring.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
I have to go with Karaban too, like last year AJ was the glue guy. Karaban will be the guy on the floor the most minutes keeping it all together, hitting back breaker shots or the unexpected drive to the rim at a time where it has significant impact on the game, Newton running the show makes it an interesting race & is very debatable. These 2 are the guys that make the rest go.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
This is insane.
Sure thing. Maybe some people's definitions of "best player" might differ than yours. Is that a problem? Just like your definition of "debt" differs from most normal people. (amirite @shizzle787 ?)

August_West

Reaction Score
What does this stat mean?
Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

August_West

Reaction Score
The ability to burn and not be burned. You're sick with the burn!

Ask @polycom about a man who keeps his word. For if you are not a man who keeps his word you're not actually a man,. (sounds like Clint Eastwood or Marlon Brando, but that might be an original, I hope its not, Im used to playing in cover bands ;-)

Reaction Score
Ask @polycom about a man who keeps his word. For if you are not a man who keeps his word you're not actually a man,. (sounds like Clint Eastwood or Marlon Brando, but that might be an original, I hope its not, Im used to playing in cover bands ;-)
This was pretty disappointing, clearly not your best burn.

Try harder.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
@Kitaman @August_West

Win Shares is a player statistic which attempts to divvy up credit for team success to the individuals on the team.
  1. Calculate points produced for each player. In 2008-09, James had an estimated 2345.9 points produced.
  2. Calculate offensive possessions for each player. James had an estimated 1928.1 offensive possessions in 2008-09.
  3. Calculate marginal offense for each player. Marginal offense is equal to (points produced) - 0.92 * (league points per possession) * (offensive possessions). For James this is 2345.9 - 0.92 * 1.083 * 1928.1 = 424.8. Note that this formula may produce a negative result for some players.
  4. Calculate marginal points per win. Marginal points per win reduces to 0.32 * (league points per game) * ((team pace) / (league pace)). For the 2008-09 Cavaliers this is 0.32 * 100.0 * (88.7 / 91.7) = 30.95.
  5. Credit Offensive Win Shares to the players.

The simplest explanation is its a Kenpom like relativity statistic but taken to a player level when they are in the game.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Sure thing. Maybe some people's definitions of "best player" might differ than yours. Is that a problem? Just like your definition of "debt" differs from most normal people. (amirite @shizzle787 ?)
Nice.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

haha! I had to scroll for context. But this was quality stuff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom